White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I think Sweeney has the brighter future over BA. Anderson in 400+ career ABs is hitting .219 with a .279 OBP. The number that shows his biggest problem is the near 4:1 K:BB ratio. He doesnt have a plate approach. Sweeney looks like a ball player when hes up there. His swing looks good and he looks like he has a plan. Hes also 4 years younger with plenty of time to grow.

I guess im a little hard of Poreda, and he may be a decent pick up, but he seems like another Broadway to me, a "safe sign" pick when bigger and better talent was on the table. I knew a good amount of Porcello coming into the draft and when I turned on ESPN 2 and saw him sitting there for us, I was like, pick him, pick him now, and we passed of course. Sooner or later our GM is going to have to be willing to negotiate with Boras, or we have to find a GM who will. We lose probably 20% of draftable players and 25% of possible free agents by not being willing to work with Boras. The fact Kenny doesnt deal with him to me means Boras is a better agent then Kenny is a GM.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I guess im a little hard of Poreda, and he may be a decent pick up, but he seems like another Broadway to me, a "safe sign" pick when bigger and better talent was on the table. I knew a good amount of Porcello coming into the draft and when I turned on ESPN 2 and saw him sitting there for us, I was like, pick him, pick him now, and we passed of course. Sooner or later our GM is going to have to be willing to negotiate with Boras, or we have to find a GM who will. We lose probably 20% of draftable players and 25% of possible free agents by not being willing to work with Boras. The fact Kenny doesnt deal with him to me means Boras is a better agent then Kenny is a GM.
I don't think it is true that Kenny won't deal with Boras. I think it is true that Kenny had no interest in dealing with Porcello on the terms that he and his agent (regardless of if it is Boras or not) had laid on the table.

I'm not sure how you possibly think we'd lose 20% of the draftable players or 25% of the FA by not dealing with Boras - that's just not in line with the reality.

This was a case where we (and we weren't alone) specifically were not going to pay the price this kid wanted, as a HS pitcher.

Let's see what happens as we get closer to Crede's FA. I believe KW will negotiate with Boras. (fighting the urge to mention A-Rod, but not getting my hopes up for no reason)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sooner or later our GM is going to have to be willing to negotiate with Boras, or we have to find a GM who will. We lose probably 20% of draftable players and 25% of possible free agents by not being willing to work with Boras. The fact Kenny doesnt deal with him to me means Boras is a better agent then Kenny is a GM.
I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression that it was Reinsdorf that refused to deal with Boras, and KW was just following JR's rules.

Just saying, it may not be fair to blame KW for not dealing with Boras if he's just following orders.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS View Post
News to me Sweeney has a slow bat -
I wouldn't say he has a slow bat, but I definitely would say he has a long, looping swing.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
I wouldn't say he has a slow bat, but I definitely would say he has a long, looping swing.
I can't agree with that at all. Ryan has a beautiful, level swing. I've never heard it described as being "loopy".

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I guess im a little hard of Poreda, and he may be a decent pick up, but he seems like another Broadway to me, a "safe sign" pick when bigger and better talent was on the table.
I guess I don't understand what makes the pick "safe". He's a high ceiling pitcher who has not even come close to maxing out his ability. Broadway and McCullough were safe picks, I will readily agree with that.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I guess I don't understand what makes the pick "safe". He's a high ceiling pitcher who has not even come close to maxing out his ability. Broadway and McCullough were safe picks, I will readily agree with that.
Safe in signability. I mean, he signed what 1-3 days after the draft, he was an easy sign, KW knew that, and it played heavily into the pick. I really hope he turns out to be the next Randy Johnson, and Broadway the next Greg Maddux, if they do we will be great. My problem is we keep drafting 1st rounders who arent making it, while teams picking after us are watching guys succeed (Matt Garza is looking 1000000 times better then Broadway right now).
Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Safe in signability. I mean, he signed what 1-3 days after the draft, he was an easy sign, KW knew that, and it played heavily into the pick.
Pure un-supported speculation. Plain and simple. Absolutely nothing to back that up except your biased perception.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
(Matt Garza is looking 1000000 times better then Broadway right now).
Personally I missed that one, I was anxiously waiting for our pick and praying that we would draft Cesar Carrillo. In our scouting departments defense, Broadway was the best pitcher in college that year, he dominated everyone with pinpoint control and an assortment of secondary stuff. I have no idea what happened to his control, it's baffling. I'm hoping it's just a learning process with his two seamer.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Personally I missed that one, I was anxiously waiting for our pick and praying that we would draft Cesar Carrillo. In our scouting departments defense, Broadway was the best pitcher in college that year, he dominated everyone with pinpoint control and an assortment of secondary stuff. I have no idea what happened to his control, it's baffling. I'm hoping it's just a learning process with his two seamer.
Or maybe he is continuing to "aim" rather than pitch - B/c that secondary stuff gets hit a lot harder in the minor leagues - So he KNOWS he needs to be pinpoint or else he will get rocked...???

If he is anything more than a 5th starter I will be shocked. He will be 25 next year and his ratios are in decline...although the hits per 9 are improving and that is a good sign at least.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
... Looks like we'll get our first top 10 pick in a couple decades!
When was the Sox last top 10 pick?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
When was the Sox last top 10 pick?
Alex Fernandez was the #4 pick in 1990. That's the last time they were in the Top 10.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I can't agree with that at all. Ryan has a beautiful, level swing. I've never heard it described as being "loopy".

Sure you did. You just read "Hillbilly" say it.

Must be true - right?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
What did I win?

Lance was in the final three. I thought a big reason the Sox took Lance was because, even though there were legit questions about his CUSA competition, several of our scouts saw him shut down #1 Tulane late in the season. I, too, wanted Carillo, but that doesn't look like it would have worked out too well either.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post

Lance was in the final three. I thought a big reason the Sox took Lance was because, even though there were legit questions about his CUSA competition, several of our scouts saw him shut down #1 Tulane late in the season. I, too, wanted Carillo, but that doesn't look like it would have worked out too well either.
I saw that game and he did shut down Tulane - but it was the 2nd game of a DH and Tulane had clinched the C-USA title in the first game. (still don't know why TCU saved Broadway for game 2). Broadway was a complete control pitcher. But a good one.
Houston drafted Tulane's Bogusevic - he was really tired by the end of the season and wasn't effective, so I was glad the Sox didn't take him (as much as I loved him in college) - he's had a slow start with the Astros. The best player in C-USA that year was Michah Owings, and he's doing pretty well with the Diamondbacks right now. The other thing is both Owings and Bogusevic were really good college hitters too.

C-USA is the #5 or so baseball league and it puts 4 or 5 into the ncaas each year and usually has a CWS competitor. It's a good league, although there are a few soft teams.

IN another subject, what happened to Ray Liotta?