White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Productive Outs

Interesting blurb on ESPN.com about productive outs in '05. Not surprisingly, our man Tadahito was first in all of baseball in terms of productive outs (i.e., sacrificing himself by moving a runner along). More interstingly was the guy tied for 6th in all of baseball in this category -- Mr. Juan Uribe. This seems to give some credence to the thought that Uribe may be able to adjust to the number 2 spot in the order.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
WSI High Priest

I love it when you analyze.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 PM
INSox56

Just read the same article. Very interesting. Guillen said something last week about this in Uribe. He said something about his productivity with runners on is much better than people think and laughed saying that it's a different story when no one's on. I think these stats illustrate that perfectly. The article also mentions he's the #2 in productive percentage in the AL. Cool stuff, makes me anxious for the season baby
Old 02-27-2006, 03:25 PM
WSI Personality

I'm sure this is available in another thread, but it is set in stone that Uribe will hit second this year, or is it just something Ozzie mentioned he'd try?

Either way, a stat like "productive outs" and the fact the Sox had two guys in the top six in the majors in that stat goes to show you that the "usual" stats don't always tell the whole story, and give more evidence as to why the Sox were able to be successful last year despite what some would perceive as a lack of solid stats.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

I can't get the link to work.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mega
I can't get the link to work.
So what your saying is that this thread is towards the bottom of the league in Productive links?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
WSI Personality

Very interesting. After reading that little blurb I feel a lot better about Uribe hitting 2nd. For some reason I see still view Juan as a some what undisciplined free swinging hitter (although it looks like he is improving that), but by those stats he looks like he would fit the two hole pretty good. As for Tadahito, I would like to see Ozzie put that bat in that guys hand, should be interesting.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Don't forget that Juan had trouble with Breaking balls, I have a feeling that he will see a lot less breaking balls with Pods on first in a lot of his At bats.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjharrison72
I'm sure this is available in another thread, but it is set in stone that Uribe will hit second this year, or is it just something Ozzie mentioned he'd try?
They've been talking about doing this all off-season. They are going to try it out in Spring Training and if it works, great. If it doesn't, we all know Ozzie is not afraid to make a change. See Takasu, Shingo.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
WSI Regular

Uribe was the king of the sac fly last year. Dunno if that translates to being a good 2 hitter, but we'll see eh?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
Don't forget that Juan had trouble with Breaking balls, I have a feeling that he will see a lot less breaking balls with Pods on first in a lot of his At bats.

Pods on 1st, and Thome/Konerko/Dye coming up after him...yeah, I see a lot of hittable fastballs. Uribe could really have a solid year in that spot.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
So what your saying is that this thread is towards the bottom of the league in Productive links?

we need a tag for "sarcastically clapping"
Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
Pods on 1st, and Thome/Konerko/Dye coming up after him...yeah, I see a lot of hittable fastballs. Uribe could really have a solid year in that spot.
Does that mean Gooch's numbers will go down significantly because he won't be getting as many fastballs?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav
Does that mean Gooch's numbers will go down significantly because he won't be getting as many fastballs?
No.
I don't believe he is as much of a fastball hitter as Uribe is, but I could be wrong. Either way, Iguchi will have Thome, Konerko and Dye hitting in front of him. Pitchers don't mess around as much when runners are on base. They will stay in the strike zone because they don't want to put another guy on base.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

So wait, Iguchi was a better #2 guy than Uribe, so therefore we should move Uribe into the #2 hole?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides