White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned

Default Do you think A Rod took steroids

When Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez.
Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."
When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."
Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
When Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez.
Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."
When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."
No chance, hes the same size as he was when he was 19 and hes just an unbelievable hitter that is probably one of the greatest hitter all-time and the greatest hitter baseball has seen in years.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

At this point anything is possible. I never thought Palmero took 'roids because he stayed basically the same size. Yea, he turned into a power hitter but he didn't get that big.

Put it this way, I'm done being surprised by baseball players using steroids or HGH. There is only so many times I can be so gullible.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:37 PM
WSI Guru

I would be shocked if he did.

Lip
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

I think Jose is just trying to make as much money as possible.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Jose is just out to schill another book. His comments about A-Rod, on a Boston radio station?

Shocking!

I don't think Alex has/had taken stuff; but moving forward in sports? I'd be surprised if he did, but not shocked. Nothing is as it seems in sports anymore.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 PM
WSI Prelate

But he's the great clean hope.

I wouldn't suspect Rodriguez, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were revealed he took steroids. It would be harder for many to accept because he isn't the complete jerk that Barry Bonds is or the buffoon that Sammy Sosa is. But Mark McGwire was essentially the same player in his rookie season and even at USC, and people generally take it as a given that he was steroids-assisted.

A lot of players people consider clean wouldn't surprise me, but a few players that people try to link to steroids sometimes surprises me. There were journalists in Northern California in 2005 who tried to link Frank Thomas to steroids. Thomas, however, is one player I firmly don't believe is/was steroids-assisted.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Canseco probably wrote about ARod's personal life and possibly some extra marital affairs he may have had.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

There are so many different types of steroids on the market. Most people associate steroids with body-builder phsyiques and bulging biceps. However, look at the scandal involved with the "Tour De Farce" in France this year.

Many steroids involve human growth hormones and allow the body to recover faster after physical stress. Palmeiro for example, did not show outward signs of muscle development and/or increased strength, however could have simply recovered better from the previous day's game and as result felt better and therefore peformed better.

The challenge is where do we draw the line? I guess a substance being illegal is a place to start. McGwire used substances that could be bought at GNC, however were considered illegal in pro sports so that's a contradiction.

I agree Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro and Sosa all cheated, however so did Phil Neikro using pine tar and files to doctor a ball between pitches.

It's a tough call.

I think Canseco's next tell all will be more about the lifestyle pro athletes have vs. steroid use. Nice guy! He probably will tell a story of how Alex picked up two bar skanks in KC when they were teamates in NY, blah, blah, blah.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 PM
WSI Personality

Is this conversation really necessary anymore? Does anybody really want to keep hearing this?

Then again Canseco's book sales will probably tell us.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgosox1592 View Post
No chance, hes the same size as he was when he was 19 and hes just an unbelievable hitter that is probably one of the greatest hitter all-time and the greatest hitter baseball has seen in years.
Look at all the cyclists who dope... none of them are big. Steroids aren't always used just to make you big. Lots of ways you can use 'roids to get different results- just like normal exercise.

While the "size test" can be used to show almost without a doubt that some people have used... not gorwing in size does not mean they weren't used.

Who knows if he did.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgosox1592 View Post
That doesn't mean anything: it's HGH that causes Sosa/Bonds/McGwire-like growth. You can take steroids just to improve your eye sight or improve endurance, speed, etc.

I wouldn't put him at the top of the list of suspects, but I wouldn't be surprised to find anyone in MLB the last 20 years took steroids, either.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

The stuff about Arod will be about his affairs. Canseco using roids to drive up sales.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Here's a quick question. Did Conseco play on any team with A-Rod?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Here's a quick question. Did Conseco play on any team with A-Rod?
Texas I think, not 100% sure though.