Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Default Thanks Phil, lovely recap of Vazquez deal AGAIN!!!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....=cs-columnists

At least he got some shots in on the Yankees, that was the highlight of the article for me.

If only we had Aaron Rowand, Vizcaino, El Duque and Chris Young, we would have threatened 120 victories.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like that he mentioned that the Red Sox still haven't announced the J.D. Drew deal.

Specifically that the tango between J.D. Drew & the Red Sox is about to become a big story.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulfield12 View Post
If only we had Aaron Rowand, Vizcaino, El Duque and Chris Young, we would have threatened 120 victories.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 AM
WSI Regular

Location: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK & UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS URBANA CHAMPAIGN
What a complete idiot, mr. rogers is. First off on the white sox front, Luis Vizcaino while good is not the difference between the whitesox winning 6 more gamea last year to make the playoffs. Also as good as chris young looks who's to say he would peform well in his rookie year; Phil rogers also seems to forget brian anderson is not the reason the whitesox didnt make the playoffs last year. What about the fact that el duque put up something like a 5 e.r.a. with the white sox in 2005, how is that an upgrade over vazquez?

Now on the yankee front, cashman offered alot of money pettite. Cashman offered more than the astros, andy's wife wanted him to go to houston. El duque has shown to be somewhat of a fragile pitcher, letting him go was not that big of a deal, and furthermore the acquisition of RANDY JOHNSON, gary sheffield and most of the overpaid veteran on the yankees was a result of tampa and george steinbrenner. Now that cashman has full reign, does he not see that he's employing the philosopy (acquiring young talent) that gene michaels employed as well as bob watson.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:58 AM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
You want to know why the Yankees haven't won the World Series since 2001?
It's been a year longer than that for their "drought."

States Visited: 41
Next Up: North Dakota in May
Old 01-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
thanks for pointing that out
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

Ummmm...I didn't think there was an actual need to put that in teal.

The word would be facetious.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The word would be facetious.

"Facetious... That's the $50 word."
And I could fly above beyond the forest
And join all the eagles, join my swift companions.

******* Epic Poems

Old 01-07-2007, 08:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sorry, but I can't get terribly worked up over this. There have been plenty of people on WSI who have expressed similar desires that we could take back the trade with Arizona -- mainly because of the inconsistency of Vazquez and promise of Chris Young. Rogers makes interesting comments -- some complimentary toward the Sox, some opposed. When he came on this board a week ago or so, he sure didn't sound like someone on a mission to trash the Sox.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquaye149 View Post
thanks for pointing that out
There are many people on this site who seem to think that is true. Besides Rowand being the "heart and soul" and best defensive CF ever, Chris Young would have come up at midseason and hit .400, and El Duque would have given us 30 starts (and 20 wins) in 06. I didn't know if Caulfield was one of those clowns or making fun of them. But thanks for the insightful contribution.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....=cs-columnists

At least he got some shots in on the Yankees, that was the highlight of the article for me.

Phil did not mention the Aaron Rowand/Jim Thome trade in his column, nor did he ever say that the Sox would have won 120 games last year.

You seem to have missed his underlying point, which was actually a compliment towards what Kenny Williams has done this year. His point was that teams trying to sell veteran pitchers often times do very well for themselves in what they get in return; likewise, teams who pick up veteran pitchers generally don't get as high of a performance return based on what they gave up.

Whether or not you like what he says, he has a valid argument. If you take Vazquez off the '06 squad and replace him with El Duque/McCarthy in the 5th spot, Chris Young as a possible CF midseason replacement for Anderson, and put Vizcaino in the pen in lieu of Montero/Riske/etc, the Sox may have been 4 to 5 games better in '06. That may or may not have been enough to win the division.

His analogy was that picking up Vazquez didn't significantly improve the team, just as the Yankees didn't significantly improve after acquiring Randy Johnson two years ago.

He ended his column with the statement that the Phillies may not get the expected production out of Garcia (like the Sox expected out of Vazquez), and maybe Gio and Floyd will turn out to be very good acquisitions.

I wasn't offended by the piece as so many other people were, and I didn't see any implied or subtle Sox bashing. I don't always agree with Rogers, but he seems to write fairly well-thought-out columns.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are many people on this site who seem to think that is true. Besides Rowand being the "heart and soul" and best defensive CF ever, Chris Young would have come up at midseason and hit .400, and El Duque would have given us 30 starts (and 20 wins) in 06. I didn't know if Caulfield was one of those clowns or making fun of them. But thanks for the insightful contribution.
Which would be absolutely ridiculous.

Hernandez - 162 1/3 IP, 4.66 ERA, 1.33 WHIP - with over 2/3 of his starts for the Mets with their highly advantageous pitchers park (as well as the rest of the division) and all of his starts were in the horse**** NL.

Young - 30 Games, .243 BA, 2 HR, 2 SB

Rowand - 109 G, .262 BA, 12 HR, 10 SB

The hated (by many) Javier Vazquez had 40 more IP in the much tough AL, had a similar ERA which would have been much lower if so many inherited runners didn't score on him (his ERC was 4.02). Rowand is a separate deal and nobody can claim Thome wasn't worth the price, credibly at least (well unless they would have "known" Frank Thomas would be able to play more than the 54 games he averaged the previous two seasons and Thome's LHB would remain a very important addition to our heavy RHB lineup).

SSHM - FOJV since 1998.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
You had me till that last sentence.

You must be kidding me if you thought it was possible to read his post straightforwardly. I'm sick of this teal police business in this fashion. It's like the person in real life who when you say,

"God I just LOOOOVE it when people wait for five minutes at a green light."

they say

"Um, don't you mean you DON'T love it?"
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

Oddly, Vazquez makes USA Today's best 25 man roster for the price team.

Quote:
No. 5 starter
Javier Vazquez, White Sox
Vazquez emerges from a lengthy debate, which centered more on the sensibility of paying a fifth starter $12 million. As uncomfortable as that financial aspect was for most of our experts, it became apparent Vazquez had the best credentials after a dozen or so other names were floated. Plus, if we're trying to make this team as realistic as possible, some veteran influence wouldn't hurt the rest of our staff.
Hardly anyone on the panel expected Vazquez to survive later roster changes to meet our payroll limit, but he did, thanks mostly to the bargain nature of the rest of the staff. Vazquez's salary was more than $1.5 million more than the rest of the rotation combined.
The only bigger surprise to us is that Vazquez completes an all-AL rotation. In fact, only two members of our 11-man staff are from the National League, taking some of the air out of the popular theory that moving to the NL can help a pitcher.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Phil did not mention the Aaron Rowand/Jim Thome trade in his column, nor did he ever say that the Sox would have won 120 games last year.

You seem to have missed his underlying point, which was actually a compliment towards what Kenny Williams has done this year. His point was that teams trying to sell veteran pitchers often times do very well for themselves in what they get in return; likewise, teams who pick up veteran pitchers generally don't get as high of a performance return based on what they gave up.

Whether or not you like what he says, he has a valid argument. If you take Vazquez off the '06 squad and replace him with El Duque/McCarthy in the 5th spot, Chris Young as a possible CF midseason replacement for Anderson, and put Vizcaino in the pen in lieu of Montero/Riske/etc, the Sox may have been 4 to 5 games better in '06. That may or may not have been enough to win the division.

His analogy was that picking up Vazquez didn't significantly improve the team, just as the Yankees didn't significantly improve after acquiring Randy Johnson two years ago.

He ended his column with the statement that the Phillies may not get the expected production out of Garcia (like the Sox expected out of Vazquez), and maybe Gio and Floyd will turn out to be very good acquisitions.

I wasn't offended by the piece as so many other people were, and I didn't see any implied or subtle Sox bashing. I don't always agree with Rogers, but he seems to write fairly well-thought-out columns.

That's fine, I understand the argument about acquiring veteran pitching (gee, Phil...that Kenny Rogers acquisition really didn't work out for the Tigers) and I've defended KW, but no way the White Sox would have made the playoffs with Thomas, Rowand, El Duque, Vizcaino and C. Young.