White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

Default Anyone else hear this about Poreda...??

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=cws

At the bottom, under "down on the farm," it says aaron poreda, after we drafted him, hit 99 on the radar gun. i knew he threw pretty hard for a lefty, but 99?? if thats true, combine that with a nasty sinker, i like his future.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice article about Gio Gonzalez and Jack Egbert too.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Great Falls team has three very nice prospects in Poreda, Morales, and Mabee.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned

i had a buddy of mine that caught john ely as well and said he has nasty stuff. looking at his stats, he has some promise as well.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
The Great Falls team has three very nice prospects in Poreda, Morales, and Mabee.
Well, two legit prospects and a "maybe."
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Beat me to that....
Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeckusc View Post
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=cws

At the bottom, under "down on the farm," it says aaron poreda, after we drafted him, hit 99 on the radar gun. i knew he threw pretty hard for a lefty, but 99?? if thats true, combine that with a nasty sinker, i like his future.
Yes, this is in the new print edition of Baseball America as well. It also says he was shut down for a couple of weeks with a tender elbow, but that he returned for the playoffs and threw two nice games. It also said Poreda was expected to dominate in this league as he was one of the higher drafted players in the league. Good issue all around as it had thumbnails of their top ten prospects in each league. Nice writeups on Chris Carter and Fautino as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
WSI Prelate

I'm shocked to find that professional scouts who watch these guys before making these decisions might actually know more than WSI experts who make calls based on what they read from John Sickels and their own twisted realities about how failing to spend 8mm on a HS kid after 25 other teams pass on him is an indication of our management's incompetence and cheapness.

There is a chance that Aaron Poreda was actually the better draft pick than Rick Porcini if you have an overall organizational perspective on it. Sure - there's a chance Porcharooni might be the next great 21 year old SP in a few years, but there's also a chance that Porcinski turns into the next Ben McDonald or Brien Taylor.

With the SP prospects we have in our system, from the top down, I am optimistic for the future. Now if only we had a few more bats down there...
Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Q: Who's a mabee?
A: That's right.
Q: Who?
A: Mabee.
Q: No, I mean who's a prospect?
A: No, who's a mabee.
Q: I thought who was on first ...

-- Ari Gold

Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeeRichard View Post
Q: Who's a mabee?
A: That's right.
Q: Who?
A: Mabee.
Q: No, I mean who's a prospect?
A: No, who's a mabee.
Q: I thought who was on first ...

Take that, you joke.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
I'm shocked to find that professional scouts who watch these guys before making these decisions might actually know more than WSI experts who make calls based on what they read from John Sickels and their own twisted realities about how failing to spend 8mm on a HS kid after 25 other teams pass on him is an indication of our management's incompetence and cheapness.

There is a chance that Aaron Poreda was actually the better draft pick than Rick Porcini if you have an overall organizational perspective on it. Sure - there's a chance Porcharooni might be the next great 21 year old SP in a few years, but there's also a chance that Porcinski turns into the next Ben McDonald or Brien Taylor.

With the SP prospects we have in our system, from the top down, I am optimistic for the future. Now if only we had a few more bats down there...
All right, I'll take the bait. Did you see this on Baseball America's write up of McCulloch, who was a first-round pick from a big-time college, but could only manage to be the 20th best prospect in a weak Carolina League?

Quote:
Hes going to have to pitch, and to his credit, he battled this year, an AL scout said. He added a pitch because he knew he needed it. I know they hoped hed move fast, but he isnt much more than a No. 5 and hes probably a middle guy.
I never had anything against Poreda. (I just wish the Sox would occasionally step up and spend some money on an amateur player. Foreign or domestic.) And I'll admit in his one start, Broadway did well, so I may have undersold him. But I'm not buying McCulloch. This is the pick that probably got Shaffer fired.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
All right, I'll take the bait. Did you see this on Baseball America's write up of McCulloch, who was a first-round pick from a big-time college, but could only manage to be the 20th best prospect in a weak Carolina League?

I never had anything against Poreda. (I just wish the Sox would occasionally step up and spend some money on an amateur player. Foreign or domestic.) And I'll admit in his one start, Broadway did well, so I may have undersold him. But I'm not buying McCulloch. This is the pick that probably got Shaffer fired.

We picked 29th. Sure - I'd have rather had Lincencum, but he went 10th. Evan Longoria would have been great - but he went third.

Joba went 41 in that draft. I guess we could have had him - but so could EVER OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL.

Kyle may be a bust - but that hardly is an indictment of the Sox, their system, their drafting, or any other picks we made. He was the second to last pick in the first round - and is not the only player in that draft not up yet.

Look at the overall depth and strength of our minor league pitching. Kyle's struggles are more than offset by the successes of others.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 AM
WSI Personality

I suppose our minor league pitching is decent with Egbert, Gio, DLS, and Poreda. Then, Ely and Moreno look promising, but they'll have to do it in a full season league. But if our minor league pitching was outstanding, we would have gotten more help from it during the season. Look at the Yankees. Who was the most successful pitcher we brought up this year? Wasserman? A 25 year-old NDFA sidearmer?

I'm not all doom and gloom when it comes to our system. I'm actually bullish on some of the position players we had at Kanny and Great Falls. For instance, Shelby and Gomes both finished up extremely strong. Maybe they've turned the corner. But overall our minor league talent is below average right now. Ozzie said it, KW has implied it, most of the "experts" believe it too. I'm not trying to be a dark cloud. No one is rooting harder than me that we up the talent level. Hopefully, the 8th pick will go a long way toward that goal.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I suppose our minor league pitching is decent with Egbert, Gio, DLS, and Poreda. Then, Ely and Moreno look promising, but they'll have to do it in a full season league.
And Broadway...

Quote:
But if our minor league pitching was outstanding, we would have gotten more help from it during the season.
Unfortunately the guys closer to ready aren't the best ones.

Quote:
Look at the Yankees.
And look at what the Yanks got from their system the past few years? Not much - they have been rebuilding it for a few.

Quote:
I'm not all doom and gloom when it comes to our system. I'm actually bullish on some of the position players we had at Kanny and Great Falls. For instance, Shelby and Gomes both finished up extremely strong. Maybe they've turned the corner. But overall our minor league talent is below average right now. Ozzie said it, KW has implied it, most of the "experts" believe it too. I'm not trying to be a dark cloud. No one is rooting harder than me that we up the talent level. Hopefully, the 8th pick will go a long way toward that goal.
I know - and you are more knowledgeable about the farm than most here - and I appreciate and respect that. I agree - Kyle looks like he's not going to be much. But with the 29th pick - that doesn't surprise me. The point of my post was that for all the "experts" poopooed the Poreda pick while we passed up Porchooloo, and criticize "safe" picks, the farm system, pitching wise, is really not in nearly as bad of shape as some say.

Yeah - I wish we drafted Joba instead of Kyle. But you know the risks of playing that game - especially when you draft 29th.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I suppose our minor league pitching is decent with Egbert, Gio, DLS, and Poreda. Then, Ely and Moreno look promising, but they'll have to do it in a full season league. But if our minor league pitching was outstanding, we would have gotten more help from it during the season. Look at the Yankees. Who was the most successful pitcher we brought up this year? Wasserman? A 25 year-old NDFA sidearmer?

and hopefully we'll go a long way toward that goal in the 2nd round too, and 3rd, and 4th, and 5th. lets find some needles in the haystack.....others have been doing it. im not even worried about the 1 or 2 round pick. im worrying about rounds 3-20. that's where you REALLY need to be successful and know what your doing. hopefully '08 will start a trend of successful drafts for us.