White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:10 PM
ohiosoxfan ohiosoxfan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 305
Post Up for Discussion- Lead off Swisher?

Just to throw this out for some discussion. . . why not think about Nick Swisher as a lead off hitter? Since the Sox really don't have one everyone can agree on, here is a guy who can walk 100 times a year, has scored 100 runs in a season before, is a switch hitter, and can hit a homer to put you up 1-0. Granted, he doesn't have classic lead off speed, but if he can score from second on a single and go first to third on a single, I'd welcome it. With 100 walks, he could cut down on the Thome solo shots.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
JorgeFabregas JorgeFabregas is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,099
Default

I'm down. Doubt Ozzie is, though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,961
Default

I want Swisher batting in the middle of the order 3-4-5-6.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
rdwj rdwj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,599
Default

It's not ideal, but it might work - who knows?
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic4721_4.gif
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,894
Default

I'm expecting the Sox to adopt this, rather than jump in feet first. I could see Swisher at leadoff. I could see him pulled the second it seems he's struggling.

I'd like to have a high OBP. guy there, but guys with power generally don't like wasting it with noone on base. Swisher (team player or not) could be throwing away a ton of money by giving up RBI to walk for the Sox. The Sox as well could be wasting RBI with a power guy at leadoff.

Tough decision, but if Owens isn't hitting well, or producing Cabrera or Swisher have to be there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,046
Default

If the object is to get the leadoff hitter on base, it makes a lot more sense thn Cabrera hitting there. Let Cabrera bat second. Obviously, I would rather the Sox acquire another guy to leadoff, but of the current options, Swisher is the best IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I'm expecting the Sox to adopt this, rather than jump in feet first. I could see Swisher at leadoff. I could see him pulled the second it seems he's struggling.

I'd like to have a high OBP. guy there, but guys with power generally don't like wasting it with noone on base. Swisher (team player or not) could be throwing away a ton of money by giving up RBI to walk for the Sox. The Sox as well could be wasting RBI with a power guy at leadoff.

Tough decision, but if Owens isn't hitting well, or producing Cabrera or Swisher have to be there.
There's only 1 time a game where he's guaranteed to leadoff. If your team goes down in order in the first, the clean-up guy leads off in the second. What's the difference? Have your best hitters get the most at bats.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
munchman33 munchman33 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pilsen
Posts: 7,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
There's only 1 time a game where he's guaranteed to leadoff. If your team goes down in order in the first, the clean-up guy leads off in the second. What's the difference? Have your best hitters get the most at bats.
This argument is always misleading. What people fail to realize is that the guys ahead of him tend not to get on base often. So even if he isn't leading off the inning, the bases are generally empty for the person in that slot. His job is still to get on base and get things going for people behind him.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,443
Post

Im still praying for the Owens miracle. Hes bulked up a little and maybe someone can help him how to play CF a little better. Jimmy Piersall would be a great teacher, but Im not sure if hes still with the Cubs minor league system.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 30,226
Default

We've had this discussion a few times since the trade. I'm strongly in the camp that wants Swisher to lead off. He's not a basestealer, but he's got adequate speed. He works the pitchers, and he's on base nearly four times out of 10.

Yeah, he wouldn't have as many RBIs in that spot, but we have Thome, Konerko and Dye to knock in the runs. What we need is for someone to score runs.

Too many games last year, we had two outs and nobody on for Thome in the first inning. That needs to change.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
This argument is always misleading. What people fail to realize is that the guys ahead of him tend not to get on base often. So even if he isn't leading off the inning, the bases are generally empty for the person in that slot. His job is still to get on base and get things going for people behind him.
Leading off means more at bats. If he's one of the highest OBP guys on the team, that means more runners, which means more runs. I think the need for a prototypical leadoff guy went out the window when you didn't have an automatic out batting ninth.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
munchman33 munchman33 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pilsen
Posts: 7,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Leading off means more at bats. If he's one of the highest OBP guys on the team, that means more runners, which means more runs. I think the need for a prototypical leadoff guy went out the window when you didn't have an automatic out batting ninth.
I can't remember the last time that wasn't the case for us...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
I can't remember the last time that wasn't the case for us...

Miguel Olivo.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,792
Default

It's not a bad idea, but as you mentioned he's not going to steal a whole lot of bases which is going to put a lot of pressure on Cabrera, I'd really rather see Swish bat further down and break up the relay race between JD, Paulie,Thome and AJ...we don't have a real leadoff guy except for Owens, I wouldn't mind seeing him try out for the spot and see how he does, but I think we need a legit leadoff guy.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Navarro's Talent Navarro's Talent is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,032
Default

I've been thinking Swisher would be the lead-off hitter for awhile now. I guess a lot depends on how Carlos Quentin does. If he's going to be the starting leftfielder (when he's finally healthy), then I think there's a good chance that Swisher might be leading off (and playing CF). If Owens is starting and not Quentin, then Swisher will not even be considered, I think.
__________________
"You know you want me back."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.