White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2007, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
We need a young ML ready position player from next years draft IMO. I want to see an Upton type of player...
I agree. The Sox desperately need a position player who has a chance to be a difference maker. My worst fear is KW uses a very high pick to draft some guy who can throw 98 mph but who has no slider, curve, change, or sinker.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Be nice if we can get a ML-ready pitcher like Huston Street, but those don't ever happen that often.
We better not waste a top 10 pick on a relief pitcher.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

I'd like to see a 5 tool high ceiling hitter drafted. Hitters are getting to the majors faster than ever. Upton, Gordon, Zimmerman, Braun, Maybin and Tulowitzki have all made it to the majors from the 2005 draft. So it's not unreasonable for a top 10 pick to come up within a year and a half or less.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

found this online, figured it'd be worth a look:

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/2008+Draft+Watch

the 2 things that stuck out to me was the SS from UCLA that is listed in the top 10 (worth a look?), and the #100 player listed is from Joliet Catholic HS.

Last edited by upperdeckusc; 08-26-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I agree. The Sox desperately need a position player who has a chance to be a difference maker. My worst fear is KW uses a very high pick to draft some guy who can throw 98 mph but who has no slider, curve, change, or sinker.
If he pulls some crap like that, then he's gotta go. This organization desperately needs somebody that can play the game and help lead the franchise for another decade.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
WSI High Priest

The Sox can't miss with their only (hopefully) top ten pick in a long while. They need an impact position player. My only hope is that they go for the guy who they think is the best long-term player and not "the best guy we can sign cheaply". If it takes going "over slot", do it. You're not going to get many chances at draft this high (again, hopefully).
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
The Sox can't miss with their only (hopefully) top ten pick in a long while. They need an impact position player. My only hope is that they go for the guy who they think is the best long-term player and not "the best guy we can sign cheaply". If it takes going "over slot", do it. You're not going to get many chances at draft this high (again, hopefully).
I would love to see a legit SS or a Verlander/Lincecum type of talent. Otherwise, it's hard to say. There is usually a big grop from the first 2-3 guys to the next 4-5 (excepting signability issues).

I still believe you have to take the best prospect available. If a Lincecum talent is available, you can't pass, not with the value of pitchers today.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
I would love to see a legit SS or a Verlander/Lincecum type of talent. Otherwise, it's hard to say. There is usually a big grop from the first 2-3 guys to the next 4-5 (excepting signability issues).

I still believe you have to take the best prospect available. If a Lincecum talent is available, you can't pass, not with the value of pitchers today.
It looks like the Sox will be in the top 5. Hopefully that gets them a core / allstar caliber guy.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
I want to see an Upton type of player...
Who wouldn't? It doesn't mean that kind of player is out there. They're already comparing this kid to the likes of Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. Those don't come along very often.

I hope we take the best guy out there, even if it's not necessarily a need. If it's an outfielder, 3B, SS, P...I don't care, as long as it's the best guy available.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeckusc View Post
found this online, figured it'd be worth a look:

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/2008+Draft+Watch

the 2 things that stuck out to me was the SS from UCLA that is listed in the top 10 (worth a look?), and the #100 player listed is from Joliet Catholic HS.
I read all the profiles of the top ten guys, and the guy who jumps out at me is Justin Smoak. A switch-hitting first baseman who hits for power and average and has great plate discipline. I like the sound of that. Sign him up.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
I read all the profiles of the top ten guys, and the guy who jumps out at me is Justin Smoak. A switch-hitting first baseman who hits for power and average and has great plate discipline. I like the sound of that. Sign him up.
If they use a top five pick to take a first baseman I will be a bit more than pissed.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
If they use a top five pick to take a first baseman I will be a bit more than pissed.
I would have to agree, I would like to see a top OF/SS/ or Pitcher.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
WSI High Priest

If we are going to take a 1b, Smoak is it. Watching the College World Series and before that the regional coverage, this kid is a BEAST. He looks like he has a plan with every at bat. He makes strong contact and has a smooth, nice looking swing. He also is really quick and first and has a solid glove. Not a clogger on the base path. He would make IDEAL sense if we were picking in the 4-6 range. Figure he needs 1-2 years in the minors, he would be coming up to take over first about the time Konerko is making the move to DH. The report is right, the kid is a young Todd Helton.

I agree that if you can fill a tougher spot like SS/2b/CF then do it. But I would rather draft the next Todd Helton then reach for the next Mike Cameron or even BJ Upton (so bad defensively you can barely find a spot to play him)

I will be more pissed if we continue to draft like a small market team and draft a guy we can sign cheap over a guy with all the tools. We did it this year by drafting Andrew Sisco Jr, power arm'd tall lefty who doesn't have a second pitch. In the late 20s you can almost accept it, in the top 7, no.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I will be more pissed if we continue to draft like a small market team and draft a guy we can sign cheap over a guy with all the tools. We did it this year by drafting Andrew Sisco Jr, power arm'd tall lefty who doesn't have a second pitch. In the late 20s you can almost accept it, in the top 7, no.
Poreda might not be the perfect prospect but it's not fair to compare him to Sisco. Andrew has no idea where the ball is going half the time. Poreda has excellent fastball command.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
A switch-hitting first baseman who hits for power and average and has great plate discipline.
That sort of describes Mark Teixeira (who played 3B in college but first in the majors). I'd be very pleased if the Sox drafted a player like that.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.