White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Welcome to playing the game the way 'big market' clubs do!
Kenny's redefining the game here. This is way above and beyond throwing money around at names, like the 'big market' clubs do. Kenny's making the yanks, scrubs and others look like chumps here. Everything's coming up MILHOUSE!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeym
Kenny's redefining the game here. This is way above and beyond throwing money around at names, like the 'big market' clubs do. Kenny's making the yanks, scrubs and others look like chumps here.
Moneyball, meet Kennyball.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman
or make him more attractive trade bait without the looming concern of free-agency.
No.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:32 PM
WSI Guru

Daveey:

"Big market' clubs have 'big' payrolls and are proactive. The White Sox have now finally decided to join those ranks and it's high time too!

Lip
Old 12-28-2005, 12:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyspun
I say keep all of the starters for now in case (god forbid) something happens to one of them during spring training or the WBC.

I guess the real Jon Garland stood up!

Yes and I think this is great news. Keep Fingernails on a blackboard! Middle relief and spot starting.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

link:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051228soxgarland,1,5169643.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
Banned

Crazy trade rumors might increase with this signing. 3 yrs 29 mil I think is very cheap for a pitcher who is young, pitches 200 innings a year , and is in double digits for victories a year. Knowing that he is locked up for 3 years and relatively cheap (with the way pitching is going for right now) will make him much more attractive trade material. Dont get me wrong I love the signing I think its great, but I also think it wont stop the rumors.
WSI Personality

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Yay Jon!!!!!!!!!!

NICK SWISHER <3
CARLOS QUENTIN <3

JERRY OWENS <3
BRIAN ANDERSON <3
---Miss ya Freddy and WILLIEEE!

Go Chicago Wolves
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE=MY LOVE.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Daveey:

"Big market' clubs have 'big' payrolls and are proactive. The White Sox have now finally decided to join those ranks and it's high time too!

Lip
I disagree. I'd consider the Braves, Oakland, St. Louis and Houston and maybe the othe Sox as proactive over the last decade. Hardly big market clubs. The Yankees, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers, O's, or the big market clubs, just throw money around and are rarely thinking beyond the next season. They throw money at holes because they can rather than being proactive.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Simply amazing news. LevineLine reported Jon didn't even want to consider anything south of $10M, looks like he was willing to do just that, and on a relatively short deal to boot! Outstanding decision, Jon to take "enough" and stick around with a team that ought to contend through the whole deal.

Or on the flipside, KW just increased Jon's value exponentially. And his flexibility is now virtually limitless. He's signed Garland at market rate for '07 & 08, which means that you can keep him to contend in '06, then if you CAN resign Jose, you can trade a market rate, short-contract Garland for a pretty huge haul. Or you trade a cheap ($6M) Jose on a 1-yr deal for relief help and/or prospects (although you won't get a ton given his age and 1 good year). Or you let Jose walk after '06, take the picks, and slot McCarthy in his spot. Or you can potentially even resign Jose and trade Garcia in his walk year.

This puts payroll at IIRC right about $91M per the salary thread. Now KW just needs an extra 2-3M to nab a couple of veteran arms.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
I'm absolutely stunned. This is unbelievable. 3 years for less than 10 million a year.

The pessimist in me, or maybe the realist, still thinks that a trade may be looming. This has to be the highest budget the Sox have ever had.
SAME HERE. FREAKING AWESOME. Yes, the eternal pessismist in me says the SOX are probably going to move do dump someone ....fast. However ....
times are different. Maybe just maybe they go with this payroll. People who havnt gotten on board and gotten season tickets of some sort, shame on you. This team is spending the money and TRYING to win.....
i feel faint ....
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Is there anything Kenny Williams cannot do? Should we have him try to cure cancer, send him to the MiddleEast to work on peace? Well......being our GM is more important!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 PM
WSI Guru

Daveey:

The Braves payroll for the last fifteen years has been higher then the league average and has at times topped 95 million.

The Cardinals payroll has averaged in the 90 million dollar range.

The Astros have had a sizable payroll for years above the 85 million dollar mark.

Until the past two years what was the Sox payroll again???

You are looking at the definition of 'big market' only in terms of population size. There's a lot more to it then how many folks live in your area, (and by that definition San Francisco - Oakland is a huge market!).

Attitude is a large factor is how you are perceived as an organization.

For the White Sox, as Williams had said and hoped 'winning' something of substance has changed EVERYTHING. Welcome to the 'big leagues' White Sox and God love ya for it.

Lip
Old 12-28-2005, 12:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
SAME HERE. FREAKING AWESOME. Yes, the eternal pessismist in me says the SOX are probably going to move do dump someone ....fast. However ....
times are different. Maybe just maybe they go with this payroll. People who havnt gotten on board and gotten season tickets of some sort, shame on you. This team is spending the money and TRYING to win.....
i feel faint ....

Who stole our Hangar?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Chet Lemon
Is there anything Kenny Williams cannot do? Should we have him try to cure cancer, send him to the MiddleEast to work on peace? Well......being our GM is more important!
A message to the rest of MLB from Ken Williams: