White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default Batboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Thief View Post
Who's your friend? Stuben?
!!!!! It's StRubin!!! No, it's Mooney.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

MCH how old are you, Im guessing there is an age limit?

I think were doing it. We had higher expectations and bigger payrolls than those other teams whove done it, and we are overcoming some injuries. Some guys are coming back to normal and the guys that arent have been replace by young, hungry guys. Plus almost all of our starters can shut you down. Anyone who has watched knows the bullpen is better lately. So we have to go like 33-18? Thats how we started last year, and this is almost the same team, definately possible. One game at a time, when youre hot, when it rains it pours works both ways.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
WSI Personality

Since when did so many on here think like cub fans?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
Since when did so many on here think like cub fans?
What do you mean?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHSoxFan View Post
What do you mean?
I think he means "delusionally."

Seriously. It doesn't make sense even to bring it up. Maybe if they get it down to five. But that's a big if.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
WSI Personality

Im disappointed in all these people who are just shooting down people with a bit of optimism for this season and calling them cub fans because of it. We are playing good baseball right now, hopefully we can make a run out of it and give us a little excitement. Its tough to follow your team when theres no excitement.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox3072 View Post
Im disappointed in all these people who are just shooting down people with a bit of optimism for this season and calling them cub fans because of it. We are playing good baseball right now, hopefully we can make a run out of it and give us a little excitement. Its tough to follow your team when theres no excitement.
There is nothing wrong with liking how the team is playing now. However, the team is SEVEN games under .500 in AUGUST. They currently sit in fourth place, ten games out. Can the Sox come back to win? It's possible, but highly unlikely. Every year when the Cubs go on some type of winning streak, they claim it's their year! It's rather annoying to hear, and I can certainly see the reference.

All baseball teams throughout the season go on both winning and losing streaks. The 1989 White Sox are the worst White Sox team in my lifetime. They won eight games in a row at one point during the season. The 2005 World Series champion White Sox lost seven games in a row at time during the season. Also, the White Sox are famous for going on late runs in the season when they are way out of first place (see 1987, 1998, 2002, 2004 as some examples). With the state of the division now, had the White Sox lineup was even average, they be in a good position. MY thoughts on this latest run, where was this earlier in the year (queue in the Hawk's lame excuses/company propaganda)...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
There is nothing wrong with liking how the team is playing now. However, the team is SEVEN games under .500 in AUGUST. They currently sit in fourth place, ten games out. Can the Sox come back to win? It's possible, but highly unlikely. Every year when the Cubs go on some type of winning streak, they claim it's their year! It's rather annoying to hear, and I can certainly see the reference.

All baseball teams throughout the season go on both winning and losing streaks. The 1989 White Sox are the worst White Sox team in my lifetime. They won eight games in a row at one point during the season. The 2005 World Series champion White Sox lost seven games in a row at time during the season. Also, the White Sox are famous for going on late runs in the season when they are way out of first place (see 1987, 1998, 2002, 2004 as some examples). With the state of the division now, had the White Sox lineup was even average, they be in a good position. MY thoughts on this latest run, where was this earlier in the year (queue in the Hawk's lame excuses/company propaganda)...
Im not saying that this is our seasnon. Im not saying were gonna make the playoffs now. Im just saying there is a possibility we could. I wouldnt have said that 2 weeks ago. I dont think theres a problem with having a glimmer of hope left in the tank
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySwiss View Post
Well, the Twins won the division last year, but were one and done in the playoffs. The Tigers --OTOH--made the World Series as the wild card--and then proceeded to choke away the Series to a (cough!) NL Central team.

In other words, I don't think it's all that clear-cut.
Yes that is true and I don't really care for the wild card because of it. However, if we somehow win this division I seriously doubt the Wild Card is coming from Central.

Still, you caught me .
Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post

I'm sure the dopes at BP, the resident geniuses and the propeller heads would find a wa to disagree with you.
Have those guys decided whether or not we made the playoffs a couple of seasons ago yet?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not on the playoff bangwagon, but don't go ripping the guys who are more optimistic by calling them Cub fans. There's a huge difference between this White Sox team and the usual group of Cub crap. This team has a large group of players that have actually won the World Series together and have shown the ability to win games in large bunches (eg. the 2006 White Sox going 52- 27 from April to June and the 2005 White Sox going 53- 24 in that same timespan).

I'm not saying it's possible, but at least we know that these guys have done it before which is more than what a Cub fan can say.

For those interested our record in August and September over the past two years is not very good. 31- 28 in 2005 and 28- 30 last year. If we get to .500 before the end of the year, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I'm not on the playoff bangwagon, but don't go ripping the guys who are more optimistic by calling them Cub fans. There's a huge difference between this White Sox team and the usual group of Cub crap. This team has a large group of players that have actually won the World Series together and have shown the ability to win games in large bunches (eg. the 2006 White Sox going 52- 27 from April to June and the 2005 White Sox going 53- 24 in that same timespan).

I'm not saying it's possible, but at least we know that these guys have done it before which is more than what a Cub fan can say.
Konerko
Uribe
Pierzynski
Dye
Podsednik
Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Jenks

That's all that's left of the 2005 World Series team. 8 guys who played the entire season, and one guy who came up late in the year. Admittedly the names on that list are many of the most important ones, the real leaders of the team, but still this team is pretty far removed already from that 2005 team.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox3072 View Post
Im disappointed in all these people who are just shooting down people with a bit of optimism for this season and calling them cub fans because of
It's probably becauase the vast majority of those people are the same people starting threads about how ridiculous Cubs fans sound every year when their team really isn't in it but they're doing the same thing.

There's nothing wrong with a little optimism, as long as it's tempered by realism. Sure, we're not mathematically eliminated. Sure, we're playing better. But we've gone on this tremendous tear, and things are still pretty bleak. Talking playoffs is absurd. And Sox fans talking about how we're going to make the playoffs this year like it's something that's gonna happen...well, it just plain makes the rest of us look bad.

Tongue and cheek talking division is okay. Hoping we can get back in, but admitting how incredibly difficult that will be is okay. But some people are talking like we've got this thing locked up, and we're not evening competing yet.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
I think he means "delusionally."

Seriously. It doesn't make sense even to bring it up. Maybe if they get it down to five. But that's a big if.
If it's down to five before September I'll be pretty excited. If not, I'm still quite excited for next year with these new guys.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
WSI Guru

The only thing I'm looking forward to at this present moment is seeing the development of Fields, Owens, and Richar, as well as getting over .500, being competitive and being a nice spoiler too. Hopefully KW has something "up his sleeve" this offseason and is able to get something together either this November or at the Winter Meetings.

26 Other Games I have (all season tickets): 10/11 vs. Buffalo (home opener), 10/16 vs. Calgary, 10/21 vs. Philadelphia, 10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 2/24 vs. Florida, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Vancouver