White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

Default Gammons may quit ESPN

Peter Gammons is not a happy camper as ESPN has forced him to stop appearing on WEEI Boston and instead appear on WAMG (ESPN-Boston) which up to now has been a non factor in the Boston market. Gammons appeared on WEEI this afternoon and said if they don't like me being here I will quit ESPN.

Gammons got his media start with WEEI almost 20 years ago when he was still with the Boston Globe and says the Sunday baseball show is what he enjoys doing the most.

The major problem with WAMG is the signal of the station which being on 890 has to protect WLS in Chicago. The station is being programmed by Len Weiner who was fired a year ago by WGN Radio.

http://www.espnboston.com/
Old 04-03-2007, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway View Post
Peter Gammons is not a happy camper as ESPN has forced him to stop appearing on WEEI Boston and instead appear on WAMG (ESPN-Boston) which up to now has been a non factor in the Boston market. Gammons appeared on WEEI this afternoon and said if they don't like me being here I will quit ESPN.

Gammons got his media start with WEEI almost 20 years ago when he was still with the Boston Globe and says the Sunday baseball show is what he enjoys doing the most.

The major problem with WAMG is the signal of the station which being on 890 has to protect WLS in Chicago. The station is being programmed by Len Weiner who was fired a year ago by WGN Radio.

http://www.espnboston.com/
Whoa. That actually is a bit of a big deal. I can't believe ESPN is THAT full of themselves that they would force Gammons into making that decision.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

As much as he tends to focus on Boston a lot (since he's from there), he still really really knows his stuff about the rest of the league, much more so than most of the talking heads ESPN throws out there every day. That would be a blow to ESPN. Somehow I can't see them letting him walk.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Whoa. That actually is a bit of a big deal. I can't believe ESPN is THAT full of themselves that they would force Gammons into making that decision.
ESPN-Disney doesn't even own the Boston station in question.

ESPN-Boston is a joke at night with a whopping 3,300 watts and 5 towers to protect WLS. They of course had the World Series radio rights for the Boston market and nobody could hear it.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=L&hours=N
Old 04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

My message to Gammons: QUIT ALREADY!!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
ESPN-Disney doesn't even own the Boston station in question.

ESPN-Boston is a joke at night with a whopping 3,300 watts and 5 towers to protect WLS. They of course had the World Series radio rights for the Boston market and nobody could hear it.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=L&hours=N

What does "protect WLS" mean? Does that mean thaye have to have a directional broadcast on that freq. at night?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
What does "protect WLS" mean? Does that mean thaye have to have a directional broadcast on that freq. at night?
Exactly

WLS is the clear channel station on 890 and can transmit in a full 360 with one tower.

WAMG can not beam anything at night to the west after sundown.

A good Chicago example is WMVP (ESPN-1000) They can not beam to the west to protect a station in Seattle.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

Well, I guess if Gammons quits he can then officially take on the title of VP of ass kissing for all things Red Sox. He would report directly to John Henry.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Exactly

WLS is the clear channel station on 890 and can transmit in a full 360 with one tower.

WAMG can not beam anything at night to the west after sundown.

A good Chicago example is WMVP (ESPN-1000) They can not beam to the west to protect a station in Seattle.
I'm sorry for being obtuse, but I'm just curious and not understanding the whole concept of "protecting a station." Does this just mean that they are prohibited from sending a signal in a certain direction during certain times in order to not interfere with another signal?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

How long til they try to get Steve Stone away from the score.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

Good riddance, I'm sick of his Red Sox bias.

On Saturday at ESPN.com he predicted the Tigers would win the World Series. The very next night on baseball tonight he said Schilling would beat Pedro in game 7 for a Red Sox World Series.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf View Post

On Saturday at ESPN.com he predicted the Tigers would win the World Series. The very next night on baseball tonight he said Schilling would beat Pedro in game 7 for a Red Sox World Series.
That was his back-handed way of predicting a mid-season trade between the Kitties and Carmines.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 PM
WSI Personality

Please let this be the demise of Gammons on ESPN. Not that I watch it anyways, he just comes across as a bit of a turd, but then again so do the rest of them.

Your city blows and nobody gives a ****, get a hint. Its no different than Atlanta, just colder with more obnoxious fans.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf View Post
Just because Gammons grew up as a Red Sox fan, it doesn't mean he's not impartial when the time comes. Gammons respects baseball, and he'll give praise to other teams when its earned. He gave a five minute speech on the White Sox after they won the World Series that made me a fan of his forever. He compared the Sox season (wire to wire, best record in AL, 11-1 post-season run) to some of the greatest teams in baseball history ('27 Yankees, '98 Yankees, '75 Reds). Go back and find a tape of that - you might be surprised.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
WSI High Priest

he's buying the cubs!!!