White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

i don't, either. i was just giving my 2 cents to help that guy out too. but a comment like "why reply if you don't know what you're talking about" gets on my nerves, ESPECIALLY when i'm just trying to help someone out, and when my initial information was correct.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm just going to say that I do remember Kenny and others in the organization speaking highly of Rasner. I don't think he was 'just a throw in.' The Sox traded an outfielder, as well, to get him.

BTW, those links you provided did nothing to prove that you knew what you were talking about. Come talk to me when you actually know something about the guy. Have you seen him pitch? Have you seen a scouting report? You're drawing a conclusion from some stats as a 20-year-old, and a couple of articles that hardly even mention the guy. Sounds like great reference...

Last edited by oeo; 11-15-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

I think I'm going with Daver on this one.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxmike View Post
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Don't do that, the guy that has no idea what the shift key is, as well as the guy that knows everything there is to know in the universe, both think I am off my rocker.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Daver's right, pure stuff-wise, Rasner is the best of the bunch. He's just a long way away and needs a lot of work. Project is a good word for it, like someone said earlier. But Daver's right that Rasner's ceiling is significantly higher than the other two.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
I'm just going to say that I do remember Kenny and others in the organization speaking highly of Rasner. I don't think he was 'just a throw in.' The Sox traded an outfielder, as well, to get him.

BTW, those links you provided did nothing to prove that you knew what you were talking about. Come talk to me when you actually know something about the guy. Have you seen him pitch? Have you seen a scouting report? You're drawing a conclusion from some stats as a 20-year-old, and a couple of articles that hardly even mention the guy. Sounds like great reference...
of course the guy has talent, and of course KW's going to speak highly of him. whats kenny gonna say: "this guy doesn't have much stuff and we just wanted a pitcher for our A ball team." of course not. daver said he was a top 10 prospect for the rangers. the links proved that he wasn't. sockinchisox even included a quote from a writer that said he'll probably never make the majors. no sorry i didnt see him pitch in high school, but based on his time in TEX, what people wrote about him and how he wasn't near the top of their prospect list, that gives me a pretty good idea that he was a throw in. if danks projects to be a middle of the rotation starting pitcher, and rasner has a higher ceiling, you're saying this guy has the chance to be a top of the rotation starter or a lights out closer?
thats not realistic, and that's not what KW is expecting from him. he's probably just seeing if he can catch lightning in a bottle from him, like lujan, dubee, link, etc.
jeeeeeeeeeeezus
Old 11-15-2007, 11:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Daver's right, pure stuff-wise, Rasner is the best of the bunch. He's just a long way away and needs a lot of work. Project is a good word for it, like someone said earlier. But Daver's right that Rasner's ceiling is significantly higher than the other two.
Right now, "stuff-wise", he is nowhere close to best of the 3, but he is projectable. He is only 20, so he still has some time. He throws 90-92 sometimes a little higher, supposedly has decent downward movement on the fastball, but really has no offspeed pitches. He is built like McCarthy. If he fills out, adds a couple miles per hour on the fastball, develops something offspeed, he could be good. But a lot of things have to happen for him to get there. Most guys with the results he's had would have been looking for real jobs by now, so obviously there is a glimmer of hope for development.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeckusc View Post
of course the guy has talent, and of course KW's going to speak highly of him. whats kenny gonna say: "this guy doesn't have much stuff and we just wanted a pitcher for our A ball team." of course not.
You're making no sense. You first came in here laughing it up (you love the lawls), like he was some piece of ****. Now you're admitting that he does have talent. You're the one who came in acting like they knew what they were talking about, not Daver. Daver said he had a high ceiling...you just laughed him off like he was a bag of balls.

Quote:
daver said he was a top 10 prospect for the rangers. the links proved that he wasn't.
You also said the links proved you knew what you were talking about, which is false. Daver was wrong about him being a Top Ten prospect, but you still don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
sockinchisox even included a quote from a writer that said he'll probably never make the majors.
Oh wow, I can find random quotes from random writers by searching Google too. Here's one:
Quote:
Jacob Rasner is listed as 6-5, 190. I'm a fan of selecting pitchers with the potential of filling out a big frame. He's kinda stunk so far, but he was a solid high schooler picked in the seventh round in 2005. In his case right now, don't pay too much attention to the numbers. Scouts like his arm, he throws in the low 90s. Anyway, that doesn't matter for Texas any more. Of the three, and I know his numbers don't show it now, this is the guy I wish the Rangers could have kept. But this is what happens when you trade players.
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2006...ox-brandon-mc/

At least this guy seems to know a thing or two about Texas' system, unlike the USA Today quote that Sockinchisox happened to fall upon (which is obviously just using stats to base its opinion, as well).

Quote:
no sorry i didnt see him pitch in high school, but based on his time in TEX, what people wrote about him and how he wasn't near the top of their prospect list, that gives me a pretty good idea that he was a throw in.
So you're basing your opinion off of statistics early in his career, and 'what people wrote about him' (which is basically nothing).

Quote:
if danks projects to be a middle of the rotation starting pitcher, and rasner has a higher ceiling, you're saying this guy has the chance to be a top of the rotation starter or a lights out closer?
I'm not saying anything. I don't know a thing about the guy. I do know that the Sox were high on him, I do know that he supposedly has a high ceiling. That's it. I'm not going to act like I know what kind of future he has like yourself.

Quote:
thats not realistic, and that's not what KW is expecting from him. he's probably just seeing if he can catch lightning in a bottle from him, like lujan, dubee, link, etc.
jeeeeeeeeeeezus
Isn't that what you do when you acquire a guy low in the minors?

Last edited by oeo; 11-16-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Banned

aaron cunningham was low in the minors when he was acquired. i dont think ARI is just looking to catch lightning in a bottle with him, HE has a high ceiling. and until rasner shows anything, yea, he is a worth the same as a bag of balls. i didn't know that a righty throwing in the low 90's was anything to brag about these days. if he's struggled for 2 years now against A-LEVEL HITTERS, when's he gonna turn it around and be ready for the majors, when he's 30?

alright, alright, i get the point. i made fun of your boyfriend daver and that upset you, i apologize. i just hope he's not too mad at you for you admitting that he was wrong.........lord knows he wouldn't admit it.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
...alright, alright, i get the point. i made fun of your boyfriend daver and that upset you, i apologize. i just hope he's not too mad at you for you admitting that he was wrong.........lord knows he wouldn't admit it.
Huh? I don't think anyone here minds a debate and/or a substantive argument, but why sink to this level?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Its all interpretation anyways. I remember the Garcia trade for the Sox they got Reed, Olivo, and Matt Morse.

Morse was referred to as "the throw in" by most people, and by others he was referred to as the steal of the deal. He didn't really end up being either. There was thought that he'd end up being a good SS I believe, but Daver even then said he was going to end up at best being a below avg. 1Bman.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

alright, alright, i get the point. i made fun of your boyfriend daver and that upset you, i apologize. i just hope he's not too mad at you for you admitting that he was wrong.........lord knows he wouldn't admit it.
:

*adjusts cap*
Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Ditto.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Rasner was definitely not a "throw in"; however, Danks and Masset were the more important pieces of the McCarthy trade in terms of current value. This thread is too nit-picky...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...