Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Default KW's talk with the team

Maybe this already has been discussed in other threads. If so, I apologize.

Why did KW tell players to work counts, take walks and wear out the opposing pitcher?

Isn't delivering that message the job of the manager, or perhaps the guy given the ceremonial title "hitting coach?"

I know his most important job is to play cards with the manager, but couldn't he deliver that short message to the clubhouse when it's not his turn to shuffle the deck?

Maybe I can use MS Word to whip up a flyer to e-mail him so he can post it in the clubhouse. (Surely they have some thumb tacks.) That way he only has to miss one hand while he hangs them up, and he won't EVER have to be bothered with talking to players ever again! Then he'll be able to play cards with Ozzie all the time, right? I mean, playing cards is his job, right?

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

"Lighten up Francis."
Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Why did KW tell players to work counts, take walks and wear out the opposing pitcher?
Maybe he's become a Billy Beane disciple. Or maybe that is what good hitters do; they work counts and hit their pitch.

Quote:
Isn't delivering that message the job of the manager, or perhaps the guy given the ceremonial title "hitting coach?"
You missed one; Mr. Cooper is absent from this list. Pitching failed this team most of all.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 AM
WSI Prelate

There seems to be some inconsistency/divergence in philosophy between the GM's recent words, many of his personnel decisions, and the hitting philosophies of the manager and coaching staff.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

:
Well, you see Kenny is a lot like a typical radio station manager. What he talks about is almost always the exact opposite of what he really wants. Example: "We intend to do unique, quality programming" means, "We will continue to play the same crap as everybody else." Got it?

So, when Kenny talks about working counts, taking walks and all that good stuff we love to hear, what he's actually saying is, "As soon as I can find another stiff like Thome who hits HRs, I'll sign him. That is, if it's OK with my co-GM, Paul Konerko."

You just have to learn how to speak weasel...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 AM
WSI Prelate

I understand people's frustration - but it is a bit shortsighted to be bashing Thome. In the first half, he was the ONLY guy hitting on this team.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerzogVon View Post
Well, you see Kenny is a lot like a typical radio station manager. What he talks about is almost always the exact opposite of what he really wants. Example: "We intend to do unique, quality programming" means, "We will continue to play the same crap as everybody else." Got it?

So, when Kenny talks about working counts, taking walks and all that good stuff we love to hear, what he's actually saying is, "As soon as I can find another stiff like Thome who hits HRs, I'll sign him. That is, if it's OK with my co-GM, Paul Konerko."

He was telling the guys what to do, not telling us what would happen.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I know his most important job is to play cards with the manager, but couldn't he deliver that short message to the clubhouse when it's not his turn to shuffle the deck?

Ozzie doesn't play cards. He's strictly a Sudoku guy.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

A bit harsh, I do believe.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
I understand people's frustration - but it is a bit shortsighted to be bashing Thome. In the first half, he was the ONLY guy hitting on this team.
Thome is an asset when he's healthy. But when he's not, he's a detriment. He cannot stay healthy for a full season. Therefore, it makes sense to roll over the DH spot to Dye and Thome depending on health and the match ups.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
You missed one; Mr. Cooper is absent from this list. Pitching failed this team most of all.
Oh, *****. Apples and oranges. Coop was given a bunch of unproven pitchers and wished good luck. Walker has proven hitters, and he couldn't even help them out of their slumps. It's the same crap every year from this guy...prolonged offensive slumps in which they actually have to work out of it themselves.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
So, when Kenny talks about working counts, taking walks and all that good stuff we love to hear, what he's actually saying is, "As soon as I can find another stiff like Thome who hits HRs, I'll sign him.
Thome takes the most walks on the team. What planet are you on?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
"As soon as I can find another stiff like Thome who hits HRs, I'll sign him. That is, if it's OK with my co-GM, Paul Konerko."

That's just completely absurd each time I read it. Thome has a .413 OBP. He is the best hitter this team has had this year - by a wide margin.

I'm glad KW doesn't give a damn what the fans think. The more I hear them, the more I am convinced that the majority of the most vocal ones know absolutely nothing..
Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

And just because its Ozzie's job to tell the players what to do doesn't mean KW couldn't or shouldn't say something. If KW decides he wants to talk to Konerko or Thome or whoever, however he wants; he's the one who put the team together.

I'm glad to see KW stepping into the clubhouse as well. It can be a great reminder of:

"I brought you into this team, and quite frankly, I can take you out."

(All due respect to Bill Cosby intended.)

Up until this season, Kenny has done right by the fans in putting together a competitive team. This one had the chance, but he didn't do enough to shore up the bench and provide backup players who could step in and keep the team competitive. I'm not about to tar/feather him for it.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

Kenny should bring in a few people to translate in several different languages, including signing, because the languages they have been using all year obviously don't work with this bunch.