White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Damn! I was looking forward to hearing more crazy Garland trade scenarios on WSI throughtout the winter!!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

You can PUT IT ON THE BOARD
YYYYYYES!

I am SO relieved right now.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 PM
WSI Regular

Default Garland

Way to go Jon & Mr. Reinsdorf! The Sox are first class!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 PM
WSI Regular

Would anyone be upset with Contreras for two of Baltimores good prospects like Penn and Loewen and maybe another mid-level prospect? It sounds like Bedard might be hard to get from Baltimore.

Also, might Angelos remember the spanking that Contreras gave the O's when they went to Cuba more than some of the outings that he had with NYY? I hope so...

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing all 6 starters come to ST as insurance for the WBC or one pitcher going down early. You can never have too much pitching.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by twsoxfan5
Per Bruce Levine apparently the Sox are already over budget. As of last week it was reported that they were around 95-100 million and that was before this Garland signing.
How does Bruce figure? Someone has been posting a Sox salary chart here on WSI which I believe showed the Sox at 88 million - and that was with an assumption that JG would get 6 mil in arbitration. Now he's getting 7 mil for 2006. That still sounds like under 90 million to me.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
WSI Regular

I've been saying Jon should make this deal for the last few weeks. Its perfect for both him AND the Sox. The Sox get to keep Garland for 3 more years and get a little more out of their investment all these years. Garland gets some security - $29 mil - and this is in case, God forbid, something happens to him this year and he never gets to cash in big. Plus now he is optimizing his free agent value by becoming a free agent when he is 29. Its a win-win as I see it.

I'm starting to believe what Kenny has been saying the last few weeks - maybe he actually IS going into this season with 6 starters! Maybe he wants some reassurance with that damn World Baseball Classic that could injury/wear out Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
WSI High Priest

This also shows how "under the radar" the Sox still are... I hadn't heard anything other than Garland being out the door until this... If they can keep this under raps for this long from the great Levine I can't imagine what else is or isn't going on behind that Magic Curtain that Kenny is sitting behind!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
I'm absolutely stunned. This is unbelievable. 3 years for less than 10 million a year.

The pessimist in me, or maybe the realist, still thinks that a trade may be looming. This has to be the highest budget the Sox have ever had.
So basically it's the 7 mil assumed arb award and 22 over the next two years. Wow. When does the sox whirlwind 2005 tour end. I'm worn out.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeym
So basically it's the 7 mil assumed arb award and 22 over the next two years. Wow. When does the sox whirlwind 2005 tour end. I'm worn out.

"But where will he PLAY?"
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoobarbPie
Would anyone be upset with Contreras for two of Baltimores good prospects like Penn and Loewen and maybe another mid-level prospect? It sounds like Bedard might be hard to get from Baltimore.
I would not be upset with Contreras for two top prospects AND one MLB-ready reliever.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
I can't imagine what else is or isn't going on behind that Magic Curtain that Kenny is sitting behind!

Pay no attention to the man behide the curtains.....
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
WSI Guru

Welcome to playing the game the way 'big market' clubs do!

Very good news. Looks like Contreras is the 'odd man out' right now. Much as I appreciate what Jose has done he's at least in his mid 30's (who knows for sure) and won't be around much longer.

If the Sox want to deal him for a prospect and some bullpen help I wouldn't have any objections. You can't ask for the same thing for a mid 30's pitcher that you could for a pitcher who is 28.

Lip
Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77
How does Bruce figure? Someone has been posting a Sox salary chart here on WSI which I believe showed the Sox at 88 million - and that was with an assumption that JG would get 6 mil in arbitration. Now he's getting 7 mil for 2006. That still sounds like under 90 million to me.
Maybe Bruce is figuring in the cost of all those green seats.

KW has already proven himself to be a sharp baseball guy with a great business head. I can't imagine he'd break the Sox' budget on this -- JR wouldn't go along with it if that was the case. Levine is probably pulling numbers out of his...er...hat.

Apart from that, this is great news! Now KW can elect to keep Garland, or make him more attractive trade bait without the looming concern of free-agency.

So, how about Tejada?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

I posted this under the "Will the real Jon Garland please stand up?" thread, but it relates to this as well........

Quote:
I'm damn proud of him. Annual salary of just under $10 mill, I like it. It will raise Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras' values (as if the market outside Chicago hasn't yet), but at least he didn't lead us on and then left us (Carlos Beltran with Houston).

Jon, be the man you were last year and dominate. Chicago loves you.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

WEDNESDAY!
WEDNESDAY!
WEDNESDAY!

Thanks for staying Jon.