White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2007, 11:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Post Ryan Sweeney?

With Jermaine in right for a couple more years and say we pick up a Center Fielder, and Possibly Jerry Owens in left, where does this leave Sweeney. He was suppose to be our top outfielder in the minors and it seems that Owens surpassed him. Do you believe Kenny is going to use him for trade bait this offseason or what? your thoughts.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogosox16 View Post
With Jermaine in right for a couple more years and say we pick up a Center Fielder, and Possibly Jerry Owens in left, where does this leave Sweeney. He was suppose to be our top outfielder in the minors and it seems that Owens surpassed him. Do you believe Kenny is going to use him for trade bait this offseason or what? your thoughts.
He's only 22 and has like 80 ABs in the bigs. There's no reason to make any decisions on what to do with him right now, plus - he has no trade value anyway. There is already plenty of proven OF talent out there.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 PM
WSI Personality

IMHO Owens is a long-term answer, particularly in LF. Sweeney had a rough season and now a bad AFL. It's possible he will fall out of the Sox's plans, but not because of Owens.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
IMHO Owens is a long-term answer, particularly in LF. Sweeney had a rough season and now a bad AFL. It's possible he will fall out of the Sox's plans, but not because of Owens.
well if you think he might fall out of the sox plans do you think they will use him in a trade this offseason for something?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
IMHO Owens is a long-term answer,
If Jerry Owens is the answer, the question must be why does the White Sox outfield suck.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
If Jerry Owens is the answer, the question must be why does the White Sox outfield suck.
I don't think Owens is that bad. I think the guy has a low ceiling though, and what we saw last year won't significantly improve. It's one of those tough decisions a GM has to make. Regarding Sweeney, I wonder if the uncertainty has gotten to him? If that's the case, I'm skeptical of his mental ability to handle adversity. I think he'll have every chance to win the 4th outfield spot. After that, it's up to him.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfa View Post
I don't think Owens is that bad.
Jerry Owens makes Chris Singleton's bat look fast, and that's hard to do.

A lot of guys can run fast if they get on base, but that's useless if you look like a 12-year old anytime you face someone who can throw the ball over 90.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 11-04-2007, 01:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Jerry Owens makes Chris Singleton's bat look fast, and that's hard to do.

A lot of guys can run fast if they get on base, but that's useless if you look like a 12-year old anytime you face someone who can throw the ball over 90.
Slow bat or not, he managed to hit .260 as a rookie. Thirty-two times, he stole a base, so at the worst, each time he put himself into scoring position. A lot of fast guys could get on base, but couldn't swipe the next one. Those are decent numbers for a rookie. I just don't expect Owens to be a .300 hitter. He also strikes out a lot too.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfa View Post
Slow bat or not, he managed to hit .260 as a rookie. Thirty-two times, he stole a base, so at the worst, each time he put himself into scoring position. A lot of fast guys could get on base, but couldn't swipe the next one. Those are decent numbers for a rookie. I just don't expect Owens to be a .300 hitter. He also strikes out a lot too.
Add to the fact that he can't play outfield, and you have a pretty useless ballplayer.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Add to the fact that he can't play outfield, and you have a pretty useless ballplayer.
But Kyle Boller doesn't think so...
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Ooops. Mistyped. I meant not a long-term answer. You'd think the extra hour of sleep would have helped. My apologies.