White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox73 View Post
Forgive me if this has been stated before. No other announcer in this city
would have gotten away with the comments Santo did. And, rightly so.
Rightly so that he can get away with such comments? Are you condoning the double standard you say exists?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
MarySwiss's Avatar
MarySwiss MarySwiss is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 15,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mega View Post
So what? Who cares? So a sports announcer said something stupid, I mean I know its the first time a media member in the world of sports said something dumb, but why get all riled up because of it?
Dan: because remarks by stupid on-air personalities are usually called on them. Why should he be any different? See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
...However, what happened to Don Imus when he made similar slip-up during his radio commentary? He was promptly fired from his position for making an off-hand comment (a comment which he was completely within his rights to have in his head) that offended a group of people. Then, should Santo not be fired for doing the EXACT SAME THING? I believe he should have been fired almost immediately, and there is no reason why WGN shouldn't terminate him now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxRich View Post
I was talking with Moose Skowron during this last KC series, and he said "Ronnie should just shut up & quit whining about the HOF. If he gets in he gets in , but he needs to stop playing the sympathy card".
I always liked Bill Skowron, and I see no reason to stop now!---
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4887&d=1158938766
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
johnr1note johnr1note is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
I can see where you are coming from, Dan, but the case with Santo is different from a sports announcer saying something stupid. The thing with Dear Old Ronnie is that his entire mantra on the air is all-out stupid. He says dumb things just like the rest of the announcers, to be sure, but Santo goes way beyond the line of sheer stupidity when he continues to pour on stupid comments made from an unfathomable mind-set. His use of his illness as a bargaining chip at the HOF poker table, his flat-out rancid comments about the Mets (another MLB organization, mind you) and his profound dislike of the Mother's Day pink are all things that, when viewed separately, would be nothing more than an aging announcer making a moronic statement. However, all of the above statements have come from Santo's mouth repeatedly, showing that they are not merely mistakes on the air, but are representative of Santo's inability to control his out-of-whack thought process.

That being said, let's assume that the only dumb thing Ron Santo communicated was his hate of the players using pink on Mother's Day to support breast cancer (He even asked Pat Hughes what they were doing it for, and when he received the answer, continued on in his rant). Clearly, this would be just a slip-up in Santo's commentary on the game. However, what happened to Don Imus when he made similar slip-up during his radio commentary? He was promptly fired from his position for making an off-hand comment (a comment which he was completely within his rights to have in his head) that offended a group of people. Then, should Santo not be fired for doing the EXACT SAME THING? I believe he should have been fired almost immediately, and there is no reason why WGN shouldn't terminate him now.
All these points are valid -- but one thing about Ron is, he isn't just a baseball announcer who says stupid things every now and then, he's a bad baseball announcer. He brings nothing to the table with regard to insightful commentary other than "absolutley, Pat."
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Dick Allen Dick Allen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 3,127
Default

I'll still never forget the time Santo actually left the booth for an inning or so because he was so upset with an umpire's call.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM
WSox73 WSox73 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1note View Post
All these points are valid -- but one thing about Ron is, he isn't just a baseball announcer who says stupid things every now and then, he's a bad baseball announcer. He brings nothing to the table with regard to insightful commentary other than "absolutley, Pat."

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
soxinem1 soxinem1 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Born and raised on the SW Side.....
Posts: 5,091
Default

During the 2003 NLDS Santo was ripping Robert Fick, who was playing for ATL at the time. Then he just all of a sudden he cuts off Pat Hughes and says 'God is he UGLY!' about four times in a row. Then he sat and *****ed about the HOF thing.

True, I dispise Fick as much as anyone, but why did Santo take it to such a low level. Who the hell is he, Tom Cruise? He's pretty ugly himself.

He should be more embarassed with that **** rug he wears. That thiing looks like it's about to hiss at you and take a bite out of your arm!

Is a HOF'er supposed to be such a cry-baby? You' think being an ex-player he could ad some better insight to the broadcast, but having him there is just a waste of air space.

He is also a professional drunk, so feeling sorry for his diabetes does not really matter to me. He had it since he was a kid, and he is a lush to this day.

As a player, he was not really known as a good teammate, especially with rookies.

Santo has evolved into a total joke. I hope he never gets in.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
AZChiSoxFan AZChiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,269
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post
During the 2003 NLDS Santo was ripping Robert Fick, who was playing for ATL at the time. Then he just all of a sudden he cuts off Pat Hughes and says 'God is he UGLY!' about four times in a row. Then he sat and *****ed about the HOF thing.

True, I dispise Fick as much as anyone, but why did Santo take it to such a low level. Who the hell is he, Tom Cruise? He's pretty ugly himself.

He should be more embarassed with that **** rug he wears. That thiing looks like it's about to hiss at you and take a bite out of your arm!

Is a HOF'er supposed to be such a cry-baby? You' think being an ex-player he could ad some better insight to the broadcast, but having him there is just a waste of air space.

He is also a professional drunk, so feeling sorry for his diabetes does not really matter to me. He had it since he was a kid, and he is a lush to this day.

As a player, he was not really known as a good teammate, especially with rookies.

Santo has evolved into a total joke. I hope he never gets in.


Dude, that's hilarious. You've got me rollin'!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.