Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Ozzie Sends a Message, Benches Uribe

I don't think this was posted yet, so here's the story.

Ozzie didn't like the effort he has seen from Uribe lately, so he benched him for last night's game. Ozzie felt the Uribe was taking his hitting into the field with him, and was a little lax on defense. I agree with Ozzie 100%, and I think it is about damn time he calls guys out and sits them for their play on defense. He mentioned Podsednik, also. Scott has been horrrible this year in left, much worse than last year. It is probably a lack of concentration with him.
Also, Dye has been awful in right of late. He is jogging after short flies and letting them fall infront of him, he is getting bad reads, and he is lobbing balls back into the infield. I'm sure Dye is tired, and I know he has been on fire lately, but Ozzie needs to sit him down and let him know that they expect more from him on defense.

Last edited by TheOldRoman; 08-02-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

I agree with you except that you can't sit Dye if PK and Thome are out of the lineup. Ozzie has sent the message that if you get lazy, there are players behind you that are good enough to take your spot.

I think Uribe will be back in the lineup soon, but his job is obviosly not safe.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehrle4cy05
I agree with you except that you can't sit Dye if PK and Thome are out of the lineup. Ozzie has sent the message that if you get lazy, there are players behind you that are good enough to take your spot.

I think Uribe will be back in the lineup soon, but his job is obviosly not safe.
Well, I didn't necessarily say Dye should sit a game. Dye is a vet, and he is the consumate professional. I think it would be enough to sit him down and let him know that he needs to play better on defense. Ozzie doesn't need to send a message to Dye the way he did with Uribe.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman
Well, I didn't necessarily say Dye should sit a game. Dye is a vet, and he is the consumate professional. I think it would be enough to sit him down and let him know that he needs to play better on defense. Ozzie doesn't need to send a message to Dye the way he did with Uribe.
Got it. Not bench him, sit him down and talk with him.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:29 PM
WSI Personality

"It's a Venezuelan message. It means Juan Uribe sits on the benches.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

"It's a Venezuelan message. It means Juan Uribe sits on the benches.
Why the fish-shaped chair?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
WSI Guru

I saw that and was pleased Ozzie made his comments about it. I don't know what Juan's status is going to be in the future. This certainly doesn't help matters for him.

That's why in the thread posted elsewhere on who would you replace/ upgrade, I listed Uribe along with four others.

It'll be interesting to see how this proceeds in the off season and beyond. He did have a reputation as I recall in Colorado of not working hard at his craft.

Lip
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
WSI High Priest

He had a half ass throw to first on Monday, and that was probably the final straw. Cintron is a very capable player, and can fill the spot nicely.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662
He had a half ass throw to first on Monday, and that was probably the final straw. Cintron is a very capable player, and can fill the spot nicely.
Cintron can more than fill the spot nicely. I can handle Juan's streaky bat in it's down times if he keeps it up on defense, but once he starts half assing it in the field, Cintron gets to start.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

Maybe it's just me, but I think Dye may look lazy because he has those long strides and he's not all that quick. He's the best all-around player on the team and I don't think he ever gives less than 100%.

Pods, on the other hand, is lazy in left and I think he has a little bit of a problem hustling to first base.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Didn't he come up through the Marlins?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:48 PM
WSI Prelate

If we are "sitting" Dye it better be because he is tired. I don't think he needs a message sent to him. He plays the game hard every day.

Dye is giving 100 percent all the time, it just might be that he is tired and he himself isn't 100 percent right now.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Just in case you're not kidding--in a classic scene from "The Godfather," Luca Brasi's vest is delivered to the Corleone compound. When they unwrap it, inside is a fish. Someone--Sonny, I think--asks, "What the hell is that?" and someone else--Tessio, I think--says, "It's an old Sicilian message. It means that Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
I saw that and was pleased Ozzie made his comments about it. I don't know what Juan's status is going to be in the future. This certainly doesn't help matters for him.

That's why in the thread posted elsewhere on who would you replace/ upgrade, I listed Uribe along with four others.

It'll be interesting to see how this proceeds in the off season and beyond. He did have a reputation as I recall in Colorado of not working hard at his craft.

Lip
Especially considering Ozzie's quote of (verbatim) "He's taking his bat onto the field with him" effectively saying "He can't field and he can't hit"...
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman
I don't think this was posted yet, so here's the story.

Ozzie didn't like the effort he has seen from Uribe lately, so he benched him for last night's game. Ozzie felt the Uribe was taking his hitting into the field with him, and was a little lax on defense. I agree with Ozzie 100%, and I think it is about damn time he calls guys out and sits them for their play on defense. He mentioned Podsednik, also. Scott has been horrrible this year in left, much worse than last year. It is probably a lack of concentration with him.
Also, Dye has been awful in right of late. He is jogging after short flies and letting them fall infront of him, he is getting bad reads, and he is lobbing balls back into the infield. I'm sure Dye is tired, and I know he has been on fire lately, but Ozzie needs to sit him down and let him know that they expect more from him on defense.
Great move by Ozzie, I couldn't agree more. There's no excuse or reason for this, an even better defensive team than the previous year, to be performing worse than the previous year. Uribe has been the biggest villain in that area.