White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Can't a Tribune writer report what is clear? Does it have to be a spin-o-rama?

That "hop" Soriano does is a hot dog hop. And now the hot dog hop cost him. I'm not happy the hot dog hop hurt him, but I was hoping that one time he'd fall and have the ball head it's way to the wall.
Excellent point. I've always thought the same thing. He's a showboating hotdog. This is a guy who for all intents and purposes, was kicked off of three different teams before he came to the Cubs. The Yankees, Rangers and Nationals couldn't wait to get rid of him. Oh, but don't tell TricCo and the Nation of Dumb (Cubs fans) that. He hops to get to the ball faster, and it's just his little way of adding a little fun to the game.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe he should switch his number to 21.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
WSI High Priest

So the hop got his injury out of the way early this season. With the talk of even up to six weeks?

Great investment there. Glad this guy isn't in a Sox uniform.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky biddle View Post
Soriano claims (with help from Paul Sullivan) that he does the hop to help him concentrate on fly balls. He said he doesn't want to wait for the ball to come to him, so he hops. Right, and he walks to first base on home runs to conserve energy for the field. Not to, ya know, show up pitchers and draw attention to himself.

I've talked about this hop with some of my Cub fan friends. They see nothing wrong with it. I told them that if he ever got hurt because of it they'd have a different opinion. We'll see if their attitude has changed now.

(BTW- I'm not really clear on what we can quote or can't anymore, so I just paraphrased. Sorry if this isn't correct. I have to re-read the rules.)
Kinda like how basketball players do chinups on the rim to improve their concentration.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Placed on 15 day DL

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....1,662431.story
Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

On certain occasions I like to go to other team's boards to see what fans have to say about their team. This is the second or third time I've been over to NSBB and in the "Soriano Injury thread" somehow the thread got turned into an argument about how hustling and trying hard won't win you games... I wasted 10 minutes reading this stuff. Cub fans are fascinating.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
I'd be willing to bet it goes longer than 15 days.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
I'd be willing to bet it goes longer than 15 days.
Especially if Lou can effect the decision.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
On certain occasions I like to go to other team's boards to see what fans have to say about their team. This is the second or third time I've been over to NSBB and in the "Soriano Injury thread" somehow the thread got turned into an argument about how hustling and trying hard won't win you games... I wasted 10 minutes reading this stuff. Cub fans are fascinating.
Must be the remains of the Dusty Baker school of thought

Go Go White Sox!
2011 Attendance Record: 0-0

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post

That particular board, more than nearly any (exception being a few of the As boards) is completely insane.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:57 AM
WSI Personality

I read an article in the Sun Times this morning:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...ubnt17.article

There is a quote in there from Soriano that basically said that he hops to make the routine plays look difficult, since he sometimes does not make the play.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
I read an article in the Sun Times this morning:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...ubnt17.article

There is a quote in there from Soriano that basically said that he hops to make the routine plays look difficult, since he sometimes does not make the play.
Wow, that's exactly what he said in that article. If I saw that and I was a Cubs fan I'd be pissed to no end. What a jackass
Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Weird Cub injuries.

http://www.cobrabrigade.com/2008/04/...s_injuries.php
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

First off. It's a hot dog move, I don't care what anybody says. People are saying "It's not big deal". Not true, there's a reason Frank Robinson, his manager with the Nationals told him to knock it off.

Second, helps him maintain eye-level? Of course that seems logical, the best way to maintain an eye-level is to change your eye-level, fantastic.

It's not to blame entirely for the injury, but I'm glad it happened on that play. I've always told Lefty34, a fellow poster here and personal friend, one of these days his back spike is going to catch and he's going to be sorry he skips like a moron... finally it has come true.

But seriously, how are people HONESTLY defending that move? What other decent outfielder ever has used that move?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEx227 View Post
But seriously, how are people HONESTLY defending that move? What other decent outfielder ever has used that move?
None, because is just plain stupid. He's dropped balls because of that hop, and they probably won't be the last ones.

I don't consider a hot dog move. He can do it all he wants for all I care: 1)He looks like a moron and 2)He's going to screw up some easy plays with it (I guess you can add 3)He can get hurt doing it).