White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Pedro Alvarez

Anyone know if he actually could play SS?

He sounds like the consensus "best player available" in 2008 - but the Rays would likely pass on him with Longoria close to ready. If we are #2, is he the guy?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Anyone know if he actually could play SS?

He sounds like the consensus "best player available" in 2008 - but the Rays would likely pass on him with Longoria close to ready. If we are #2, is he the guy?
I do not believe he could be moved to short. If he moves, it'll be 1b or corner OF. The reason to draft him is for a bat that been compared to Pujols and Manny Ramirez only left-handed.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

With this loss we are now only ONE GAME ahead of TB for the worst record in baseball! Since there's nothing else to hope for this season, here's hoping for the worst record and number one overall in June. Tampa Bay: you're goin' up baby!!

Let's turn Bukvich into a starter and wrap this thing up!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I do not believe he could be moved to short. If he moves, it'll be 1b or corner OF. The reason to draft him is for a bat that been compared to Pujols and Manny Ramirez only left-handed.
what position does Pedro Alvarez play?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
what position does Pedro Alvarez play?
As I understand it, he plays SS and 3B at Vandy (http://vanderbilt.scout.com/a.z?s=18...=1&nid=2122282). I'm not sure why he couldn't play SS here. California - have you seen him enough to talk of his range/arm? Why don't you think he could play SS here?

Vandy had a kid named Flaherty who played a lot of SS cuz he was much more rangey than Alvarez. But if Vandy had another 3B instead of another SS, Alvarez would have played exclusively at SS. Flaherty is a pretty decent prospect also - he won't go top 5, but I doubt he is there for us when we make our second pick. I'd have no problem taking both of them...

Last edited by jabrch; 09-06-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 PM
WSI High Priest

If his agent is youknowho then they'll pass on him, cuz they're cool like that.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
As I understand it, he plays SS and 3B at Vandy (http://vanderbilt.scout.com/a.z?s=18...=1&nid=2122282). ...
Just like Joey Cora.

If Boras is his agent, chances are he wouldn't want the Sox to draft him and probably wouldn't have him sign with the Sox if they did.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM
WSI High Priest

People might wanna take a look at Justin Smoak, if we end up drafting 2 he would be a great 2nd pick if the D-Rays took Alvarez.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
If his agent is youknowho then they'll pass on him, cuz they're cool like that.
Likely not the case anymore since they would pick at the same spot in the next draft if they are unable to sign him. First round picks have lost some leverage because teams will no longer entirely lose that pick if a guy is not signed.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Just like Joey Cora.

If Boras is his agent, chances are he wouldn't want the Sox to draft him and probably wouldn't have him sign with the Sox if they did.
What does Borass care? He gets his money anyway. If the Sox draft a Borass client then the Sox will have to pony up. The difference though is that instead of spending a buttload of money on a late round pick, they would be spending a buttload of money on #1 overall. The Sox never, ever pick this high in the draft so 2008 would be a great time to make an exception to the rule.

Besides, if the Sox wuss out and do not draft the BAP while drafting first or second, KW and JR are going to have a lot of 'splainin' to do. If that happens the Sox will be roasted by everyone everywhere and deservedly so.

Edit: Also, it's not that Borass is going out of his way to publicly ***** about the Sox' practices. It's the Sox organization whining about money and how everything isn't fair. The Sox are the ones refusing to play the game. I can't stand Borass, but the guy does have every reason to make the most money for himself and his clients. Blame the Sox for not going all out to acquire Borass' talent, not Borass for being shady and driving up the price.

Last edited by UserNameBlank; 09-06-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameBlank View Post
...Besides, if the Sox wuss out and do not draft the BAP while drafting first or second, KW and JR are going to have a lot of 'splainin' to do. If that happens the Sox will be roasted by everyone everywhere and deservedly so. ....
If the Sox have the first, second or even third pick in the draft, they won't draft someone who appears unwilling to sign. Mark Prior wouldn't sign with the Twins, and they had some 'splainin' to do. Not drafting Prior raised some eyebrows, but it worked out in the Twins favor.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Where is Mark Prior these days?

Don't undestimate the ability of the Orioles and Pirates to completely quit these last 3 weeks and pass us up in the #1 choice Derby. And let those bum teams quit like that. I think we'll end up drafting #4
Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 AM
WSI Prelate

I still have seen no proof that we won't draft a Boras client. We didn't draft a HS pitcher who wanted a stupid-ass contract. That's not the same as not being willing to draft a Boras kid.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If the Sox have the first, second or even third pick in the draft, they won't draft someone who appears unwilling to sign. Mark Prior wouldn't sign with the Twins, and they had some 'splainin' to do. Not drafting Prior raised some eyebrows, but it worked out in the Twins favor.
And that was before the rule that replaces an unsigned pick with a pick at the same location in the draft in the following draft. Sure, you can't afford to draft in the top 10 and end up with NOTHING to show for it in terms of a signed player.

But that is not the case anymore.

Also, Mauer has turned out better than Prior, so say what you will, but with the local connection, there was more than just $$$ reason to skip over Prior.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I still have seen no proof that we won't draft a Boras client. We didn't draft a HS pitcher who wanted a stupid-ass contract. That's not the same as not being willing to draft a Boras kid.
Yep. I bet the Sox will have to give a major league contract to whoever they draft as well, so I expect they will stick with a college player.