White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
drafting Andrew Sisco Jr, power arm'd tall lefty who doesn't have a second pitch.
That's completely ridiculous unless you have seen enough of Poreda to conclude that the two are at all similar.

Great Falls beat Missoula 1-0
Poreda 5IP 1H 0R 0ER 1BB 6K 1.09 ERA
Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
Poreda might not be the perfect prospect but it's not fair to compare him to Sisco. Andrew has no idea where the ball is going half the time. Poreda has excellent fastball command.
Doesn't Poreda also have a quality sinker? I thought that is one reason the Sox drafted him, because you have to keep the ball down at the Cell.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Poreda and Sisco are nothing alike in terms of mechanics. Let's not forget that Sisco is 6'11", hard to keep a consistent arm slot when you are that size. Poreda on the other hand is 6'5" and is actually pretty smooth on the mound. I was pretty amazed when watching scouting video at how hard he threw with such an easy motion.

Being a hard throwing lefty doesn't guarantee anything, but it sure helps...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
If they use a top five pick to take a first baseman I will be a bit more than pissed.
If I was convinced he could have a Todd Helton career, I wouldn't agree with that. The Sox haven't had a home-grown 1B since Thomas... who was drafted 18 years ago (not as bad as the SS drought, I admit)...

SS and CF are the positions you usually find your best athletes, so if you have the chance to pick a SS or CF with the total package or a Lincecum/Verlander starter, I would be plenty happy with that.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
WSI Regular

The Sox draft athletes rather than baseball players at least from the positional side. Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, and Lucy all fit that category. Fields is working out so far, but the rest have been flops. They passed on guys like Pedroia and Kirk Suzuki in part because they didn't possess the physical tools of the others. What's funny to me is that they're surprised when a guy like Lucy can't hit - he couldn't hit at Stanford for goodness sake.

I hope the new scouting director puts more emphasis on baseball skill in next year's draft.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealz07 View Post
What's funny to me is that they're surprised when a guy like Lucy can't hit - he couldn't hit at Stanford for goodness sake.
And yet Lucy is twice the defensive catcher any of the catchers they passed on... The jury is still out, no matter hwo bad you want to hang him. He played at 2 levels this year and was still pretty raw at the plate coming out of college due to limited playing time his first 2 seasons behind an All-American.

Anderson and Sweeney have been flops? News to me. When Anderson is healthy, he's going to be an everyday player in the majors. End of story. Most teams would be estatic if you told them to pick in the middle of the 1st round and land an everyday player. More than half of first-rounders never get anywhere near that far.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
And yet Lucy is twice the defensive catcher any of the catchers they passed on... The jury is still out, no matter hwo bad you want to hang him. He played at 2 levels this year and was still pretty raw at the plate coming out of college due to limited playing time his first 2 seasons behind an All-American.

Anderson and Sweeney have been flops? News to me. When Anderson is healthy, he's going to be an everyday player in the majors. End of story. Most teams would be estatic if you told them to pick in the middle of the 1st round and land an everyday player. More than half of first-rounders never get anywhere near that far.
Not hanging Lucy. He never hit at Stanford so it's no surprise he hasn't hit in the minors. Wonderful that he can catch the ball though. It'll keep them from signing Sandy Alomar as their third catcher in '09.

Anderson will be 26 next year and will not hit enough to be an everyday player. There were questions about his hitting mechanics when he was drafted, but the Sox loved his power potential. He's Joe Borchard with a much better glove and without the record signing bonus.

Flop might be to hard of a characterization for Sweeney, but he's getting to the point that you have to wonder. He has a slow bat that forbids him from pulling the ball. Unless he can increase his bat speed he's Sean Burroughs. At 22, Sweeney has fallen behind in his development.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Not hanging Lucy. He never hit at Stanford so it's no surprise he hasn't hit in the minors. Wonderful that he can catch the ball though. It'll keep them from signing Sandy Alomar as their third catcher in '09.

Anderson will be 26 next year and will not hit enough to be an everyday player. There were questions about his hitting mechanics when he was drafted, but the Sox loved his power potential. He's Joe Borchard with a much better glove and without the record signing bonus.

Flop might be to hard of a characterization for Sweeney, but he's getting to the point that you have to wonder. He has a slow bat that forbids him from pulling the ball. Unless he can increase his bat speed he's Sean Burroughs. At 22, Sweeney has fallen behind in his development.
22 in AAA is "falling behind"?

I disagree on Anderson, not to mention your Borchard comparison is utter trash.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Randar he'll be 26. And he's never been able to hit major league pitching. Never.

Sure, it could happen. But you keep talking like it's an eventuality when every bit of evidence suggests otherwise.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Randar he'll be 26. And he's never been able to hit major league pitching. Never.

Sure, it could happen. But you keep talking like it's an eventuality when every bit of evidence suggests otherwise.
When has he seen MLB pitching on a regular basis?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
22 in AAA is "falling behind"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
When has he seen MLB pitching on a regular basis?
You guys a clueless BA fanboys who are overlooking his despicable play and his penchant for more despicable behavior against kittens, children and young mothers.

I think the Sox can win next year with Anderson batting ninth, provided they have a solid 1-8.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Arizona Fall League Rosters Announced

Our guys will be playing on the Desert Dogs this fall.

P - Dewon Day
P - Jack Egbert
P - Fernando Hernandez
P - Adam Russell
C - Donny Lucy
IF - Chris Getz
OF - TBA (Obviously the org. is waiting to make a decision on Sweeney)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

News to me Sweeney has a slow bat -

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS View Post
News to me Sweeney has a slow bat -
And to anyone that's ever watched him play....
Old 08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Go Rangers...

LOL. If the season ended today at noon, the Sox would select 2nd overall behind Tampa Bay (again)...