White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 11:58 AM
WSI Regular

End of Boras?

I've been wondering for the last couple days...

With the Yankees ownership meeting with ARod behind Scott Boras' back and getting a deal done after Mr Boras got the official cold shoulder at the GM meetings, does this signal a paradigm shift in baseball that the uber-agent can no longer hold teams by the pen until the ink is dry on the contract? Could the Yankees and ARod have actually done something GOOD for baseball?

I'm not sure if there was collusion involved or if Boras will whine about it when ARod drops him as his agent, but it certainly seems to me that this is a big step towards teams and players working to get deals done despite what the spin machine that Boras has been tells the players they're "worth."

Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Boras using what turned out to be the final game of the World Series to say that A-Rod was opting out angered most in baseball. Every dog has its day...

I get the feeling A-Rod didn't know he opted out until he heard it on FOX
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Everybody's All-American

Boras won't be going anywhere soon. Yes, the entire ordeal was a gigantic embarrassment for him. The problem with this "embarassment" is his client still got $275 million over 10 years, which is the richest contract in sports history. He still gets to pocket $27.5 million of this. Say what you will about him, the guy still gets top dollar for his clients, whether they deserve it or not. Players will still want him as their agent. The only plus side to this is, hopefully, when Boras approaches a team saying he has a better contract offer from another team, the former team makes him show this supposedly better "offer". The mistake Boras made was trying to run over the Yankees, the only team with the capital to pay A-Rod anything close to what he was asking. The Yankees simply called him on it.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Boras got his client the second largest deal in the history of baseball. He made the Yankees come back to the table after saying they were done with him.

He is still the single most powerful man in baseball.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

It is an interesting thought.

If teams decide to give the cold shoulder to Boras and his players, where would they go? It was odd to have the Yankees be the ones to do it, but sometimes I think Boras is more evil than the Yankees.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

It is not the end of Borass. Even if it was, it would not change anything. Until the human emotion known as greed is removed from our psyches, there will always be an agent willing to do what he does because there are always young men who play baseball who are willing to pursue the top dollar at all cost. Borass is not the only one who does it, he is just the most famous.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tab View Post
I've been wondering for the last couple days...

With the Yankees ownership meeting with ARod behind Scott Boras' back and getting a deal done after Mr Boras got the official cold shoulder at the GM meetings, does this signal a paradigm shift in baseball that the uber-agent can no longer hold teams by the pen until the ink is dry on the contract? Could the Yankees and ARod have actually done something GOOD for baseball?

I'm not sure if there was collusion involved or if Boras will whine about it when ARod drops him as his agent, but it certainly seems to me that this is a big step towards teams and players working to get deals done despite what the spin machine that Boras has been tells the players they're "worth."

Any thoughts?
I don't think anything will come of this. I believe Boras will be drawing up the contract. If A-Rod was really pissed off at Boras and did this whole negotiation himself, then why wouldn't he have fired him and rob Boras of his monster commission? Boras wouldn't deserve it.

Even the fact that A-Rod opted out during game 4 will blow over. Boras took the wrap for it, apologized for it, it's over. The bridge is already built, walk over it.

With the market as it is, a good negotiator will always win, no matter what his or her name is. We'll see as this offseason continues and the contracts that are signed.

I am not optimistic this Boras/A-Rod/Yankee crap changes a damn thing.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13 View Post
If teams decide to give the cold shoulder to Boras and his players, where would they go? It was odd to have the Yankees be the ones to do it, but sometimes I think Boras is more evil than the Yankees.
I agree that Boras still has power, but the pure fact that a team (albeit the Yankees) had the intestinal fortitude to call him on his hype machine, and they won, in my mind calls into question future validity of his hype machine. There's a crack in the formerly bulletproof glass that surrounds Boras and his clients, and everyone else's fresh air is going to seep into the box and wake his clients up. Yes, he gets top dollar and yes, ARod just got the biggest contract in baseball history. But Boras didn't negotiate it and, compared to what he said he could get, he left money on the table.

I'm thrilled that Boras is sinking like the Titanic. Maybe we can throw Drew Rosenhaus on there w/ him.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tab View Post
I agree that Boras still has power, but the pure fact that a team (albeit the Yankees) had the intestinal fortitude to call him on his hype machine, and they won, in my mind calls into question future validity of his hype machine. There's a crack in the formerly bulletproof glass that surrounds Boras and his clients, and everyone else's fresh air is going to seep into the box and wake his clients up. Yes, he gets top dollar and yes, ARod just got the biggest contract in baseball history. But Boras didn't negotiate it and, compared to what he said he could get, he left money on the table.

I'm thrilled that Boras is sinking like the Titanic. Maybe we can throw Drew Rosenhaus on there w/ him.
I'm lost. How is he tanking? How was he called out? And if he was because Yankees ownership said they were done with A-Rod after opting out, he still stands to gain from the 180 pulled (whether you want to believe A-Rod did it on his own or not).

jabrch is dead on, IMO.

The Yankees lost their subsidy, supposedly A-Rod is making up the difference (most likely by signing at $275 instead of $295), but he got 10 years for his client at $27.5M; effectively setting him for the rest of his career.

Boras wins.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

It's up to the GMs and athletes if he goes away. So far the Sox don't like to deal with him and the Yankees have just shut him out. It should only take a few more GMs to jump on board before his downfall.
Think about being a player looking for a new agent. You can either have your option of going to all 30 teams, or having an agent where your options are limited. If teams actually shut out Boras clients like Sox do, then people aren't going to want to sign with him anymore.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
It's up to the GMs and athletes if he goes away. So far the Sox don't like to deal with him and the Yankees have just shut him out. It should only take a few more GMs to jump on board before his downfall.
Think about being a player looking for a new agent. You can either have your option of going to all 30 teams, or having an agent where your options are limited. If teams actually shut out Boras clients like Sox do, then people aren't going to want to sign with him anymore.
Exactly! Especially if the Yankees and Red Sox would shut him out.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Coachroaches survive so will Bor-ASS!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
He still gets to pocket $27.5 million of this.
Just to clarify, according to this, his commission is 5%.

Quote:
He takes a five-per-cent commission on the salaries of his major-league clients, which this year total two hundred and ninety-five million dollars, and on the signing bonuses of his prospects (but not on their paltry minor-league wages).
Still not shabby.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Every time you stop Boras, you simply create more Borases.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
WSI Personality

According to today's NY Times A-Rod has circumvented Boras before. During his initial contract negotiations with the Mariners, Boras and the M's were far apart on the dollars as the signing deadline loomed. A-Rod, accompanied by a family associate, negotiated directly with M's management, and hours before the deadline, they reached an agreement that was a lot closer to the M's numbers than to Boras'.

Boras filed a grievance over the matter but it was never heard.

W