White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default This is why you should behave in other ballparks

So, there I was at the Buerhle/Tigers game, surrounded by numerous Tiger fans. All but one Tiger fan was nice, meaning they minded their own business and were there to watch the game. However, this one guy who was two rows directly in front of me got on all our nerves right away (even the Tiger fans' nerves). In the 1st inning, this guy would give the Tigers a standing ovation every time Buehrle threw a ball and every time a White Sox batter got out. After the inning ended, he started yelling at us "Seven and a half!" over and over. I responded that routine fly balls do not earn a standing O to the chuckles of White Sox and Tiger fans alike. He kept up the homer attitude as the game wore on.

When Konerko broke up Rogers' perfect game bid, Mr. Tiger started to pout and look sad. I proclaimed he was going to cry. He re-grouped and kept up his attitude. A Tiger fan in front of me at one point looked at me like I was going to say something to him and I told him he was ok because he knew when to cheer for his team and he was not making anyone angry.

Well, when Jenks got the final out and Mr. Tiger looked like his life was over, I decided it was payback time for 2 hours of his garbage. He slumped in his seat, head forward in his hands and I leaned over his back and started yelling (all clean language, there were young ears present):
"Chokers! The Tigers are chokers! Three errors! You call that playoff caliber baseball? Just like the Red Wings, a bunch of chokers! How about those Red Wings? How well did they do? The Red Wings did better than the Tiger will do this year! Six and half! You hear me?! It was ten two days ago! Choke job!"

His friends just sat there looking at him in his misery and did not intervene.

This is why you should not be a homer in another ballpark (except the Urinal) until your team has won the game.

At one point late in the game Thome was at bat and while the Sox fans around me were yelling for a home run I yelled for Thome to first hit a foul ball to Section 112, Row 16, Seat 3 (Mr. Tiger's seat). Mr. Tiger's friends got a good laugh over that one.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:46 AM
WSI Personality

I have to travel alot for work, but just about NEVER does it coincide w/ the Sox, so I really cant say be an extreme follower of our team on the road claimer, but I have caught them a few times away. I would have to say, you would have to have a screw or 2 loose though, to walk into a strange ball park, and start talkin' smack. The couple times I did go, I except for obvious cheering situations, kept my mouth shut. I cant imagine being that ignorant. I can hold my own so to speak, but who wants to have like 50 guys work ya after the game. Glad ya got in his face after the game. !!!! I think we've all seen the idiot in the parking lot takin on 30,000 fans after the game get his head kicked in. What are they thinkin'????!!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

First of all, I wonder if Mr. Tigers Fan was actually one of those Cubs fans who buys whatever cap or jersey belongs to the team he has Sox tickets for because he can't afford to buy tickets scalped by the Tribune Co. I could have sworn there were several of those mixed in with the Yankees fans I saw at the game the other night.

Second, you really do have to know how to behave at the opposition ball park. Rule #1 is don't make an ass of yourself. Keep your mouth shut. You might even have a few of the locals ask you what you think of your team's chances, how individual players are doing, etc. In other words, you might meet some real baseball fans.

It also helps to keep our mouth shut in certain locations. My son and a friend of his went to Yankee Stadium a year or two ago and had bleacher seats right among the group that has some nickname that implies that they're not going to be the friendliest people on the outside. They kept their mouths shut and had absolutely NO problems. (That might have had something to do with the fact that there were some guys wearing Mets gear in the same section, too. I guess there are Mets fans who are as stupid as Cubs fans and go to the other ballpark like that for whatever moronic reason when their team isn't playing there.)
Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

They are all coming out of the woodwork this year thats for sure. I think in my years of going to Comiskey, I have seen about 10 Tiger fans. Since they are having a great year though, they are out in droves.

I had one annoying fan in my section. Everytime Buehrle would do something bad, he would lay into him. A shot down the line from Crede, he would yell "Hey Crede, you got nothin on Inge!"

But when the Sox came back and eventually took the lead, he had nothing to say.

Also leaving, after being beat, Tiger fans still couldnt keep their mouths shut.

I heard these witty responses when leaving the park
  • 6 1/2 up!
  • Chicago Pizza Sucks
  • Bears suck
  • Go back to your trailers (in which I responded, "Wait, where do you live, oh yeah, DETROIT!)
Should be a intresting afternoon today.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum
First of all, I wonder if Mr. Tigers Fan was actually one of those Cubs fans who buys whatever cap or jersey belongs to the team he has Sox tickets for because he can't afford to buy tickets scalped by the Tribune Co. I could have sworn there were several of those mixed in with the Yankees fans I saw at the game the other night.

Second, you really do have to know how to behave at the opposition ball park. Rule #1 is don't make an ass of yourself. Keep your mouth shut. You might even have a few of the locals ask you what you think of your team's chances, how individual players are doing, etc. In other words, you might meet some real baseball fans.

It also helps to keep our mouth shut in certain locations. My son and a friend of his went to Yankee Stadium a year or two ago and had bleacher seats right among the group that has some nickname that implies that they're not going to be the friendliest people on the outside. They kept their mouths shut and had absolutely NO problems. (That might have had something to do with the fact that there were some guys wearing Mets gear in the same section, too. I guess there are Mets fans who are as stupid as Cubs fans and go to the other ballpark like that for whatever moronic reason when their team isn't playing there.)
I was at Yankee stadium this year, and cheered for the Sox for two games...not making an ass of myself. And, for the most part, the Yankee fans were reasonable towards us. I could not imagine going in there and talking all sorts of crap towards the Yankee's and their fans....it's just disrespectful to be a jerk in another team's ballpark. I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for your team when they do well....just don;t taunt the opposing fans in their own stadium. Your looking for an ass whoppin'!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

[quote=SoxFan78]They are all coming out of the woodwork this year thats for sure. I think in my years of going to Comiskey, I have seen about 10 Tiger fans. Since they are having a great year though, they are out in droves.

I disagree. There have always been lots of Tigers fans at Sox games -- especially for weekend series. The Tiger fans in my section (149) yesterday were all well behaved. Nothing like the Yankees fans. How can we blame them for being excited? They are (were?) having a terrific season.

274-237.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornLabrum

I considered the possibility he was a Flub fan, but his Tiger gear was a bit too worn to be brand new. Also his passion was too intense-the Flub fans whom I saw with Yankee stuff on did not have total passion for the Yanks. with this being a weekend series, I'm sure a ton of Detroit people made teh short drive to see their heros.

I made three road trips this year: Cincy, Baltimore and the Urinal. With the exception of The Urinal, I was polite. In Cincy I was sitting by myself next to their version of the Scout Seats among seasn ticket holders. When Crede hit his granny in the 1st, I jumped up yelled my approval to Joe and then sat down. In Baltimore, my friends and I cheered during the exciting moments for a bit and then sat down except with Gload hit his granny-we did go nuts.

At The Urinal, I did not give darn about the feelings of the drunks jerks around me (season ticket holders behind 1st Base who were 50+ years old and acting like teenagers whose parents went away for the weekend) and let my love for the Sox show, but I cheered for the Sox, did not talk smack to the Fub fans.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Go back to your trailers
Nice. I don't live in a trailer, but I'd rather live in a trailer in Illinois that a McMansion anywhere near Detroit.

Ever see satellite pictures of Detroit? It looks like a park, huge green areas where houses used to be.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
I considered the possibility he was a Flub fan, but his Tiger gear was a bit too worn to be brand new. Also his passion was too intense-the Flub fans whom I saw with Yankee stuff on did not have total passion for the Yanks. with this being a weekend series, I'm sure a ton of Detroit people made teh short drive to see their heros.

I made three road trips this year: Cincy, Baltimore and the Urinal. With the exception of The Urinal, I was polite. In Cincy I was sitting by myself next to their version of the Scout Seats among seasn ticket holders. When Crede hit his granny in the 1st, I jumped up yelled my approval to Joe and then sat down. In Baltimore, my friends and I cheered during the exciting moments for a bit and then sat down except with Gload hit his granny-we did go nuts.

At The Urinal, I did not give darn about the feelings of the drunks jerks around me (season ticket holders behind 1st Base who were 50+ years old and acting like teenagers whose parents went away for the weekend) and let my love for the Sox show, but I cheered for the Sox, did not talk smack to the Fub fans.
Everything you did is well within the bounds of what fans in the home park would consider acceptable. One thing I can't stand, though, is Cubs fans who go to The Cell, or Sox fans who go to The Shrine for that matter, dressed up in their team's gear when their team isn't even playing there. To me that's just being an *******.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
This is why you should not be a homer in another ballpark (except the Urinal) until your team has won the game.
I would suggest, depending on where you are, it's still not a good idea to be a homer in another ballpark even AFTER your team has won the game.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Was anyone sitting in section 507 during Saturday's game? It was a Tiger fan haven. I was there, and I swear that 3/4 of the section was Tigers fans. A couple of Sox fans behind me took issue with a group of six 20-something Tigers fans who had T-I-G-E-R-S painted across their chests and were routinely leading the rallies cries of "Let's Go Tigers", "Crede Sucks", and "When I say 'Tigers' you say 'Roar'". Things got ugly, but thankfully no punches were thrown. We left at the end of the game but the Sox fans and Tigers fans involved in all the **** talking where hanging around in their seats after we left, so I don't know if anything went down we left.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

The only time I ever saw the Sox on the road was in Boston for two games, and I definitely minded my manners. You will get along better with the people around you and actually have some good baseball conversations if you're cool. No sense in making an ass of yourself.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

There are lots of Michigan transplants in the city because so many Michigan natives don't want to live/work in Detroit. I can hardly blame them.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

These liger fans are really flub fans jumping on the new sox enemy's bandwagon.
there were quite a few jndians jerseys around town backin the 90's

and of course, blow sawks(almost overnight in 2003 and 2004) and the yanks
Old 08-13-2006, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokpelts
These liger fans are really flub fans jumping on the new sox enemy's bandwagon.
there were quite a few jndians jerseys around town backin the 90's

and of course, blow sawks(almost overnight in 2003 and 2004) and the yanks
I've seen a couple of guys (who I know are lifelong Cub fans) walking around with brand new Detroit hats this summer.
Closed Thread