Soxogram: 
Happy Spring Training, Sox Fans!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Talking about Freddys brush with making history

So, there has been a lot of criticism going around lately about Hawk mentioning Freddy's possible no-hitter on the air before he actually completed it. Obviously, fans/critics are upset because they believe Hawk jinxed it and thus, Freddy threw a one-hitter instead.

I am curious, what do you all think about this? Do you think it was okay for Hawk to mention this on the air going into the 8th inning? Or do you think Hawk is the reason Freddy had a brush with making history, but didn't quite get there?

My personal opinion is that it's fine for an announcer or even a fan to mention a no-hitter when it looks like itís close to actually happening. Part of this is because I am not one to believe in superstitions like this. Also, I feel that as long as the pitcher doesn't actually hear the conversations about the no-hitter, it's okay. If the pitcher hears talk about it then, yes, it would probably make him nervous and he might actually screw it up. Of course, I'm sure from even the 5th or 6th inning on, Freddy was thinking about pitching a no-hitter and of course became more anxious than he would in any other game, but as long as his teammates or people within earshot don't put further pressure on him, it's okay. I also feel that by Hawk mentioning it and possibly talking about it, it draws more attention in from fans who are watching it on TV. It's fun to talk about it if you're not someone who's actually participating in it because you can share the excitement with the people around you.

So, anyway, what do you all think about this?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Holy Christ...

Hawk had nothing to do with it. Farmio had nothing to do with it. I had nothing to do with it when I was laying on my couch. Nobody had anything to do with it except for Freddy and that scrappy Adam Kennedy.

There's no such thing as a jinx

Old 09-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle72 View Post
So, there has been a lot of criticism going around lately about Hawk mentioning Freddy's possible no-hitter on the air before he actually completed it. Obviously, fans/critics are upset because they believe Hawk jinxed it and thus, Freddy threw a one-hitter instead.

I am curious, what do you all think about this? Do you think it was okay for Hawk to mention this on the air going into the 8th inning? Or do you think Hawk is the reason Freddy had a brush with making history, but didn't quite get there?

My personal opinion is that it's fine for an announcer or even a fan to mention a no-hitter when it looks like itís close to actually happening. Part of this is because I am not one to believe in superstitions like this. Also, I feel that as long as the pitcher doesn't actually hear the conversations about the no-hitter, it's okay. If the pitcher hears talk about it then, yes, it would probably make him nervous and he might actually screw it up. Of course, I'm sure from even the 5th or 6th inning on, Freddy was thinking about pitching a no-hitter and of course became more anxious than he would in any other game, but as long as his teammates or people within earshot don't put further pressure on him, it's okay. I also feel that by Hawk mentioning it and possibly talking about it, it draws more attention in from fans who are watching it on TV. It's fun to talk about it if you're not someone who's actually participating in it because you can share the excitement with the people around you.

So, anyway, what do you all think about this?
Kass has an awesome article about this in the Trib today.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

What's next ? Maybe Freddy stepped on the third base chalk line walking out to the mound in the 8th ? Meaningless.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

Sometimes "baseball people" and their inane superstitions are the biggest poopypants whiners on the planet.

Get over it, I say. Freddy couldn't hear Hawk to save his life.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Kass has an awesome article about this in the Trib today.
That's actually where I got the idea for this tread from. Do you think the Trib might post it online anytime soon? I was trying to find it online, but couldn't.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 PM
WSI Personality

I don't like to mention it because everytime I have called a brother or father (or vice versa) to let him know So-and-So is pitcing a no hitter or perfect game they always give it up right after. But John Kass has a great article about this on the Tribune's website. He mentions that Vin Scully said the words "perfect game" twice during Sandy Kofax' perfect game and that he would wait to see if Moronatti would claim that Scully doesn't know a thing about baseball either. I guess just knowing that Moronatti has the same opinion as me is enough to make me change my mind so now I agree with you on this, Myrtle.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hawk did not affect the outcome of the ball game in any way, shape, or form. Anyone who believes otherwise has problems.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
But John Kass has a great article about this on the Tribune's website.
Can you post the link?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobes View Post
Hawk did not affect the outcome of the ball game in any way, shape, or form. Anyone who believes otherwise has problems.
Or Hawk has telepathic powers.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle72 View Post
Can you post the link?

It's on the front page of chicagotribune.com.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeses_h_rice View Post
ha. Thanks. I swear, it wasn't there earlier when I was looking for it...

I'm not crazy!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
WSI Personality

Post shhhhhhh no - no

I don't believe in superstitions. But doesn't Hawk have to be IN the dugout in order to jinx it? Freddie G went 3-2 against that pesky **** Kennedy and he prevailed. I was hoping it would stay in the air so BriAn could get it. It didn't and he couldn't. 2 years in a row Freddie G almost got a no-no.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo-B-flo View Post
2 years in a row Freddie G almost got a no-no.
'06 was alot better than '05. Damn that Jacque Jones
Old 09-15-2006, 05:54 PM
WSI Regular

If not Hawk then the scoreboard would have jinxed Freddy.

god i cant belive anyone even noticed what moronotti wrote. why would anyone even read him? Hes really just slinging mud at this point. He really is pathetic. When this whole thing started with Hawk I went on line and read the mariotti columns. I felt like such a dope because then I realized thats what it was all about.

I think the whole point of jinxes is for everyone else to try to get involved in a rare event. Its fun to play along. Some people though take things too seriously or just use little things like this to prove a completely unrelated point.

I hate people who make their living by spewing negativity.