Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

Default Charlie Haeger:the next Wakefield?

I don't know about you guys, but when Charlie Haeger came back for the fall call-ups, i was super impressed with him. Considering the fact that he was basically better than anyone on our staff at the time (besides Garcia, who went on a hot streak), he really impressed me. I really hope he pitches for us soon, and that we keep this kid. Anyone else agree or would like to add to this?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
"The bears are what we thought they were, who we, what we thought they were.....Now, if you wanna crown them, then crown their ass....And we let 'em off the hook!"
Old 10-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Icon10

thank's
Old 10-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Banned

Wakefield is pretty average in my book, I think Haeger's ceiling is higher.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Both Wakefield and Charlie Hough who saw him when the Sox were in Anahiem said he is fantastic.

Good enough for me. Just don't use him in dry air conditions. I saw him in one of the last games of the season when he pitched bother sides of a rain delay and that moist air had his ball dancing more the Fred Astaire. I was sitting right by Home, so I had a good look at his pitches.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaerulez View Post
Wakefield is pretty average in my book, I think Haeger's ceiling is higher.
Yeah, but when Wakefield first came up, he was pretty damn good. He was 8-1 with a 3.44 as a rookie and in 1995 he was 16-8 with a 2.95. I hope Chuck can get close to that.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:24 PM
WSI Prelate

He looked awesome in some outings, and got pounded in others. That's typical of a knuckleballer. I hope he can be our long guy next year.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

AJ needs to get some practice in with him. If he's going to be in our bullpen, then our catcher needs to be able to catch the ball.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

Would that excite you if he was ?

Has Wakefield had a better career than Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland or Vazquez ?

Wakefield is ok but I could only get excited about Haeger if he were better than that.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Sox Randy View Post
Would that excite you if he was ?

Has Wakefield had a better career than Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland or Vazquez ?

Wakefield is ok but I could only get excited about Haeger if he were better than that.

First off, he doesn't have to have had a better career than those guys to be great. Those are some great pitchers there.

Second, Wake has a 4.30 ERA in a 14 year career, most of it in Boston, a very hitter friendly park. He's durable and dependable.

Yes, I'd love to have a Tim Wakefield on my roster for 10 years. 7 seasons he had a 4.25 or less ERA. I'd take that in the middle/back end of my rotation at least for a low price for 3-6 years. Wouldn't you?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

Having a good knuckleballer on your staff provides several advantages.

1) Facing a knuckleballer one day and a flameballer the next really disrupts any hitter's timing. While hopefully Haeger will win his game for us, he will also help win the next game in the rotation for us as well.

2) During every season, each team gets in some tight pitching spots, a forced doubleheader, twenty games without a day off, hour and a half rain delay, etc. Knuckleballers generally don't care about any of that stuff. Wilbur Wood started both games of doubleheaders occasionaly.

3) Knuckleballers tend to give the bullpen a lot of rest. They can go out there and keep you in a game for eight or nine innings.

All of these tend to make knuckleballers a little vulnerable to higher ERAs and not quite as good records. Knuckleballer generally hate domes as well.

I expect Haeger will be on the major league roster next year.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Does anyone know of any pitchers that ever used a knuckleball in their regular repetoire? Like a regular pitcher who has a fastball, curve, etc. but also threw a knuckle. How come that doesn't happen more often? Can you imagine a dude with a decent knuckler who could then throw 94 on the next pitch...
Old 10-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyspun View Post
Does anyone know of any pitchers that ever used a knuckleball in their regular repetoire? Like a regular pitcher who has a fastball, curve, etc. but also threw a knuckle. How come that doesn't happen more often? Can you imagine a dude with a decent knuckler who could then throw 94 on the next pitch...
I can't imagine a pitcher like that. Most guys who learn the knuckleball were washouts in the minors, good, typically smart guys who knew the art of pitching but couldn't bring a 94 mph heater. Then they met someone, at a bar or in the dugout after getting rocked, who says "Ever consider throwing a knuckleball?" It typically takes four or five years after that day for them to get to the majors for anything longer than a cup of coffee.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:13 PM
INSox56

I also think his ceiling is higher than wakefield's. Wakefield doesn't throw all that hard when he has to pitch a fastball. Haeger's fastball is in the high 80s if I remember right, so that's much more of a difference in pitch speed than Wakefield's got.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm View Post
Knuckleballer generally hate domes as well.
Can you explain this in a bit more detail? Does the faster play on grounders hurt them more? Or is it the lack of wind and different air pressure? Or a combination of both?

I'd love for Haeger to be in the bullpen as the long man in 2007.

If the starter gets rocked, bring in Haeger. He might also get rocked, in which case you bring in someone else. But more often than not he will succeed and could pitch a bunch of innings. The best part is, he could come back the next day and do it all over again. This really would help out the rest of the bullpen.

This is an honest question: do we think Ozzie would know how to utilize Haeger out of the pen? Would Ozzie leave him in for long stretches (provided he's effective)? Or would he slavishly micromanage Haeger for lefty/lefty and righty/righty matchups like he does with the rest of the pen?

One last question tangential to Haeger: has there ever been an effective left-handed kncukleballer in the majors?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.