White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 PM
WSI Personality

Default What is a hold?

I want to know what a hold is. can anyone tell me. thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

A hold is awarded to a relief pitcher if he enters in a save situation and leaves the game without having relinquished that lead.

It is a stat that really means little but a lot of fantasy leagues use it
Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway
A hold is awarded to a relief pitcher if he enters in a save situation and leaves the game without having relinquished that lead.

Ah, ah, ah...Not so fast.

A hold is not an official stat. Therefore, it has no exact meaning. There are several different sets of criteria set forth by several different fantasy baseball providers.

That makes it a completely B.S. stat that no experienced fantasy commissioner uses. No one knows for sure what they are, because every definition is different. What fenway gave as the description is probably what the official definition should be...But again, there isn't one. MLB does not recognize the hold as anything at all.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:55 PM
WSI Personality

That's funny. Someone should tell the MLB website they have a stat listed that they don't recognize.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats
That's funny. Someone should tell the MLB website they have a stat listed that they don't recognize.
from mlb.com

Quote:
The "Hold":
The hold is not an official statistic, but it was created as a way to credit middle relief pitchers for a job well done. Starting pitchers get wins, and closers -- the relief pitchers who come in at the end of the game -- get saves, but the guys who pitch in between the two rarely get either statistic. So what's the most important thing one of these middle relievers can do? "Hold" a lead. If a reliever comes into a game to protect a lead, gets at least one out and leaves without giving up that lead, he gets a hold. But you can't get a save and a hold at the same time.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...egulations.jsp
Old 04-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
The "Hold":
The hold is not an official statistic, but it was created as a way to credit middle relief pitchers for a job well done. Starting pitchers get wins, and closers -- the relief pitchers who come in at the end of the game -- get saves, but the guys who pitch in between the two rarely get either statistic. So what's the most important thing one of these middle relievers can do? "Hold" a lead. If a reliever comes into a game to protect a lead, gets at least one out and leaves without giving up that lead, he gets a hold. But you can't get a save and a hold at the same time.

Exactly.

Note that they have a different definition than the one first posted. That definition doesn't require it to be a save situation, just a winning situation (whether it be by the save's 3 or fewer, or even 20). Just goes to show how damned confusing fantasy baseball has made the hold.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

I know the last hold I saw in person you might recall it

O Hernandez relieved D Marte.
J Varitek popped out to first.
T Graffanino popped out to shortstop
J Damon struck out swinging.

1 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors
3 men left on base

Chicago White Sox 4
Boston Red Sox 3
End 6

He doesn't get the hold in that 6th inning who knows what would have happened? Game 4 would have been played 3 or 4 days later because of heavy rains that hit the Northeast.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:44 AM
WSI Regular

that was a sweet hold....I'll say that much

"A White Sox Winner"
Old 04-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

The hold is the most worthless stat. A manager like Tony LaRussa can get 3 of them in one inning
Old 04-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
The hold is the most worthless stat. A manager like Tony LaRussa can get 3 of them in one inning
It is one of the most bogus stats in baseball and should go the way of the Game Winning RBI (kept for a few years by MLB before being rightfully placed on the scrap heap).

LaRussa is the most overrated manager in baseball.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome's Homey
Ah, ah, ah...Not so fast.

A hold is not an official stat. Therefore, it has no exact meaning. There are several different sets of criteria set forth by several different fantasy baseball providers.

That makes it a completely B.S. stat that no experienced fantasy commissioner uses. No one knows for sure what they are, because every definition is different. What fenway gave as the description is probably what the official definition should be...But again, there isn't one. MLB does not recognize the hold as anything at all.
That's fautly logic to say that it shouldn't be used in fantasy baseball. The rule of a hold stays consistent within whatever provider a league uses for a hold and can easily be looked up. So it's not like the rule of a hold at yahoo or ESPN or whatever fantasy service you use will change on a day to day basis. If holds aren't used to fantasy baseball, it makes middle relief pitchers and set up men basically worthless and at least this way this includes them in fantasy baseball.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaerulez
That's fautly logic to say that it shouldn't be used in fantasy baseball. The rule of a hold stays consistent within whatever provider a league uses for a hold and can easily be looked up. So it's not like the rule of a hold at yahoo or ESPN or whatever fantasy service you use will change on a day to day basis. If holds aren't used to fantasy baseball, it makes middle relief pitchers and set up men basically worthless and at least this way this includes them in fantasy baseball.
That is incorrect.

Take it from a fantasy guru (me). Middle relievers have EXTREME value so long as you use them correctly. People that aren't fantasy experts just don't see it. The back end of your rotation can consist of schmucks like El Duque/Greinke/Pavano/whatever schmuck is out there, or you can go with my route...The three-headed-middle-relief-monster.

EXAMPLE:
Last year, I had Scott Linebrink, Cliff Politte, and Scot Shields. For that, I got 25 wins, 225 Ks, 9 saves, and super-tiny, miniscule ERA/WHIP numbers. That's a Cy Young season. Know what I gave up for that? My final three spots in a 28-round draft. So, nothing. Most people have benchers in those rounds. I do this every year in every league, and I never have trouble finishing at or around the top.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

A hold is something that Sox pitchers can't seem to get.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome's Homey
The back end of your rotation can consist of schmucks like El Duque
hmm.. you clearly didn't watch the ALDS huh?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway

Id argue the concept of holds meaning little. Holds are a crucial "stat" cuz it shows what kind of relief u got.Id rather have a guy with 20 holds on my pen being the setup man rather than the likes of jaime navarro