Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Default It's starting to happen: selective canonization of certain postseason plays

While in the midst of burning more postseason games to DVD lately, I've noticed how certain plays are quickly becoming elevated to "touchstone" status in the media highlights of the 2005 postseason. Plays like Pods' Game 2 WS home run, Konerko's Game 2 grand slam, Dye's single up the middle in Game 4, and the final play of Game 4. We've all seen these dozens of times by now.

What gets lost, though, are the plays made *before* these plays, to set up the situation. Right now I just watched Willie Harris single with 2 strikes on him in the 8th inning of Game 4, Pods sacrifice him over to second base with a bunt, and Harris advancing to third base on a fielder's choice. Only then can Dye become the Game 4 hero by singling up the middle.

You could also point to Neal Cotts getting the third out in the 9th inning of Game 2 of the World Series, with a man on second and the crowd reeling, as a big play, too. If the Astros plate that 7th run, Podsednik's home run only ties the game.

Anyone else have other examples? It's just an interesting phenomenon, and one that I knew would happen at some point, but to see this less than 2 months after everything is over is bizarre. It's as if a lot of these plays are just fading into background noise for many people, when their true import is much higher.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
WSI Personality

uribe's catch in game 4.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Cotts' 2 K's in Game 1 of the World Series before Jenks came in to K Bagwell. Pressure packed situation where he needed strikeouts, and Neal got 'em.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBowl
uribe's catch in game 4.
Once everyone stopped screaming enough to chant anything after the 3rd out at the bar where I watched game 4, it was a solid 60 seconds of, "JUAN UR-I-BE!!!!" Love the fact that his "unconventional approach to SS" came up huge in the last 2 innings.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireWoodys28
Once everyone stopped screaming enough to chant anything after the 3rd out at the bar where I watched game 4, it was a solid 60 seconds of, "JUAN UR-I-BE!!!!" Love the fact that his "unconventional approach to SS" came up huge in the last 2 innings.
haha, yeah, did Tim McCarver call those "Hispanic style clutch plays" the way he talked about an error he made earlier in the playoffs? Those two plays that inning were just plain awesome.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj
haha, yeah, did Tim McCarver call those "Hispanic style clutch plays" the way he talked about an error he made earlier in the playoffs? Those two plays that inning were just plain awesome.
You know the media;if Derek Jeet-ah or Miguel Tejada make those
plays,they're in the HOF.If Uribe makes those plays,it's more like
(YAWN),"He got lucky".
Old 12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
WSI High Priest

One of the other ones was Rowand's running catch in the 8th of game 4 for the second out, as well as Uribe's other good play on Palmerio to end the 8th with a man on 3rd. And who could forget Crede's plays in game 1?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

When El Duque was brought in for the last Boston playoff game and began to pitch out of that bases loaded, nobody out jam, I felt at the time I was watching something really special. I think it even transcends just White Sox legend.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy!
When El Duque was brought in for the last Boston playoff game and began to pitch out of that bases loaded, nobody out jam, I felt at the time I was watching something really special. I think it even transcends just White Sox legend.
Its hard not to put the Pods WS home run above this, but the tension at that point... wow. I watched the entire three-out display through my fingers... I could barely watch.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy!

the El Duque inning was some of the most exciting baseball I've ever seen. easily one of my high points of the playoffs.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 PM
WSI Regular

Don't forget Uribe's play in the bottom of the 8th of game 4. There was a man on third and two outs.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeses_h_rice
What gets lost, though, are the plays made *before* these plays, to set up the situation.
This is an announcer's call rather than a play, but it is a great moment *before* a great play that shouldn't get lost:

BUCK: Do you, sir, buy into the theory that people said with regard to Lidge? That it would have been nice to get Lidge in in game 6 against St. Louis in the NLCS? To get that taste out of his mouth from the Pujols homerun?

McCARVER: I donít think that taste is there.

BUCK: POSDENIK HITS ONE TO DEEP RIGHT CENTER FIELD!

It's not every day that you win a world series game with a walk-off HR AND make McCarver look like (possibly) even a bigger numbskull that he really is!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:52 PM
WSI Personality

Ozuna's steal in Game 2 of the ALCS. It got lost in-between the A.J strikeout and the Crede double. Who knows what happens if Pablo gets thrown out on the steal or if he just stayed on first. The Sox just took that game from the Angels and the steal was a big part of it.

Edit: Sorry bout that

Last edited by monkeypants; 12-10-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22
One of the other ones was Rowand's running catch in the 8th of game 4 for the second out, as well as Uribe's other good play on Palmerio to end the 8th with a man on 3rd. And who could forget Crede's plays in game 1?
Yes! Uribe's play to end the 8th inning. I actually consider that to be bigger than the one in the 9th. If Juan doesn't make that play on Palmeiro, the game would've been tied. However, I am in no way discounting the final out of the World Series Championship of 2005. I was watching this game at a Hooter's and almost choked on a hotwing when Juan jumped into the stands. Fantastic!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants
Timo's steal in Game 2 of the ALCS. It got lost in-between the A.J strikeout and the Crede double. Who knows what happens if Timo gets thrown out on the steal or if he just stayed on first. The Sox just took that game from the Angels and the steal was a big part of it.
That was Ozuna, wasn't it?