White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 AM
WSI Regular

Here's the link to the article in the Birmingham newspaper.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamn...800.xml&coll=2

"Prior's going to take care of business," says Leroy Ramsay, a Chicago cabbie. "But if they miss that train, they've still got a mule to ride with Kerry Wood.

"There's no way the Marlins are going to beat them both."
Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Trevor Ruffin and Rodney Bolton are names that come to mind.
Those are the names.. Ruffin, Ruffcorn and Bolton.
Its been driving me nuts recently trying to remember these guys.

The high hopes for these guys was something I remember.
I did see Ruffcorn pitch up here once..
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarte708 View Post
So, are we supposed to just excuse the selection because he was injured?

Sounds like your making excuses for the failures of the organization.

More first round busts like this in a few years and more than Shaffer will be finding themselves unemployed.
This is supposed to be in teal, right?

First rounders with chronic injuries don't get guys fired. First rounders that can't make it past AA do. Wyatt Allen was a bigger bust than Honel IMO.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law11 View Post

I think if the internet had been as prevalent back in the early 90's we wouldn't have thought twice about guys like Ruffin. A quick glance at his minor league stats would have shown astute fans that he was walking people and his WHIP was sky high. Bolton's awful K rate would have gotten the red flags out too.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law11 View Post

James Baldwin was included in that group of promising youngsters that was supposed to dominate for years. Baldwin was the only one from that bunch who managed to have an average MLB career with 2000 being J.B.'s highlight year.
Another name you may remember from that era was Mike Bertotti. He didn't have quite the same fanfare and hype that the other guys did but he was another promising young pitcher who got lit up on the MLB level.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarte708 View Post
So, are we supposed to just excuse the selection because he was injured?

Sounds like your making excuses for the failures of the organization.

More first round busts like this in a few years and more than Shaffer will be finding themselves unemployed.
Is this a serious post or are you just trying to get a rise out of us?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post

Maybe Honel, Ruffcorn, and Tom Fordham can get together and open up a feed store or hot dog stand.

Which one will then become Mike North's replacement?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
WSI Guru

Default Kris Honel Story -- Very Strange

I have no idea what's going on or the motivation behind it. He's retired but still wants to play?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports...01SPT5.article

Lip
Old 08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I have no idea what's going on or the motivation behind it. He's retired but still wants to play?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports...01SPT5.article

Lip
I'm sure the motivation is he doesn't feel he has his best chance with the Sox. But, why retire? The Sox essentially said he could go... so why not just ask to leave or be traded?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
I'm sure the motivation is he doesn't feel he has his best chance with the Sox. But, why retire? The Sox essentially said he could go... so why not just ask to leave or be traded?
The Sox wouldn't get anything of value for him. And if he retires, we don't have to pay him. Seems mutually beneficial for him to do it this way. We save money and get rid of a guy we're not really high on anymore. And he gets to go somewhere for a fresh start.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 PM
WSI Regular

I can't believe how time has flown by. Honel was drafted 6 years ago and is now 24 years old? Wow. In my mind I always think of him as being a "young guy" in the system who should be breaking into the bigs, but if he was going to make it he probably would have gotten his shot by now. I hope he finds success somewhere. This must be a tough time for him.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
WSI Regular

Please excuse my snarky response, but, I have to say it...Kris was drafted because of his upside, and because he was a local kid. I recall distinctly, the interviews and articles that spoke with him about being a local and how great it must be to play for his "home team", and he admitted that he grew up a CUBS fan, but to play it safe, he said that he liked BOTH teams...Flash forward several injury riddled seasons of lackluster results, "poor Kris" articles, because he was passed over by much better prospects, and now his "poor me, pity me" attitude without any gratitude to our team, for giving him his shot at the pros, or paying him for his ineptitude.

The White Sox didn't DFA him. They were willing to keep paying him and fulfilling their end of the contract (otherwise he would have been gone long ago) in the faint hopes that this first round draft pick could turn it arround. But, did he want to fulfill his part of the contract? Noooooo. He is not in the bigs, because he is no longer any good (if he ever truly was), and he now wants to take his ball and go home. It is absolutely ridiculous.

IMHO He never wanted to be here in the first place. He won't make any comments about the situation or organization until AFTER he is "retired", and gee whiz, it's not really a retirement, because he plans to play again, and rejoin his former H.S. teammate in the CUBS minor league organization (or at least that is the speculation).

Aaaarrrrgggh It really drives me nuts. Do your job! Finish what you started! We didn't give up on you Kris! You are an also ran that never was...Good riddance to bad rubbish!

(deep breath) Ok...all better, rant over. Sorry guys....really I am.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 PM
WSI Regular

My guess is he is retiring to avoid further risk of injury by continuing to pitch for an organization where he is clearly out of favor.

Perhaps the "retirement" keeps him in a good standing status and/or accelerates the release procedures to allow another club to retain his rights.

I would be interested to follow his next steps to better understand this situation.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureJazzMan View Post
Please excuse my snarky response, but, I have to say it...Kris was drafted because of his upside, and because he was a local kid. I recall distinctly, the interviews and articles that spoke with him about being a local and how great it must be to play for his "home team", and he admitted that he grew up a CUBS fan, but to play it safe, he said that he liked BOTH teams...Flash forward several injury riddled seasons of lackluster results, "poor Kris" articles, because he was passed over by much better prospects, and now his "poor me, pity me" attitude without any gratitude to our team, for giving him his shot at the pros, or paying him for his ineptitude.

The White Sox didn't DFA him. They were willing to keep paying him and fulfilling their end of the contract (otherwise he would have been gone long ago) in the faint hopes that this first round draft pick could turn it arround. But, did he want to fulfill his part of the contract? Noooooo. He is not in the bigs, because he is no longer any good (if he ever truly was), and he now wants to take his ball and go home. It is absolutely ridiculous.

IMHO He never wanted to be here in the first place. He won't make any comments about the situation or organization until AFTER he is "retired", and gee whiz, it's not really a retirement, because he plans to play again, and rejoin his former H.S. teammate in the CUBS minor league organization (or at least that is the speculation).

Aaaarrrrgggh It really drives me nuts. Do your job! Finish what you started! We didn't give up on you Kris! You are an also ran that never was...Good riddance to bad rubbish!

(deep breath) Ok...all better, rant over. Sorry guys....really I am.
Hangar?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hangar?
No way...the punctuation and use of capital letters is way too good.

SMO