White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Lefty34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You are absolutely right, Commander. However I must make note of how you said that just because Santo uses his disability in an attempt to gain HOF votes I do not have the right to include his disability in my critiques of him.

The philosopher Thomas Hobbes wrote that "a man be willing, when others are too, as far-forth as for Peace and defense of himself he shall think it necessary to lay down this right to all things; and be contented with so much liberty against other men as he would allow other men against himself." Clearly, looking at this, I should not use Santo's disability against him. However, Hobbes then goes on to say "But if other men will not lay down their Right, as well as he; then there is no Reason for any one to devest himself of his...". Looking at this, however, one can extrapolate that when Santo uses his disability as a tool to gain something that is not his, I am not obliged to abstain from including his disability in my rants about him. If I did continue to lay down my right to everything obtainable by man, it would lead to, as Hobbes said, "a state of war".
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 PM
TheCommander TheCommander is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Valparaiso,IN
Posts: 746
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
You are absolutely right, Commander. However I must make note of how you said that just because Santo uses his disability in an attempt to gain HOF votes I do not have the right to include his disability in my critiques of him.

The philosopher Thomas Hobbes wrote that "a man be willing, when others are too, as far-forth as for Peace and defense of himself he shall think it necessary to lay down this right to all things; and be contented with so much liberty against other men as he would allow other men against himself." Clearly, looking at this, I should not use Santo's disability against him. However, Hobbes then goes on to say "But if other men will not lay down their Right, as well as he; then there is no Reason for any one to devest himself of his...". Looking at this, however, one can extrapolate that when Santo uses his disability as a tool to gain something that is not his, I am not obliged to abstain from including his disability in my rants about him. If I did continue to lay down my right to everything obtainable by man, it would lead to, as Hobbes said, "a state of war".
My objection wasn't with you including his disability in your rants;it was with you making fun of it. Clearly you have freedom of speech and the ability to analyze. But you also have the choice to use discretion and good judgement when presenting your analysis. By attacking Santo's deformity(and not just his misuse of it),you are no longer making a statement about his character but rather bringing into question your own.
__________________

created by Rdy2PlayBall
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Frontman Frontman is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 6,667
Default

Well, as someone who has people in his family with diabetes, I certainly wouldn't make fun of Santo for it; but he does use it to play the sympathy card come vote time.

Shame really, as he could be using his position as a sports announcer to bring awareness to the disease, versus using it to drum up support for the HoF vote.

Say what you will about Farmer, but at least I know a bit about polysistic kidney disease and what can be done to help because of him talking about it; as well as other worthwhile charities.

Santo on the other hand, is so self absorbed that he went on a rant on Mother's Day about the players wearing pink wristbands and using pink bats.
__________________
The Frontman Family, including a growing Future Manager of the Chicago White Sox, circa 2045.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 AM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,594
Default

And the Slanto starts right out after him again tonight.
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 AM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,594
Slanto was not heard from during the strike-out to end the game by Aramais Ramirez. No blathering. No references to "hot-dogs" from the lout, just silence.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-05-2007, 02:11 AM
It's Time It's Time is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,493
Default

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 5,320
Default

My big gripe with Santo is that, despite being the head of a foundation that tries to combat diabetes, he still puts himself in the position where he's seen drinking in public. With all the information that we have about the possible negative consequences that alcohol consumption can have on diabetics, this strikes me as very disingenuous. Considering how often this guy tries to hype himself up as a synpathetic martyr, it's even worse. It would be like a head of a lung cancer foundation smoking cigarettes in public.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
johnr1note johnr1note is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 500
Default

The folks at the MLB channel on XM seem to be catching on to Santo. Its hard to tell if they are promoting Santo or mocking him, but they replayed several clips from the WGN radio broadcast on the XM "Homeplate" broadcast this morning. In particular, they played Ron's tirade during Lilly's failed bunt attempt, making snide comments about Ron's emotional explosions.

Santo is not just a laughingstock locally, but across the country.

As an aside, to add to the discussion of how Santo was viewed by his own fan base in the early 70s, and how he was disparagingly referred to as "Mr. Clutch," my father (a White Sox fan but a very objective one) used to refer to Santo in that era as the "King of the warning track flyballs."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
PatK PatK is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago/Highland, IN
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
My big gripe with Santo is that, despite being the head of a foundation that tries to combat diabetes, he still puts himself in the position where he's seen drinking in public. With all the information that we have about the possible negative consequences that alcohol consumption can have on diabetics, this strikes me as very disingenuous. Considering how often this guy tries to hype himself up as a synpathetic martyr, it's even worse. It would be like a head of a lung cancer foundation smoking cigarettes in public.
That's one thing that irks me as well.

Didn't he also have a rep as a hard-partier during his playing days?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM
SOXPHILE SOXPHILE is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 3,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
That's one thing that irks me as well.

Didn't he also have a rep as a hard-partier during his playing days?
Yes he did. He continued these ways in the 30+ years since, which is more than likely why he's had to have these amputations in the first place. He was also known for:


-The whole Don Young incident

-While as a 20 something player, getting into a fight with his 70 year old manager Leo Durocher. (I actually heard him say during a broadcast that Durocher didn't back down, and put up a good fight. Your a class act Ron)


-Being an extremely obnoxious, divisive presence while with the Sox in 1974, at one point, or so I heard, Dick Allen punched him in the face


-(As mentioned by others here)- Mr Clutch. Alot of "garbage time", meaningless homeruns when the Cubs were either winning or losing a game by 10 runs. 1 run game with 2 outs and a guy in scoring position ? Hey, how about a popup or strike out. This feat was replicated many times, some 30 years later by a certain wife beating, steroid taking, right fielder.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
-(As mentioned by others here)- Mr Clutch. Alot of "garbage time", meaningless homeruns when the Cubs were either winning or losing a game by 10 runs. 1 run game with 2 outs and a guy in scoring position ? Hey, how about a popup or strike out. This feat was replicated many times, some 30 years later by a certain wife beating, steroid taking, right fielder.
Hold on there. Juan Uribe plays Shortstop, does not do steroids and, as far we know, has not hit his wife.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
hsnterprize hsnterprize is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Svengoolie's hometown...BERWYN???
Posts: 1,690
Post

You know something...I REFUSE to listen to WGN's coverage of this series. The funny part is that one time I heard a play on ESPN, and then I turned to WGN just to hear Santo's reaction. I said, "Oh, man." thinking Santo would say it. A few seconds later...he did. You knew he was going to be upset after the D-Backs did something good.

I'd rather listen to ESPN's coverage of this series. If Pat Hughes was working with ESPN, I'd listen more to him. I like Hughes...it's Santo I have a problem with. Nice guy...not to nice announcer.
__________________
If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this vet says, "You're welcome".
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,379
Default

Soxphile:

I never heard of Dick punching him in the face but if you read Carlos May's interview with WSI he does tell of one time the two went at it.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Soxphile:

I never heard of Dick punching him in the face but if you read Carlos May's interview with WSI he does tell of one time the two went at it.

Lip
That would say a lot for Ron Santo's character. Everyone gets along well with Carlos May.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,379
Default

TDog:

You misunderstood, the incident was between Allen and Santo.

Lip
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.