White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 AM
WSI Personality

I want to point out that Honel was already paid (signing bonus) and the Sox are paying him nothing (he gets paid a monthly salary of probably 2000 bucks or so and gets whatever ever other non-minor league free agent gets, ie he gets paid the same as the rest of his Barons teammates).

At least thats my understanding of how the vast majority of all draft signings work (there are exceptions such as the Willy Mo signing or the Jeff Smardtza signings which I think were both pro contracts and as such involved an actual yearly salary as well as a signing bonus).

In terms of Kris Honel, he was very highly touted when the Sox drafted him and people all over the place were raving about Honel (Its funny how quickly people forget how BA and other publications were all penciling this guy in the rotation). Of course the last time Honel was a prospect, Ryan Wing was also a top prospect (at least in the Sox system, not necessarily indicative of him being one of the better prospects in baseball like Kris once was). It is great to see Wing pitching well in the minors again for the Sox (I hope he makes it as he's a hard working good guy).

He was a prep pitcher with the best breaking ball in the draft, but he never and I mean never had a good fastball (at least not in his professional career). I interviewed him and saw him on multiple ocassions when he was a top prospect and I remember writing to the fact that he was a bit over-rated (specifically because everyone talked about this 93-94 MPH fastball which was really 88-90).

Once he lost velocity off an already pedestrian fastball he got himself into trouble and than injury concerns came up (at one point IIRC, no one even knew what was wrong with him...this was when he initially fell off the prospect wheel a couple years back with the Barons when he was coming off a positive season in Kanny/WS).