White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,773
Default Ryan Dempster

Is really bad. How the hell is this guy still the closer?
__________________

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
FarWestChicago's Avatar
FarWestChicago FarWestChicago is offline
Chief Geek - Security Guard
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 16,173
Default

And you care why?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago
And you care why?
Just a discussion about a guy who obviously has been givin the wrong job. Whats wrong with talking about another teams closer or lack there of?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
LuvSox LuvSox is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Gambling, fireworks, lifetime gun permits, cheap smokes, snipers, it's Indiana!
Posts: 6,863
Default

He got it done tonight
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
FarWestChicago's Avatar
FarWestChicago FarWestChicago is offline
Chief Geek - Security Guard
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 16,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr
Just a discussion about a guy who obviously has been givin the wrong job. Whats wrong with talking about another teams closer or lack there of?
Nice dance around the Flubsession.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:05 PM
QCIASOXFAN QCIASOXFAN is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Moline
Posts: 4,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSox
He got it done tonight
Barely, he sucks pretty bad this year though. All the Flubs fans I know can't stand the guy. He's starting to remind me of the great Billy Koch.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
santo=dorf santo=dorf is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCIASOXFAN
Barely, he sucks pretty bad this year though. All the Flubs fans I know can't stand the guy. He's starting to remind me of the great Billy Koch.
In fairness to Koch, Billy was never a horse**** starting pitcher.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
SOecks SOecks is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago-West Side
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
In fairness to Koch, Billy was never a horse**** starting pitcher.
And as we found out recently, Dempster didn't have to deal with the strange and painful disease that Billy did during his time here.
__________________
This is my dog Sammie. This is how she prepares for a champagne celebration after a White Sox victory
http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/F9/72/Er...eStuff/1/b.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCIASOXFAN
Barely, he sucks pretty bad this year though. All the Flubs fans I know can't stand the guy. He's starting to remind me of the great Billy Koch.
Koch ended up having a serious (I believe he still does) yet unknown health condition he should be given a pass.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 14,882
Blog Entries: 2
Default

He got 2 big outs tonight (also had some hard hit balls) to get the save after 1st and 3rd and 1 out.
He's an okay guy for #4 or 5 out of the pen.
I remember he was supposed to be some stud young starter...maybe 5 years or so ago.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
LuvSox LuvSox is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Gambling, fireworks, lifetime gun permits, cheap smokes, snipers, it's Indiana!
Posts: 6,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOecks
And as we found out recently, Dempster didn't have to deal with the strange and painful disease that Billy did during his time here.
From what I've heard it is psychological.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-06-2006, 04:31 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,832
Default

Dempster had some initial success closing, despite being just an average reliever. That happens a lot, and not just to the Cubs, although Joe Borowski (I think that was his name) did pretty much the same thing for that Chicago team. Dempster reminds me more of Matt Karchner than Billy Koch. Rocky Biddle went from to the Expos to be their closer and did a pretty good job the first year. The pattern has been going on as long as there have been closers. Bart Johnson looked great closing games for the Sox during one season in the 1970s.

I'm not talking about the guys who lose it in a hurry after a few years of success, although that happens too. There are probably more one-year- or half-year-wonders at closer than there are in any specialty in baseball. It's part of the reason "experts" were skeptical about the Sox and Bobby Jenks coming into this season.

You have to wonder why the Cubs keep sending Dempster out there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Ol' No. 2's Avatar
Ol' No. 2 Ol' No. 2 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bullpen Sports Bar
Posts: 11,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog
Dempster had some initial success closing, despite being just an average reliever. That happens a lot, and not just to the Cubs, although Joe Borowski (I think that was his name) did pretty much the same thing for that Chicago team. Dempster reminds me more of Matt Karchner than Billy Koch. Rocky Biddle went from to the Expos to be their closer and did a pretty good job the first year. The pattern has been going on as long as there have been closers. Bart Johnson looked great closing games for the Sox during one season in the 1970s.

I'm not talking about the guys who lose it in a hurry after a few years of success, although that happens too. There are probably more one-year- or half-year-wonders at closer than there are in any specialty in baseball. It's part of the reason "experts" were skeptical about the Sox and Bobby Jenks coming into this season.

You have to wonder why the Cubs keep sending Dempster out there.
Who's the alternative?
__________________

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2006, 09:35 AM
SOecks SOecks is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago-West Side
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
Who's the alternative?
They could always make a deal and bring LaTroy Hawkins back over from the Orioles .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
FedEx227 FedEx227 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 6,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOecks
They could always make a deal and bring LaTroy Hawkins back over from the Orioles .
Who else razzed the nearest Cub fan and/or laughed when LaTroy came in to pitch last night?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.