White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
And Broadway...
I'll make my dark cloud post and say that I came away from Lance's only start still unconvinced that he has the ability to become a productive major league starter. He'll need to harness that two seamer and regain the pinpoint control I saw from him a couple of years ago to make me a believer...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I'll make my dark cloud post and say that I came away from Lance's only start still unconvinced that he has the ability to become a productive major league starter. He'll need to harness that two seamer and regain the pinpoint control I saw from him a couple of years ago to make me a believer...
At the same time, I saw him i(granted - just one start) in Birmingham mow hitters down last year. This year I saw one start at Charlotte (a small park - right?) where he looked solid.

Maybe I am catching Lance at just the right time, but I don't see any reason to doubt that he can be a solid middle of the rotation guy. He won't ever be a #1 or a high end #2. But I believe he could be a #4/#5 next year and then a #3 type guy for a while.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
And look at what the Yanks got from their system the past few years? Not much - they have been rebuilding it for a few.
Chein-Ming Wang - 2005
Robinson Cano - 2005
Melky Cabrera - 2006
I'd say even not counting the 2007 class (Kennedy, Hughes, Chamberlain) that they've been getting a lot out of their farm system the last few years. Hell of a lot more than we have. Must be all the high draft picks they get.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffie View Post
Chein-Ming Wang - 2005
Robinson Cano - 2005
Melky Cabrera - 2006
Not one of those guys was in the amateur draft.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffie View Post
Chein-Ming Wang - 2005
Robinson Cano - 2005
Melky Cabrera - 2006
I'd say even not counting the 2007 class (Kennedy, Hughes, Chamberlain) that they've been getting a lot out of their farm system the last few years. Hell of a lot more than we have. Must be all the high draft picks they get.
Hey - if we spent the kind of money they do on international FA. But we don't have that sort of resouorces to enable that, while putting the team we do on the field. I was referring strictly to the draft - where they have done very little for a long time.

By the way - if you are proposing we start re-allocating funds from current roster to international FA prosopects like the Yanks, I hope you are prepared to see our share of Kei Igawa's too. And for each Kei Igawa, that's one less $9mm player we get off the roster.

Or you want to start paying the money the Yanks do to people they draft? Again - then you need to say where else you aren't spending from, and you need to be prepared for a miserably low success rate (like the Yanks have had the past 5-10 years, and to spend a ton of money on expensive busts.

I'm 100% certain that our fans don't have the intestinal fortitude to suck as bad as we would if we tried to use our financial resources, roll the dice using the Yankees model, and then have it crap out for a bit. Our fans can barely handle a three year stretch that entails a WS, a 90 win season and a crappy year without *****ing about it. There is no way they'd put up with a string of 3-4 years of crap, which is what the Yanks very well could be if they didn't outspend most other franchises by something like $150mm on players (between the minors and the majors)

You know as well as I do Spiff that their organizational model is only sustainable because of the sheer financial power that they have. Reduce it to 125mm per year for the overall organizational annual player payroll expense (currently about 225-250mm?) and they can't recover fromt the Pavanos, the the Igawas, the Giambis, etc. They can't afford A-Rod and Abreu and they can't push people around with sheer economic leverage.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeckusc View Post
and hopefully we'll go a long way toward that goal in the 2nd round too, and 3rd, and 4th, and 5th. lets find some needles in the haystack.....others have been doing it. im not even worried about the 1 or 2 round pick. im worrying about rounds 3-20. that's where you REALLY need to be successful and know what your doing. hopefully '08 will start a trend of successful drafts for us.
Since 2000 we've signed Heath Phillips (10, 2000), Chris Young (16, 2001), Brandon McCarthy (17, 2002), Jack Egbert (13, 2004), Aaron Cunningham (6, 2005), Chris Carter (15, 2005), John Shelby (5, 2006) among others.

Our first round picks since 1996 have been Seay, Dellaero, Wells, Stumm, Borchard, Ring, BA, Fields, Broadway, McCulloch, and Poreda.

I would argue CYoung > Fields and the first rounders before him (a little early to say from 2005 on) are either fill-ins or busts. We've got to do better in round one.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
We've got to do better in round one.
I agree 100%. The Sox have found some middle/late round gems over the past couple of years, but have not been anywhere near acceptable in the first round.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I would argue CYoung > Fields and the first rounders before him (a little early to say from 2005 on) are either fill-ins or busts.
I would think it's a no brainer CY > Fields, Fields hits HRs and will probably walk a little more than Young, but Young hits homers, steals bases (something I'm expecting Fields to do next year), and plays great defense.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
I would think it's a no brainer CY > Fields, Fields hits HRs and will probably walk a little more than Young, but Young hits homers, steals bases (something I'm expecting Fields to do next year), and plays great defense.
Fields will also hit for higher average, if their minor league numbers mean anything.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Fields will also hit for higher average, if their minor league numbers mean anything.
They were on the same team in 2005. Young hit .277. Fields hit .252. Josh has made some good adjustments since then but neither one is going to be vying for the batting title. Peak they are both probably .270 30+HR types, with Young stealing a lot of bases and playing a premium position very well. Of course, this isn't a contest because we could have both.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
They were on the same team in 2005. Young hit .277. Fields hit .252. Josh has made some good adjustments since then but neither one is going to be vying for the batting title. Peak they are both probably .270 30+HR types, with Young stealing a lot of bases and playing a premium position very well. Of course, this isn't a contest because we could have both.
Fields also hit .305 last year, compared to Young's .276 on their respective AAA squads. I don't know much about the two leagues...is there really that big of a skill difference, that Fields would be hitting 30 points higher and they're on the same plane?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 AM
WSI High Priest

I have tried making the first round point several times, thank you for giving me some validation. Granted, being picked in the first round doesn't guarantee any success, but it looks bad when most of these guys struggle. We've had some bad luck and some guys leave in trades and what not, but we need better success out of our higher selections if we're going to commit considerable resources to them. It's great we can get some guys like M.B. who are absolute gems, but I hate to see us pick a ton of pitchers if we don't get anything out of them. That being said, I think we have some guys that show great promise, but promise means squat if they can't cut it and help the Major League team. Here's to hoping that one of these top prospect pitchers of ours can make a contribution to the starting rotation in '08