White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Next Years Draft

For all you guys that follow college or high school baseball are there any projections of who the top 10 prospects for next years draft are? I know I'd like to see a top SS prospect, but honestly, I just want the best prospect available... regardless of position (besides SP). Just curious if there are any Cameron Maybin, Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence out there for us to take next year. Looks like we'll get our first top 10 pick in a couple decades!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
For all you guys that follow college or high school baseball are there any projections of who the top 10 prospects for next years draft are? I know I'd like to see a top SS prospect, but honestly, I just want the best prospect available... regardless of position (besides SP). Just curious if there are any Cameron Maybin, Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence out there for us to take next year. Looks like we'll get our first top 10 pick in a couple decades!
Assuming Jordan Danks keeps developing like he has at UT and that he is available when the Sox pick, I have to think he is one of the front-runners. The Sox love him, and while unsuccessful at signing him in 2005 as a later-round flier pick, he and the organization had great talks, and this before his brother came to the Sox.

Personally I would love to see the Sox get a middle infielder who can hit and play D, but the draft being what it is you have to take the best talent. God forbid we have another Jason Dellareo over Lance Berkman kind of pick.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Are Jordan and John twins? They both look exactly alike, I know this is kinda OT but when I saw his pic I thought he was John.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Are Jordan and John twins? They both look exactly alike, I know this is kinda OT but when I saw his pic I thought he was John.
Nope, Jordan is a couple (I think 3) years younger...
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
Assuming Jordan Danks keeps developing like he has at UT and that he is available when the Sox pick, I have to think he is one of the front-runners. The Sox love him, and while unsuccessful at signing him in 2005 as a later-round flier pick, he and the organization had great talks, and this before his brother came to the Sox.

Personally I would love to see the Sox get a middle infielder who can hit and play D, but the draft being what it is you have to take the best talent. God forbid we have another Jason Dellareo over Lance Berkman kind of pick.

There's some very good talent available in the college ranks next season. UCLA has a nice SS prospect, but I haven't seen how he's done in the summer leagues. Jordan will need to have a MONSTER season to be considered for the spot the Sox will be picking next season. There's
also a lot of pitching talent out West for this upcoming college season.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
There's some very good talent available in the college ranks next season. UCLA has a nice SS prospect, but I haven't seen how he's done in the summer leagues. Jordan will need to have a MONSTER season to be considered for the spot the Sox will be picking next season. There's
also a lot of pitching talent out West for this upcoming college season.
Any names to throw out there?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:23 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Any names to throw out there?
I know who I'd want. link
Old 08-25-2007, 12:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

What spot are the White Sox projected to pick at if the season ended today?
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
What spot are the White Sox projected to pick at if the season ended today?
It is bunched. They are currently tied with Texas for the second worst record in baseball, so they would pick either second or third, but San Fran, Florida, and Pittsburgh are only percentage points away so it'll be a dogfight.

Tampa Bay (as usual) has the first pick all but locked up.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
It is bunched. They are currently tied with Texas for the second worst record in baseball, so they would pick either second or third, but San Fran, Florida, and Pittsburgh are only percentage points away so it'll be a dogfight.

Tampa Bay (as usual) has the first pick all but locked up.
I love the term "dogfight" applied to fighting for the worst record of the league .

Tampa Bay eventually has to click with their talent have a good season one of these years? You would think so at least.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
God forbid we have another Jason Dellareo over Lance Berkman kind of pick.
Sigh. This is the kind of reminder that makes me miss the skate punk kid projectile vomiting picture. Oh wait, here it is.

Ahh. Now I feel better.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't think Danks is eligible for the draft this year. He just completed his sophomore year and college players have to wait to come out after their junior year.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I don't think Danks is eligible for the draft this year. He just completed his sophomore year and college players have to wait to come out after their junior year.
He will be eligible for the 2008 draft.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Pedro Alvarez is definitely someone I would like to see on our roster someday. He can flat out play. Expect a top 5 pick to cost us a lot of money and come with some darn high expectations. Be nice if we can get a ML-ready pitcher like Huston Street, but those don't ever happen that often.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Pedro Alvarez is definitely someone I would like to see on our roster someday. He can flat out play. Expect a top 5 pick to cost us a lot of money and come with some darn high expectations. Be nice if we can get a ML-ready pitcher like Huston Street, but those don't ever happen that often.
We need a young ML ready position player from next years draft IMO. I want to see an Upton type of player...