White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 05:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why did Santo click his heels? To show the pitcher up or to celebrate a rare flub victory?

Considering the heel clicking and looking at him in his condition, well if you believe in Karma, here's your textbook example.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1note View Post
Its one thing to be a cheerleader for your team. I think most of us have heard Santo's blatherings over the success or lack thereof of the Cubs. It goes beyond being a "homer" type announcer. Hawk Harrelson is a "homer." But at least Hawk is an announcer -- he's a professional. What Santo does is completely unprofessional.

But he took it to a new level in the 9th inning last night. When Valverde came in as the closer for the D-backs, Ron began a verbal onslaught. For all practical purposes, Ron Santo was telling the audience that he hated Valverde. He agreed that he was good, but that he was a "hot dog," and a "weasel," and basically accused him of cheating with the way he delivers a baseball to the plate. He harped on this for the first two batters, and declared that nothing would make him happier than to put a hot dog like Valverde in his place, and to beat him.

I was unaware of there being any "bad blood" between the D-backs and Cubs, and particularly with Valverde. I just thought Santo was over the line on this. Every now and then, you'll hear an announcer get into it about a player who is a rival, but its either low key and with a modicum of respect (Ed Farmer does this), or its in light of an incident, like the Barrett/AJ fight, or when Tori Hunter bulldozed our catcher a few years back.

I just thought Santo went way too far, and was extremely unprofessional. Did anyone else listen in?
While I'm no fan of Valverde's histrionics, before Santo opens his mouth he should take a real close look at his supposed "ace" pitcher who's antics are as bad or IMO even worse than Valverde's.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Oh, I forgot the stock Cubune excuse: "Carlos is emotional" but Valverde is a "hot dog" and a "weasel." What a load of crap.

Also, I wonder what Ronnie said when Ted Lilly acted like a total fool after giving up the homer the other day? Great example for the kids, Ted...
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
While I'm no fan of Valverde's histrionics, before Santo opens his mouth he should take a real close look at his supposed "ace" pitcher who's antics are as bad or IMO even worse than Valverde's.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Oh, I forgot the stock Cubune excuse: "Carlos is emotional" but Valverde is a "hot dog" and a "weasel." What a load of crap.

Also, I wonder what Ronnie said when Ted Lilly acted like a total fool after giving up the homer the other day? Great example for the kids, Ted...
"I get So Emotional baby..."
Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wish Valverde would have clicked his heels after the third out tonight!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I forgot the stock Cubune excuse: "Carlos is emotional" but Valverde is a "hot dog" and a "weasel."
It's like my sig on the college hockey board: "My guy is a hard-nosed player who's not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Lefty34

I cannot count how many times Ron Santo has been two-faced when providing color commentary to the Cubs game. I will be honest, I listen to a Cubs broadcast now and then because my grandfather is a die-hard Cubs fan (a fan who cares about the game of BASEBALL rather than the game of attendance or beer sales). And I must say, it is absolutely STUNNING as to how much Santo gets away with on the air. I understand that he is the face of Cub Nation (albeit and ugly face) but there comes a point when the Trib Co. just has to say, "Get out of here Ron, you're ruining the broadcast of an actual baseball game." Then, I guess, part of the blame falls on the suits sitting on the Trib Co. Board of Directors who refuse to admit they are promoting a BASEBALL TEAM rather than a product, which I find sickening. Keep in mind: I am not a Cubs fan, nor do I wish them (or their broadcasters on any level) any harm, whether it be emotional or physical, just because I am a Sox fan. However, there comes a point when the sanctity of the game is tantamount to the selling of a product, and I think that Ron Santo is the epiphany of crossing that line. Therefore, I refuse to give Santo, and his antics, any respect whatsoever and would even go so far as to say that I condone and promote the degradation of Ron Santo and everything Cub(s), whatever that may be. So go at it at whatever level you feel necessary, and please do not feel remorse, because the attendance records and TV ratings suggest that the Cubs (and Ron Santo) don't feel any either.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I wish Valverde would have clicked his heels after the third out tonight!
THAT would have been hilarious. Santo would have snapped in the radio booth. His head would have turned like in the Exorcist.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
THAT would have been hilarious. Santo would have snapped in the radio booth. His head would have turned like in the Exorcist.
Watch out for the green pea soup!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Why did Santo click his heels? To show the pitcher up or to celebrate a rare flub victory?
Because he was a classless hotdog. He used to do if after every Cubs victory in 1969 -(That magical season, when the Cubs finished in....2nd place, no postseason appearance). We tend to forget that in this day and age of guys standing in the batters box watching their homerun, of shimmy-shaking and dancing after a touchdown, or posing and flexing in front of the camera after a slam dunk, stuff like that wasn't really done back then, and pretty much anyone who played against Santo, as well as some of his own teamates, couldn't stand the guy and these antics. I believe it was Mets manager Gil Hodges who one day called Santo a hotdog, among other things, for doing this. Santo, like the bush leaguer he was /is, let it get to him too.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Listening to Ron Santo is like sitting next to a drunken Cubs fan who acts like every hit by the Cubs or every out recorded by the Cubs in the regular season has just clinched the World Series. Also, every play that is not favorable to the Cubs seems to have just cost them the championship. He is a joke. I find it quite amusing that he is so beloved by Cubbie nation, but is the laughingstock of the rest of the world. Take a listen to his "great" abilities:

http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips/santoohno.mp3
Old 10-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
I find it quite amusing that he is so beloved by Cubbie nation, but is the laughingstock of the rest of the world.
Friends of mine who are Cubs fans find Santo embarrassing.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
WSI Regular

Forgive me if this has been stated before. No other announcer in this city
would have gotten away with the comments Santo did. And, rightly so.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
Listening to Ron Santo is like sitting next to a drunken Cubs fan who acts like every hit by the Cubs or every out recorded by the Cubs in the regular season has just clinched the World Series. Also, every play that is not favorable to the Cubs seems to have just cost them the championship. He is a joke. I find it quite amusing that he is so beloved by Cubbie nation, but is the laughingstock of the rest of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Friends of mine who are Cubs fans find Santo embarrassing.
Well, that's the thing. IMO, he wouldn't even be considered for HOF admission if he didn't play up his illness. And I find it particularly offensive since I lost a dearly loved uncle to diabetes last year. I could feel sorry for Santo if he didn't seize every opportunity to play the "poor sad unfortunate me" card. And his incredibly insensitive comments about the players who were wearing pink to raise money for the fight against breast cancer should have--IMO--gotten him fired.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

So what? Who cares? So a sports announcer said something stupid, I mean I know its the first time a media member in the world of sports said something dumb, but why get all riled up because of it?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySwiss View Post
Well, that's the thing. IMO, he wouldn't even be considered for HOF admission if he didn't play up his illness. And I find it particularly offensive since I lost a dearly loved uncle to diabetes last year. I could feel sorry for Santo if he didn't seize every opportunity to play the "poor sad unfortunate me" card. And his incredibly insensitive comments about the players who were wearing pink to raise money for the fight against breast cancer should have--IMO--gotten him fired.
I was talking with Moose Skowron during this last KC series, and he said "Ronnie should just shut up & quit whining about the HOF. If he gets in he gets in , but he needs to stop playing the sympathy card".