White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Banned

Default The flaw of the MLB draft and how Boston exploits it

Rob Bradford from the Boston Herald writes this morning about how the other 29 teams in MLB envy where Boston is right now.

One reason is the draft.......which they are exploiting

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...icleid=1048908

The way the MLB draft is currently constituted, the Red Sox can win the World Series every year and still have an upper hand on the majority of the teams below them in the selection process. The reason? Agents (or advisors) make it clear to teams throughout the draft order that their clients will only enter professional baseball on certain financial terms.

The trend has left baseball’s underprivileged, both talent-wise and financially, passing on talent. Meanwhile, the Red Sox can swoop in and take players they would normally have crossed off their board long before. It is a flaw in the system, but one the Red Sox have expertly taken advantage of.

Bradford was just on WEEI this morning talking about the article and he said one of the prime examples of a team walking away from young talent is the Chicago White Sox. JR's refusal to deal with Scott Boras has hurt the team badly and now with Detroit loading up and Cleveland in good shape the White Sox are in big trouble for the next few years.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

News Flash: The Red Sox are not the only well-heeled team out there. The Yankees, Angels, Dodgers are among others that can play this game.

It is not the Red Sox' World and we're just privileged to play in it.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Enough Already with Boston

I am not a rabid poster here, but I read & visit often.

I dunno I may get banned for this, but I'm really tired of reading all the Red Sox stuff on a White Sox board.

I don't care about what the Red Sox do.......I care about what the WHITE SOX do
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
News Flash: The Red Sox are not the only well-heeled team out there. The Yankees, Angels, Dodgers are among others that can play this game.

Hooray. The White Sox are disadvantaged relative to more than just the one team!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuck the Fubs View Post

I dunno I may get banned for this, but I'm really tired of reading all the Red Sox stuff on a White Sox board.

I agree. Although, Fenway's cool.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 AM
WSI Prelate

I for one are happy that the Sox don't play Boras' games, especially at the draft.

Still, that doesn't mean the Sox should pass over the non-Boras represented draftees because they're more expensive.

Could be worse. Look what Houston did this year. Lost out on all 3 top round draftees because McLane wouldn't go over the bonus "slots" that MLB and Uncle Bud sets...

Something tells me that the owners may try to do something about the ridiculous power agents have in the draft in the next CBA.

As for the Red Sox thing, he's just making a point, he could have use the Tigers or any number of teams that give in to Boras' arm-wringing at the draft. This isn't "RSI", yet...

Last edited by russ99; 12-05-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

The way the mlb handles the draft is a joke.

1) trading picks needs to be allowed.
2) teams should not gain draft picks for losing type a and b free agents
3) teams should not lose draft picks for signing type a and b free agents
Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
WSI High Priest

I just love how they have Boston slated as winning 5 more World Series. Let's just pay no attention to the Angels, Mets, Phillies, and Yankees and whatever other surpise team pops up year in and year out. They get an advantage with money, but they pay a lot for no guarantees.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

As for the Red Sox thing, he's just making a point, he could have use the Tigers or any number of teams that give in to Boras' arm-wringing at the draft. This isn't "RSI", yet...
Tigers stockpiled their system well and then gave away everything yesterday. They now on paper are the team to beat in the entire AL.

There has been talk that KW is talking to Boston about Coco but an unnamed Boston official says "they have nothing that we are interested in"

The writer was pointing out the flaw of the MLB draft system. What good is having a low pick if you are passing over the best player available????

Good teams should not be able to reload in the draft but they are.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I for one are happy that the Sox don't play Boras' games, especially at the draft.
This is the problem! You should care. As fans, we ALL should care. Why are we passing better players up becuase of who he is represented by? Unless Boras has been found guilty of breaking some of MLB's rules, then we HAVE to deal with him. If we don't we will be held in a position of weakness for the foreseeable future...until Boras is finished with the game, or until the next Boras srouts his ugly head.

Get the best players available during your selection slot of the draft. Period. Don't pass people up becuase they are "unsignable". If the owners don't like the rules, then they need to change it during the next CBA. Otherwise, shut the **** up and play ball.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
This is the problem! You should care. As fans, we ALL should care. Why are we passing better players up becuase of who he is represented by? Unless Boras has been found guilty of breaking some of MLB's rules, then we HAVE to deal with him. If we don't we will be held in a position of weakness for the foreseeable future...until Boras is finished with the game, or until the next Boras srouts his ugly head.

Get the best players available during your selection slot of the draft. Period. Don't pass people up becuase they are "unsignable". If the owners don't like the rules, then they need to change it during the next CBA. Otherwise, shut the **** up and play ball.
This is what happened with Borchard. They broke the bank and he fizzled. Still the Sox could have dealt Borchard for a king's ransom when he was a top prospect. I guess there's a fine line between a prospect and suspect.

I doubt the Sox will just play ball with Boras and give a draft pick whatever amount Boras wants, and then have to deal with Boras in 6-7 years when that player is a FA.

I don't thing the Sox should stay in the slot, that's being cheap. But I don't want them to deal with Boras' garbage either.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuck the Fubs View Post

Thats why this board is for the other 29 teams.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

And the Tigers have been doing it better than anyone these last few years.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
The way the mlb handles the draft is a joke.

1) trading picks needs to be allowed.
2) teams should not gain draft picks for losing type a and b free agents
3) teams should not lose draft picks for signing type a and b free agents
Those are rules that help lesser market teams.