White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Michael Dubee (pitcher we acquired for Gooch)

A quick blurb:

"Michael Dubee was a 32nd-round pick for the Royals who faded as the season went on, but he has an advanced feel for pitching and a four-pitch repertoire. The son of Phillies pitching coach Rich, Dubee's fastball was up to 94 mph last fall, though he pitched around 87 mph this spring. He has a good curveball that he'll throw in any count. He uses his changeup effectively against lefthanders." --- 2006 draft report

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:59 PM
WSI Regular

He is not a prospect. He should not even pitch in AA.

Iguchi was sold basically. Kenny tried to save face and get "something" for him which in actuality turned out to be nothing. This is a terrible deal. But as always you take too much heat if you hold onto a guy until he walks. Same thing happened with Ray Durham except Jon Adkins actually had some ability!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglovesox View Post

Iguchi was sold basically. Kenny tried to save face and get "something" for him which in actuality turned out to be nothing. This is a terrible deal. But as always you take too much heat if you hold onto a guy until he walks. Same thing happened with Ray Durham except Jon Adkins actually had some ability!
And what's wrong with that, really? What was another 2 months of Iguchi going to do?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:

The Sox drafted Dubee out of HS, he did not sign and went to college, and was drafted out of college by the Royals, and traded to the Phillies, he is a prospect.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The Sox drafted Dubee out of HS, he did not sign and went to college, and was drafted out of college by the Royals, and traded to the Phillies, he is a prospect.
Was he really traded to the Phillies? I read he was our 20th round pick in 2004, the Royals 32nd round pick in 2005 and the Phillies 18th round pick in 2006. He had a pretty good year in 2006 in JC and was due to transfer to the University of Tennessee. He ended up signing with the Phillies after the draft.

All that said, I agree he's a prospect.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

*** do you know? A terrible deal? Danny Richar is the most valuable player in the discussion and he's going to get playing time because of this deal. As for what we could have gotten, Iguchi wasn't going to be worth any draft picks so it's either take a low level prospect or some washout former major league player. KW took the smart route. It's just too bad KW didn't make this kind of move earlier. Hopefully Pods and co. are next to be shipped out of here. It's time for Sweeney.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
WSI Personality

Does anyone know if he got his velocity back this yr?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think the most important issue here is the fact that the Sox now have Dubee, Danks, and Hash all in the same organization. We could have drafted Smoker this year but didn't, although we did draft another Danks before and may do so again.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Too bad this guy is out of baseball.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameBlank View Post
*** do you know?
The post would have accomplished its purpose without this sentence. No personal attacks. You've been warned before.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 AM
WSI Regular

Post Tryouts...

So if Owens & the young 2B are going to get 2 month tryouts, and I assume that Crede's future at third is a question mark because Fields is doing well in his "tryout," where is Sweeney? Do we have to move Dye before he gets to come up? And would that fly w/out the media calling it "another white flag season on the South Side?"
Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tab View Post
And would that fly w/out the media calling it "another white flag season on the South Side?"
It is a "White Flag" season - we have surrendered - and for good reason. The difference between this and the last one is that we were only 4 1/2 games out (I think) when we made that deal. This time we are long out. Smart teams know when to wave the white flag and capitalize on valuable pieces. I hope KW continues to move veterans who aren't part of the future. Dye should be next to go unless he signs a contract that gives KW significant value. Unfortunately Contreras will be hard to move at this point - certainly you won't get anything for him - and you may not want to deal Javy and Jon.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 AM
WSI Regular

Ok all of you who said he was a prospect. Why?

Below average stuff across the board. Will barely scrape 90 which for relievers is below major league average. This guy is not a major league prospect guys. I am sorry but I'm being honest here. Saw this guy throw in June against Hagerstown. I think he had 2 scoreless innings but nothing is there guys. Listen I think we could have gotten more for an established big league 2B. Not a reliever in low-A. Just like trading an established Ray Durham who is still producing in the major leagues for reliever Jon Adkins. Not trying to pick fights here but giving my honest opinion.

We gave Iguchi away.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

Ha, I heard this guy was the pitching coach's son, probably only on the roster for that reason, must be pretty worthless to trade him away. Well, the postgame they said Kenny said he didn't care about the player coming back since it was to open a roster spot. But please, don't give me this crap about 'ooo, it's possible we'll sign Iguchi this offseason', then what was the point? And I'm sure it's a lot easier to sign him when other teams are now in the running
Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tab View Post
So if Owens & the young 2B are going to get 2 month tryouts, and I assume that Crede's future at third is a question mark because Fields is doing well in his "tryout," where is Sweeney? Do we have to move Dye before he gets to come up? And would that fly w/out the media calling it "another white flag season on the South Side?"
Well, there's a huge difference between that season and this one. This year, we're currently 13.5 games back, in '97 we were only 3.5 back.

Kenny plans on building a contender over the offseason, so he needs to get a gauge on what these kids can do. They will either earn themselves a job for next year, or Kenny will have to fill those holes elsewhere.