White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.1Dog View Post
A television news reporter perhaps? The home run porch would be awesome as well. I would also like them to enclose the outfield, not with seats necessarily, just a wall of sorts with arched windows as more of an homage to the old park.
And while we are on it, they should whitewash the entire exterior. Then Comskey Park would be even closer to returning!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Didn't Dye hit one up there, or was that one that hit the concourse and Farmio embellished it on the air? (I do recall Farmio saying Dye hit the Fundamentals deck.)
Jermaine yanked one foul that Farmer said would've had a chance to reach Fundamentals. I was at the game and didn't think it really would've got that far, but he sure did pole-axe it -- out toward the Upper Terrace Suite.

Vernam
Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
I finally see the scoreboard as a disappointment, as I noticed this last time at the park, there is a TON of dead space up there that could be used. When that board was built, it probably was state of the art, but all these newer parks can use the Hi-def technology to make their boards stand out.

I wouldn't mind the board being updated.

As far as the "Home Run" porch, they've already considered it and rejected it. The construction and having to re-do that whole side of the park is cost prohibitive. Considering that only a handful of homeruns have ever reached the Fundamentals deck, a right field "home run" porch would have to come down over the current concourse seats to ever have a chance at some upper deck home runs.

As far as making the windows green by just filming them; you do realize that folks will just pick and peel at it until it looks crappy, right?
um...NO home run has ever "reached" the fundamentals deck.
and "home run porch" is a misnomer. any proposed addition to right field would be more of a party deck/rooftop.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin_rcs View Post
The only thing that really bugs me about the scoreboard is how the fireworks do not shoot out of them. In the old park, roman candles would shoot out of the top of the spinners and the fireworks would appear right over the middle of the board. Not so with the current board. The fireworks are to the left and no pyrotechnics emit from the board itself at all.

Didn't the White Sox pioneer this? Isn't it our tradition? The Sox should be doing better than everyone else.
I believe fire codes would no longer allow this. It makes sense, if you think about it - if they did come out of the scoreboard, and one somehow went off early or something, there would be problems.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Also when I was little I was a big fan of the old ball park being white, it made so much sense to me "White Sox play in a white park!" Bringing that back would be cool. In short I think any rennovations should be made in an attempt to make this park look more like the old one.
That might have made sense to you when you were little, but it seems like a pretty silly reason to change the park now. I'm trying to imagine what the Cell would look like totally painted white, and it's pretty awful (especially if they maintained the paint as poorly as they've maintained the black paint over the blue on the ramps).
Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I believe fire codes would no longer allow this. It makes sense, if you think about it - if they did come out of the scoreboard, and one somehow went off early or something, there would be problems.
plus, the semi-permament fireworks rig outside allows them to sell more tickets on fireworks nights.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
WSI High Priest

The overall approach to scoreboards has to be one of the worst in the majors. There are so many angles in the park where you cannot see a basic line score (either inning 1-9, or basic R/H/E summary), or see a clock, etc. It's really bad.

It would be nice if someone would notice that the Luke Appling tribute on the exterior of the park/1st baseline (pictures of players from our All-Century team) has been tattered and torn for at least a few years now. I've been to about 18 parks across the majors...I've never seen other stadiums allow stuff like that to go unattended for so long.

I love the Cell overall...but sometimes their attention to detail and overall maintenance gets a little frustrating.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
That might have made sense to you when you were little, but it seems like a pretty silly reason to change the park now. I'm trying to imagine what the Cell would look like totally painted white, and it's pretty awful (especially if they maintained the paint as poorly as they've maintained the black paint over the blue on the ramps).
If I had my choice, I would've loved to seen Old Comiskey in its original brick color; the whitewash was a DuPont overhaul way of sealing brick and avoiding doing any masonry work to repair. God NO, don't paint the Cell exterior white - not only would it look horrible, but I agree, until they do a better job of UPKEEP on existing paint jobs (black over blue, gray over concrete), don't add to something you don't fix anyway.

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

In reading all the replies, maybe US Cellular can fork over some more $$$ for a complete outfield concourse renovation. I would love to see the lattace structure replaced with arched brick windows (similar to the backdrop on the players scoreboard photos from a few years ago - it looked like they were posing in front of a church), a new improved scoreboard and out of town scoreboard (at the expense of the existing billboards), a food-sponsored adult-oriented party deck (not necessarily a home run porch) in RF that connects into the Stadium Club and then connects directly (elevators?) with the Bullpen Sports Bar creating a RF Corner entertainment section. Maybe even brick pavers on the concourse.

I know, wishful thinking.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
In reading all the replies, maybe US Cellular can fork over some more $$$ for a complete outfield concourse renovation. I would love to see the lattace structure replaced with arched brick windows (similar to the backdrop on the players scoreboard photos from a few years ago - it looked like they were posing in front of a church), a new improved scoreboard and out of town scoreboard (at the expense of the existing billboards), a food-sponsored adult-oriented party deck (not necessarily a home run porch) in RF that connects into the Stadium Club and then connects directly (elevators?) with the Bullpen Sports Bar creating a RF Corner entertainment section. Maybe even brick pavers on the concourse.

I know, wishful thinking.
concourse is fine
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The overall approach to scoreboards has to be one of the worst in the majors. There are so many angles in the park where you cannot see a basic line score (either inning 1-9, or basic R/H/E summary), or see a clock, etc. It's really bad.

It would be nice if someone would notice that the Luke Appling tribute on the exterior of the park/1st baseline (pictures of players from our All-Century team) has been tattered and torn for at least a few years now. I've been to about 18 parks across the majors...I've never seen other stadiums allow stuff like that to go unattended for so long.

I love the Cell overall...but sometimes their attention to detail and overall maintenance gets a little frustrating.
yes!

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
I don't understand why the board on the fan deck doesn't have player stats on it anymore.
I noticed that too ... does anyone know why they got rid of it? I thought it was pretty useful.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
WSI Personality

I would like to see a Brew Pub added (maybe just to the bulpen bar). That would be sweet. They could have beers dedicated to retired players (Baines' Brew, Double Play Ale; with Fox and Aparicio on the label).
Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

The only change I would like to see, besides a different out of town scoreboard, is puting the out of town scores on the ribbon boards (I thought they would be used for something other than stupid graphics and ads).
They could scroll the scores during the game. This way people in the outfield could just look forward to the other side of the stadium and scores.

I really don't need to see "Best Buy or Pepsi, ect..." Nine times on the board. Eight would be fine. And yes, I brought it up the Sox brass. But they said it can't be done, which I don't believe.

Also, I clock somewhere that everyone in the park could see would be nice too. By clock, I mean anywhere and any type. I don't bring a cell phone into the game and occasionally would like to know what time it is. They could put it on the ribbon boards, that would be fine.

Last edited by Parrothead; 04-17-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
WSI Regular

I think all players with blue eyes should be required to wear green contact lenses.
Closed Thread