White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Neighborhood update...

On my way home today I decided to take a quick detour by the ballpark and check out the progress on the new condominiums and single family homes across the highway on State Street. I think people are going to be shocked when they get off the Green Line on Opening Day and see how nice that area has become and just how different it is going to look. Driving through the intersection on 35th and State it feels like you could be on any nice block in the South Loop, it's almost surreal.

I noticed that the final high-rise slum on 37th is in the process of being gutted and ripped down as well. It's hard to believe that awful wall of public housing that stuck out so badly across the highway will be completely gone after all those years.

Wish I had my camera handy or I woulda snapped some pictures...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Its comin along. I wish that last high rise would come down already, but they are making progress. I'm looking forward to the new police station on 31st and Halsted as well. Should be really nice. They havent broke ground yet, but theres a big picture out there showing what it will look like.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I have a client who is buying one of those townhomes at 35th and State. I'm very jealous of the floor plan and location. They have skyrocketed in value since he did the contract nearly two years ago.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

I drove through the area on the way home from work Friday..

Are they tearing down the apartments directly south of the ballpark (west of Dan Ryan from 36th to 39th?)..they looked vacated and some looked as if they were being torn down? Are there plans for that area too?

As nice as it is too see the new development..what about the people who live in those apartments? It doesn't seem right to me to just tell them to leave...(unless they were pretty empty to begin with)..
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1972 View Post
I drove through the area on the way home from work Friday..

Are they tearing down the apartments directly south of the ballpark (west of Dan Ryan from 36th to 39th?)..they looked vacated and some looked as if they were being torn down? Are there plans for that area too?

As nice as it is too see the new development..what about the people who live in those apartments? It doesn't seem right to me to just tell them to leave...(unless they were pretty empty to begin with)..
Your question about what happened to the people living there has been a heated political debate/argument for over 10 years beginning when the City started tearing down the high-rise CHA buildings. Let's not answer that question here to keep this thread alive.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

The low rise townhomes - Wentworth Gardens - are being renovated. A few of the buildings were torn down to ease density issues. It looks like a few months before anybody will be able to move back in though, I wish the Sox or MLB would commemorate this site, which was the location of Southside Park, the original home of the White Sox and thereafter home to Negro League baseball through about 1940.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 PM
WSI High Priest

This ran in the Sun-Times about a month ago:

http://www.suntimes.com/classifieds/...pen17j.article
Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Its comin along. I wish that last high rise would come down already, but they are making progress. I'm looking forward to the new police station on 31st and Halsted as well. Should be really nice. They havent broke ground yet, but theres a big picture out there showing what it will look like.
Is it gonna be on that vacant piece of land on the SW corner of that intersection? What will they do with the rest of those two-story poorly-kept things that look like townhomes? I'd hope those would go down in favor of nicer looking housing.

24 Other Games I have (all season tickets):
10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/1 @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 3/30 vs. Los Angeles, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
Is it gonna be on that vacant piece of land on the SW corner of that intersection? What will they do with the rest of those two-story poorly-kept things that look like townhomes? I'd hope those would go down in favor of nicer looking housing.
Yep, SW corner of 31st and Halsted. They have the lot further south (32nd and Halsted) fenced off as well, so I assume they may have the rights to that one and may use it for parking possibly. Just my guess, though. Those homes you are speaking of are all being rehabbed. There is construction all over that little complex. Its hard to tell yet if they are giving those homes a small facelift or major changes.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I think people are going to be shocked when they get off the Red Line on Opening Day and see how nice that area has become and just how different it is going to look.
Fixed it for you.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Fixed it for you.
Actually since the Green Line runs closer to State Street, and given how many fans may take it as an alternative to avoid the construction mess on the Red Line, I believe the original post is correct.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
I did mean the Green Line, but I guess Red Line riders could look East and notice the dramatic change as well.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
Well it says you live in Lombard, so we'll let the CTA transgression pass.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
What will they do with the rest of those two-story poorly-kept things that look like townhomes?
For all intents and purposes, that is the same as Wentworth Gardens (discussed earlier in the thread).

The police station is still up in the air. The city intends to demolish much of that stretch of Halsted for future development. In the past, they needed to attach some type of public facility (like a police station) to the taking. That's no longer the case, so it should be really interesting in the coming years.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

They tore down the smoke stack that was in front of the last building between Friday night and Saturday night.