White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Makes me wonder what else is up. McCarthy is ready and not well-suited to relief (due to prep issues. He's a starter) Seems to me KW is not the type to let assets gather dust. I predict we'll be hearing from him on another Wednesday soon. If they keep all 6, I wouldn't be surprised if Fingernails on a blackboard starts season in Charlotte.

Of course there is one nightmare scenario for us FOCY, and that's Fingernails on a blackboard beating Vazquez out in the spring. Don't tell me it can't happen. Their stuff is very similar and Fingernails on a blackboard has much larger cojones.
I wouldn't call that a nightmare scenario; couldn't you simply then trade Vasquez in spring training or early season?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen
I would not be upset with Contreras for two top prospects AND one MLB-ready reliever.
I'm not so sure about any of this; we shouldn't quickly forget how totally dominant he was in the second half, and his impressive post-season performance. That could leave a big hole in the rotation that Fingernails on a blackboard may not be ready to fill. He was lights out at the end of the year, but simply awful when he first came up (remember the Tampa Bay game?). Perhaps he finally "got it," and I certainly hope that's true, but I would hate to get rid of a dominant pitcher like Contreras (at least last year--who knows for next year?) for a middle reliever or prospects. If you can't get an impact player for him (and I have no idea if you can), I am now of the view that we should keep him. I haven't looked at other American League starting staffs, but I have to believe that none is all that close to the Sox (anyone have any thoughts on this one?). When, before New Years, all KW has to worry about is a backup outfielder and middle relievers (most or all of whom may well come from within), that is pretty impressive.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

This news sure surprised me earlier today, everyone waiting for him to be traded and then he resigns.

So, I'm guessing either Contreras or Vasquez will be gone soon. If I would bet, I'd say they're going to ship Jose, but that's too bad because he became an ace in the 2nd half. Damn Yankees and the contract they signed him too
Old 12-28-2005, 05:03 PM
WSI Regular

Looks like Contreras will be the one out if someone gives the sox an overwhelming offer......

"Our ultimate desire ... was to keep this team intact," Williams said. "It may turn out that someone overwhelms us with an offer for Jose." - KW

White Sox sign Garland to three-year, $29-million contractBy ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
December 28, 2005

that quote is from this AP article on yahoo sports.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1983
Looks like Contreras will be the one out if someone gives the sox an overwhelming offer......

"Our ultimate desire ... was to keep this team intact," Williams said. "It may turn out that someone overwhelms us with an offer for Jose." - KW

White Sox sign Garland to three-year, $29-million contractBy ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
December 28, 2005

that quote is from this AP article on yahoo sports.
I can see why KW chose to sign JG to a 3 year gig, his prime years are ahead of him. It pains me to see Contreras be on the block though; he came up big time towards the end of the regular season. Perhaps there is something percitating already with another team.

Then again, who knows what is in the heart of KW...

Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wonder what an "overwhelming" offer might be? We still need to find at least 1 maybe 2 relief pitchers to round out the club. Oh yeah and get Crede locked up for 3 more years as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99
I wonder what an "overwhelming" offer might be? We still need to find at least 1 maybe 2 relief pitchers to round out the club. Oh yeah and get Crede locked up for 3 more years as well.
Crede is locked up via arbitration.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Well, looks like the real Jon Garland just stood up!

Old 12-28-2005, 05:44 PM
WSI Prelate

I am stunned. I totally had him pegged for gone.

Let's assume he'd have gotten 7mm in arbitration this year anyhow, so it is a 2 year, 11mm per extension. Meanwhile, Toronto and Texas had to give 5 years to Burnett and Milwood.

I just wonder what is next. I totally Garland was going to be traded.

Any chance BM stays in the minors a bit to start the year?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:46 PM
WSI Personality

This has been an excellent offseason.

The Garland re-signing is great news, and allows the White Sox to have a strong hand in the pitching department for another two to three years.

Another thing: I love the idea of having six starters going into the 2006 season. The deal for Javier Vasquez was smart, very smart, since he is signed through another two years. Look at the age of the White Sox rotation - all going into their late 20s (Vasquez turning 29 or 30), except Contreras (34???).

As for Contreras, I would be inclined to keep him through his last year (even if a contract agreement can't be reached), because I believe his greatest value to the Sox would be keep him for another year - no trade - you never know about pitching health from year to year. It is always good to have options with quality starting pitchers, and if a trade is a possibility, it may be better to wait until the midseason point, where the price for pitching goes even higher, and if the Sox figure that they can promote McCarthy at that point and deal Contreras, they could ask for more in return, and even get it. But for now, it's best to keep the starters - all six of them!

Old 12-28-2005, 05:53 PM
WSI Regular

Post SOX payroll

Notes: Success brings payroll increase

"As these players were added to the roster, the White Sox payroll also quietly but steadily escalated. During a conference call announcing Jon Garland's new three-year, $27 million deal, Williams estimated that the 2006 payroll for his team will come in at $95 million. Even with this jump of $20 million from 2005, Williams stated that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf gave him only one edict in regard to the upcoming season.
Reinsdorf wants to win the World Series title once again."

"We must win again and then possibly win again after that to change the culture. Jerry has taken on a huge financial gamble to try to win it again. I'm hoping I'm right or someone will have a lot of answering to do, and that someone will be me."

I LIKE!!!!! I LIKE!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
WSI Personality

Awesome quotes by KW there. If I could use one word to describe this man it is COJONES. What a badass.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have one word to say: Wow. I never expected Garland to sign with the Sox. I'm sure glad he did, but thought he would be traded before the season started. I figured JR would never pay that kind of money for another pitcher, with so much already on the books.

Clearly:
A) JR is still drinking champagne and when KW calls to ask, "Hey, Jerry, can we sign John to a three-year contract for almost $10-million per year," JR says, "Sure. It's only money."
or
B) JR got a whole lot more in revenues from the playoffs and is getting a lot more in revenues from season ticket sales than we ever could imagine.

JR is doing what he did with the Bulls: When he got a champion he put it all back into keeping the team intact. This is also the Sox's chance to win back the city, which is an opportunity that does not come around very often.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Yep. The Sox just won a world championship. The notion that we still have five healthy arms in the rotation is a bit far-fetched. I'll take my chances with five arms plus one extra one just in case. There are a lot of innings to be pitched in 2006. McCarthy will get his chance. Book it.

I'm guessing Kenny sees it the same way, too.
I'm with you 100% on this one, PHG. There's no reason to go out and give Contreras away now just because we might have an extra SP. Nothing on paper ever seems to turn out the way it was intended to anyway. Let's go out with all of the guns blazing and see what happens.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444

Last edited by Brian26; 12-28-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox77
This has been an excellent offseason.

The Garland re-signing is great news, and allows the White Sox to have a strong hand in the pitching department for another two to three years.

Another thing: I love the idea of having six starters going into the 2006 season. The deal for Javier Vasquez was smart, very smart, since he is signed through another two years. Look at the age of the White Sox rotation - all going into their late 20s (Vasquez turning 29 or 30), except Contreras (34???).

As for Contreras, I would be inclined to keep him through his last year (even if a contract agreement can't be reached), because I believe his greatest value to the Sox would be keep him for another year - no trade - you never know about pitching health from year to year. It is always good to have options with quality starting pitchers, and if a trade is a possibility, it may be better to wait until the midseason point, where the price for pitching goes even higher, and if the Sox figure that they can promote McCarthy at that point and deal Contreras, they could ask for more in return, and even get it. But for now, it's best to keep the starters - all six of them!

Keep in mind that KW is worried about this crazy world baseball thing--insurance is even more important this year than in the past. This guy is an amazing GM--and I remember the crap that JR got for naming him over Dan Evans (I think that was his name; I may be drawing a blank, since it was a long time ago). By the way, how DID Evans' tenure as GM of the Dodgers work out?