White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 AM
Sockinchisox Sockinchisox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Darien, IL
Posts: 6,537
Default McCulloch Promoted to Birmingham

From the Trib.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 AM
jabrch jabrch is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 15,202
Default

Good for Kyle. Wasted draft pick

The rotation in Birmingham is pretty good. no? - Gio, Egbert, Kyle, Russell and eithe Wing or Whisler? How's that compare to other Southern Leage rotations?
__________________
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Last edited by jabrch; 08-05-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 AM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Good for Kyle. Wasted draft pick

The rotation in Birmingham is pretty good. no? - Gio, Egbert, Kyle, Russell and eithe Wing or Whisler? How's that compare to other Southern Leage rotations?
Russell was moved to the bullpen a few weeks ago.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 AM
UserNameBlank UserNameBlank is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,204
Default

Collaro and Lucy to Triple A as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,068
Default

Good for him. Next step is Charlotte because I don't see him going straight to the majors.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 AM
jabrch jabrch is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 15,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Russell was moved to the bullpen a few weeks ago.
That's right - forgot that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default

Has any corresponding move been made to replace McCullouch?

De Los Santos, if he's healthy, would be a candidate. Otherwise, maybe Long.

Last edited by KyWhiSoxFan; 08-05-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Has McCullough really ever shown anything to get scouts excited? At this point I view him as a back of rotation guy at best.

His first start didn't go so well.
5 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 PM
California Sox California Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,441
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Has McCullough really ever shown anything to get scouts excited? At this point I view him as a back of rotation guy at best.

His first start didn't go so well.
5 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
I'm not super optimistic on him either. He was the 29th pick, though. Guys picked that late are never a sure thing. I would have rather gone for more of a stuff guy like Joba Chamberlain or a high school position player. Oh well, hopefully he'll help us someday as a trading chip.
__________________
Witness to the agony ('76 Sox season tix) and the ecstasy (2005 World Champions!)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Has McCullough really ever shown anything to get scouts excited? At this point I view him as a back of rotation guy at best.
I have the same feelings about Broadway. Maybe the Sox can get something of value from either McCulloch or Broadway by dealing them this winter. I have doubts either will make it to the big leagues, and if they do, it may be just out of the pen.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I have the same feelings about Broadway. Maybe the Sox can get something of value from either McCulloch or Broadway by dealing them this winter. I have doubts either will make it to the big leagues, and if they do, it may be just out of the pen.
When I first saw Broadway I was somewhat optimistic. He had excellent control and had some nice movement on his pitches. Now it seems like he walks 4 guys a game on average and doesn't have the strikeouts to pick them up. I'm hoping that one of these two can pick it up and become productive sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
SoxxoS SoxxoS is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe AZ during school, lombard IL in the summer
Posts: 6,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I'm not super optimistic on him either. He was the 29th pick, though. Guys picked that late are never a sure thing. I would have rather gone for more of a stuff guy like Joba Chamberlain or a high school position player. Oh well, hopefully he'll help us someday as a trading chip.
Guys picked in the top 5 aren't a sure thing especially in the baseball draft, either.

Your first rounder should have a high ceiling, IMO. If he is going to bust, at least let him have the chance to be REALLY good. MCCollough will never be a #1 or #3 even - A back of rotation guy. This was Shaffer trying to safe his ass. Him, Ring and Broadway. All painful first round picks.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
UserNameBlank UserNameBlank is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
When I first saw Broadway I was somewhat optimistic. He had excellent control and had some nice movement on his pitches. Now it seems like he walks 4 guys a game on average and doesn't have the strikeouts to pick them up. I'm hoping that one of these two can pick it up and become productive sooner or later.
I think I read somewhere that his walks and K's have both risen with the continued development of his two-seamer. I can definitely live with that if he can learn to control it a little better because he can use all the movement he can get. Another year in Triple A would probably do him very well, but I don't know what is going to happen with him. I would imagine that he's on the trade block over the offseason regardless of what Floyd does, and if he does get traded elsewhere he could be in the big leagues next year.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.