White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Default Sisco Kid: Reliever or AAA starter?

"Without talking with him, I'm not sure which direction to run with him," general manager Ken Williams said. "His growth as a starter was stunted a couple of years ago. I want to hear from him where he sees himself. What we've seen is that guys have a lot more success if you put them in a position where their heart is or where they have confidence.

"If he wants to pursue starting, we may have to take a step back and afford him the opportunity to grow at Triple A. It's intriguing on both ends to think of the possibilities."

from chicagosports.com

Interesting comments. Seems that with past experiences with Schoeneweis, Cotts, Foulke, Thornton, McCarthy and now Sisco, KW is learning some valuable lessons.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox are probably better off letting him try to be a starter in AAA. He had a terrible season in the bullpen last year anyway.

Caulfield, since you're from Kansas City, can you tell us if Sisco really was that good in 2005? I've been reading Royals fans posting on other boards that Sisco really wasn't that good in 2005 and that his numbers that year were deceiving. Can you shed any light on Sisco for us? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
The Sox are probably better off letting him try to be a starter in AAA. He had a terrible season in the bullpen last year anyway.

Caulfield, since you're from Kansas City, can you tell us if Sisco really was that good in 2005? I've been reading Royals fans posting on other boards that Sisco really wasn't that good in 2005 and that his numbers that year were deceiving. Can you shed any light on Sisco for us? Thanks!
Well, with Royals' fans, it's always what have you done for me lately.

Both Affeldt and Sisco turned out to be disappointments, and there were high hopes for both pitchers. I like Sisco, but he's certainly not as smooth and polished as Thornton.

Pitchers that throw across their body don't look pretty sometimes, but he has very good (not GREAT) stuff and I think he will be an asset. At times, he looked a little stiff and too "upright," (like Rauch), but I think they can work with him on his delivery and explosion coming off the mound.

I wouldn't say he was any luckier in 05 than he was unlucky in 06.

The way I look at is I would rather have Sisco as a starter/reliever THAN Cotts at this point, Gload was superfluous, we also got Aardsma and we can improve the bench by adding an outfielder that can actually play the outfield.

Not to mention we've ditched two 30 year olds for three early 20's pitchers.

KW is doing a great job of building a younger but equally (or perhaps better) talented team that is going to be able to compete in 07 but also 08, 09 and 10.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Banned

I wasn't too excited about this trade, until I listened to the KW conference call. He seems to really see something in Sisco and claims that the mechanical issues that caused his 2006 struggles are being worked out in the Mexican winter league... and that Cooper agrees...

listen to it here...

Also noted in the conference call is that the Sox would announce another smaller "peripheral type" move before the end of the day. As he put it "The public won't think it's a big move but it'll help the ballclub."

God I hope its not Sandy Alomar...
Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJRFan View Post
Also noted in the conference call is that the Sox would announce another smaller "peripheral type" move before the end of the day. As he put it "The public won't think it's a big move but it'll help the ballclub."

God I hope its not Sandy Alomar...
Funny you say that...it was Sandy Alomar in an odd way. It was that signing Toby Hall means we have seen the end of Sandy Alomar!

I like the Sisco move. Pen or Starter - either way - Gload was likely to do very little for us.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulfield12 View Post
Not to mention we've ditched two 30 year olds for three early 20's pitchers.

KW is doing a great job of building a younger and potentially better team that may be able to compete in 07 but also 08, 09 and 10.
Fixed it for ya. We've acquired a few guys with a lot of upside, but they also currently suck. See the Kid, Sisco and Floyd, Gavin.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
Fixed it for ya. We've acquired a few guys with a lot of upside, but they also currently suck. See the Kid, Sisco and Floyd, Gavin.
I can't wait till Rhodes blows chunks a la Politte 06 and you start crying for KW to acquire another mediocre reliever over 30 with a track record!

Old 12-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodiggity59 View Post
I can't wait till Rhodes blows chunks a la Politte 06 and you start crying for KW to acquire another mediocre reliever over 30 with a track record!

Better than waiting for Floyd to blow chunks and then trading Broadway to fill a hole in the 'pen. I'd rather blow $3M than trade a top prospect.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Better than waiting for Floyd to blow chunks and then trading Broadway to fill a hole in the 'pen. I'd rather blow $3M than trade a top prospect.

Except KW has a great record of identifying the prospects who wouldn't be of much assistance to the big league ballclub...

I don't see giving away Broadway for a middle reliever happening any time soon.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Champagne, every time I check WSI you're whining about something else. If you're so smart why aren't you the GM of a World Champion baseball team?

Seriously, think before you spew the **** you do.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulfield12 View Post
Except KW has a great record of identifying the prospects who wouldn't be of much assistance to the big league ballclub...

I don't see giving away Broadway for a middle reliever happening any time soon.
I didn't see Lumsden going away to fill a hole last season either. Our 4-6 is a complete roll of the dice. I'd rather have a couple of guys who have done it rather than throwing darts at a board. Let all those guys with nice arms, potential and a lot of upside fight for the last spot in the 'pen instead of counting on them to fill half of it.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

If KW can get a couple more decent arms for the bullpen, I'd like to see Sisco in AAA with Floyd, Gio, and Haeger.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003 View Post
Champagne, every time I check WSI you're whining about something else. If you're so smart why aren't you the GM of a World Champion baseball team?

Seriously, think before you spew the **** you do.
I forgot, KW was the GM when we won the 2005 World Series. He has a free pass forever.

I don't see the "whining". I was all for trading Garcia. I think KW could've held out for better than Gio and a Lotto ticket. Whatever, maybe we can turn him around, but don't count on Floyd as a major piece of the bullpen. Same with Sisco. I think it's a good trade, but don't count on him as a major piece of our bullpen.

It's great to have guys with a ton of upside, but you need some people who you can fall back on if the upside doesn't come through and they continue to suck.

I'm not saying to sign Pierre as insurance for $40M, I'm saying sign Riske and Rhodes for $5-7M combined (with one of those guys being over 2 years) and let all the potential battle it out for the last spot in the 'pen.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I forgot, KW was the GM when we won the 2005 World Series. He has a free pass forever.

I don't see the "whining". I was all for trading Garcia. I think KW could've held out for better than Gio and a Lotto ticket. Whatever, maybe we can turn him around, but don't count on Floyd as a major piece of the bullpen. Same with Sisco. I think it's a good trade, but don't count on him as a major piece of our bullpen.

It's great to have guys with a ton of upside, but you need some people who you can fall back on if the upside doesn't come through and they continue to suck.

I'm not saying to sign Pierre as insurance for $40M, I'm saying sign Riske and Rhodes for $5-7M combined (with one of those guys being over 2 years) and let all the potential battle it out for the last spot in the 'pen.
Given Rhodes' numbers over the last few years, I don't know how you can possibly say you would be able to count on him. He's a huge risk and is 37 years old.

Riske has the numbers over the last few years. And I was a fan of getting him last year. But I was completely umimpressed with him out of the bullpen in the 2nd half.

I just do not see either of those guys as compelling enough to warrant several million dollars and multi-year committments.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsox7 View Post
Given Rhodes' numbers over the last few years, I don't know how you can possibly say you would be able to count on him. He's a huge risk and is 37 years old.

Riske has the numbers over the last few years. And I was a fan of getting him last year. But I was completely umimpressed with him out of the bullpen in the 2nd half.

I just do not see either of those guys as compelling enough to warrant several million dollars and multi-year committments.
I would agree that it's not worth several million dollars and multi-year agreements. It looks like Rhodes would only require a 1 year deal and Riske 2 years, at tops.

No, neither are lights out, but a much better chance of pitching decent than Floyd or Sisco. Yeah, it's not my money, but having Riske and Rhodes as first options for a $5M gamble is better than Floyd/Sisco. What happens if Floyd and Sisco continue to suck? I don't want to trade Broadway to fill a spot. We traded a potential starter in '08 or '09 for Macdougal. I like Macdougal and liked extending him (injury history and all), but we cannot continue to plug holes with our future.