White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default Red Sox screw up High A team

The Red Sox got caught flatfooted when Wilmington in the Carolina League decided to sign with the Royals. There was only one other High A slot available and the Red Sox are forced to go to Lancaster, California.

Not a place an east coast team wants to be
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2006, 02:48 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,097
Default

In the middle of the desert...yikes. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...06781&t=h&om=1

Not a place anyone wants to be.

Not far from beautiful Bakersfield!
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.

Last edited by DSpivack; 10-14-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
In the middle of the desert...yikes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...9,1.73584&om=1

Not a place anyone wants to be.

Not far from beautiful Bakersfield!
probably why Lancaster was available
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2006, 03:01 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway View Post
probably why Lancaster was available
California my favorite state. I've never been to Lancaster, but I do have relatives in Fresno! Still can't fathom why 600,000 people live in a such a dump.

EDIT: Just looked online, the Fresno area has over one million people.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 AM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
California my favorite state. I've never been to Lancaster, but I do have relatives in Fresno! Still can't fathom why 600,000 people live in a such a dump.
I never HEARD of Lancaster until the Red Sox wound up there

Funniest part of the story is the Wilmington owner wanted Kansas City over Boston because he wants to win
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2006, 03:09 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway View Post
I never HEARD of Lancaster until the Red Sox wound up there

Funniest part of the story is the Wilmington owner wanted Kansas City over Boston because he wants to win
Hahaha. How is that possible? I guess he figures the Royals big club sucks, so they should get good drafts and thus good prospects?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Hahaha. How is that possible? I guess he figures the Royals big club sucks, so they should get good drafts and thus good prospects?
ya pretty much this press release says it all
http://www.bluerocks.com/cgi-bin/dis...?id=1158779181

Wilmington was a great fit for Boston being only 350 miles away.....now they in the middle of nowhere
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM
SABRSox SABRSox is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Orland Park, IL
Posts: 3,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway View Post
ya pretty much this press release says it all
http://www.bluerocks.com/cgi-bin/dis...?id=1158779181

Wilmington was a great fit for Boston being only 350 miles away.....now they in the middle of nowhere
Lancaster isn't that far out of Los Angeles. It is next to Edwards Air Force Base.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2006, 09:38 PM
StillMissOzzie StillMissOzzie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 5,420
Default

My nephew is a prospect in the Red Sox organization, and he just got called up to the Blue Rocks from their low-A team, the Greenville Drive, for the last few games of the 2006 season. I just learned from my brother, who live in Virginia, that he'll be reporting to this team for next year.

SMO
__________________
2014 tally: x 2, x 1
COTC Record: 1 - 1 (lifetime)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2006, 01:52 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRSox View Post
Lancaster isn't that far out of Los Angeles. It is next to Edwards Air Force Base.
Well, it's closer to LA than any major city, but I'd be it's still 3 hours or so from there, no?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2006, 02:55 AM
SABRSox SABRSox is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Orland Park, IL
Posts: 3,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Well, it's closer to LA than any major city, but I'd be it's still 3 hours or so from there, no?
It depends on traffic, but anywhere between 1 and 2 hours. It's similar to the distance from Kankakee to Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 PM
MUsoxfan MUsoxfan is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 9,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway View Post
The Red Sox got caught flatfooted when Wilmington in the Carolina League decided to sign with the Royals. There was only one other High A slot available and the Red Sox are forced to go to Lancaster, California.

Not a place an east coast team wants to be

Welcome to the world of the White Sox...well, somewhat The Red Sox have affiliates in Pawtucket, RI; Portland, ME....and now something out in CA

The White Sox have:

Charlotte, NC
Birmingham, AL
Winston-Salem, NC
Kannapolis, NC
Bristol, TN
Great Falls, MT

Our closest affiliate (Bristol) is 652 miles away from Chicago. Boston has at least two within 107 miles.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM
gbergman gbergman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2055 miles southwest of alsip
Posts: 1,907
Default

Boo, I don't want any Red Sox crap polluting the great state of California.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.