White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Banned

Default Angel Hernandez

Just saw this. Angel Hernandez tossed Mariano Duncan in the D-Backs/Dodgers game by brushing him off (it was almost like a poo-poo action...if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about). It wasn't the traditional toss motion, it was basically showing up Duncan. Then, Duncan throws his hat, and Hernandez picks up the hat, walks over to the stands, and gives it to a kid.

Hello? Did I miss something? The fans pay the money to see the PLAYERS, not the umpires. As an umpire, I've been told that the best umpires are the one who nobody knows their name. That's unprofessional by Hernandez, and he should be fined or demoted. What he pulled today was complete bull****.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he's the third base umpire, and tossed Duncan from the dugout.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:09 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehrle4cy05
Just saw this. Angel Hernandez tossed Mariano Duncan in the D-Backs/Dodgers game by brushing him off (it was almost like a poo-poo action...if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about). It wasn't the traditional toss motion, it was basically showing up Duncan. Then, Duncan throws his hat, and Hernandez picks up the hat, walks over to the stands, and gives it to a kid.

Hello? Did I miss something? The fans pay the money to see the PLAYERS, not the umpires. As an umpire, I've been told that the best umpires are the one who nobody knows their name. That's unprofessional by Hernandez, and he should be fined or demoted. What he pulled today was complete bull****.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he's the third base umpire, and tossed Duncan from the dugout.
Hernandez is universally recognized as the worst umpire around. He thinks he's bigger than the game.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:25 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree that that is horrible, and Hernandez should be fired. I hate bigshot umpires who want to be the center of the game. People don't pay to see them.
Possibly the umpire I hate the most if Dale Scott. He stays crouched for a second or two after the ball hits the catchers' mitt, then slowly leans back and stands, and then slowly gives the sign for a strike or not. So you have to wait 3-5 seconds after the pitch to find out if it is a strike or not. This makes me absolutely furious. It doesn't take 3 seconds to decide if it was a strike or not. To me, that is showboating. The umpire does this to draw attention to himself, and make him the star of the show. MLB needs to put a stop to this sham. The umpire is not the star, we should not be waiting on his every motion. I don't buy tickets to see Dale Scott of Angel Hernandez.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

The umpire I like best is Chuck Merriweather. I've never actually seen him, I just love that name.

Proud to be a WSIer
Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

That whole crew sucks.

Between Hernandez, Wendelstedt, and Randy Marsh you have the collective baseball IQ of a Cubs fan.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
That whole crew sucks.

Between Hernandez, Wendelstedt, and Randy Marsh you have the collective baseball IQ of a Cubs fan.
There are so many bad umpires working in baseball right now. It's sickening. Dan Iassogna is another name that comes to mind. Every game I've seen that man umpire has involved some sort of controversial call or play, and he's usually been at the heart of it.

Baseball needs an overhaul in the worst way.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Angel Hernandez is the umpire who once ejected Steve McMichael from a Cubs game, after Mongo criticized him over the PA during the 7th inning stretch. Of course, Ozzie has had his run ins with Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, the latter of whom is still revered to this day by Milt Pappas.

As for good umpires, I think Tim McClelland is a good umpire.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's
Angel Hernandez is the umpire who once ejected Steve McMichael from a Cubs game, after Mongo criticized him over the PA during the 7th inning stretch. Of course, Ozzie has had his run ins with Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, the latter of whom is still revered to this day by Milt Pappas.

Froemming has had it in for the Sox since 2003, when he ejected John Garland for nailing Eye Chart in the back during a game at the 'Cell between the Sox and Twins. This came during a week in which Frank Thomas had been hit three different times, and Magglio Ordonez was plunked on back-to-back nights. Froemming's solution was to issue warnings before the game, which no one seemed to actually know about. Hawk spent half the game complaining, sreaming, "That was BS!" over and over again.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's
McClelland has been around forever. He was involved in the George Brett pine tar incident, IIRC. Also, the Sammy Sosa corked bat. He's widely recognized as one of the best, I believe.

As for the worst, I thought I remember hearing something that the players for two years in a row about a couple years ago, voted CB Bucknor the worst umpire.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
Froemming has had it in for the Sox since 2003, when he ejected John Garland for nailing Eye Chart in the back during a game at the 'Cell between the Sox and Twins. This came during a week in which Frank Thomas had been hit three different times, and Magglio Ordonez was plunked on back-to-back nights. Froemming's solution was to issue warnings before the game, which no one seemed to actually know about. Hawk spent half the game complaining, sreaming, "That was BS!" over and over again.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan76
Mea culpa. Jon Garland it is.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
Mea culpa. Jon Garland it is.
If Jose Valentine was dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Parking Lot Attendant

Anyone see Bruce Dreckman try to be the show on Sunday? First there was an awful call on a Chipper Jones swing where he clearly did not check. Chipper even started walking back to the dugout, but the umpire said he checked. Dreckman ended up throwing out Bruce Bochy and one of his coaches. It wasn't just that he threw them out, but Dreckman was actually the aggressor.

Later in the game Dreckman said that Jeff Franceour foul tipped a ball. Franceour started walking back to the dugout but had a few words for Dreckman as he did so. Rather than let it go, Dreckman took off his mask and started walking toward Franceour while shouting back at him. He wound up throwing out both Franceour and Bobby Cox, who came out to argue for his player and threw his lineup card on the ground in disgust.

It was a very poor display of umpiring.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjav829
Anyone see Bruce Dreckman try to be the show on Sunday? First there was an awful call on a Chipper Jones swing where he clearly did not check. Chipper even started walking back to the dugout, but the umpire said he checked. Dreckman ended up throwing out Bruce Bochy and one of his coaches. It wasn't just that he threw them out, but Dreckman was actually the aggressor.

Later in the game Dreckman said that Jeff Franceour foul tipped a ball. Franceour started walking back to the dugout but had a few words for Dreckman as he did so. Rather than let it go, Dreckman took off his mask and started walking toward Franceour while shouting back at him. He wound up throwing out both Franceour and Bobby Cox, who came out to argue for his player and threw his lineup card on the ground in disgust.

It was a very poor display of umpiring.
So you're saying that as an umpire, Dreckman is dreck?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

brutal umpire list; froemming,wendelstat,culpa,runge,hernandez,iassong a,marsh,scott.

Thankfully the wendelstat crew is in LA doing the dodgers series- not in detroit. Still , holding my breath on tonites crew.