White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Mark Mark is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 143
Default For the over 35s in the audience

Last night while poking around the basement, I pulled a July 1976 copy of the Sporting News out of mothballs (well, not really, but you know what I mean) with Milwaukee pitcher Bill Travers on the cover.

I turned to the middle of the paper to check out the MLB boxscores.

What caught my eye there was a box from the Rangers-Sox game at Comiskey on 7/3/76. The Sox were shut out by Nelson Briles, 3-0, but the game was referred to as a "Breakfast Special" since it began, I believe, at 10:00 am.

Does anybody here remember Bill Veeck having this kind of promotion, or better yet, did anybody here attend the game? I think the attendance was a little over 10,000. I was a Sox fan at the time, but I don't have recall of this Saturday morning game.

That was a particularly tough summer to endure, with the Sons of Paul Richards crossing the finish line with an AL-worst 64-97 record. And even though his name appeared in the boxscore of that July 3rd game, I cannot remember Rich Coggins playing for the Sox. The Orioles, yes, but not the Sox. And who could forget Sam Ewing getting his cup of coffee as a DH?

The one thing in the weekly Sox article in that issue that jumped out at me is that at one stretch of the season, the Sox went something like 15 straight games without hitting a homer. Spencer and Orta led the team that season with 14 homers apiece.

The other thing that I thought was amusing was the transmission of MLB stats 30 years ago in the Sporting News, as compared to the "instant internet access" of today. The issue I looked through was dated 7/24, and yet the team-by-team stat section of MLB batting and pitching averages were only through games of 7/6, and the standings listed were only through 7/12. Quite a different era.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
eriqjaffe eriqjaffe is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 3,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
LI cannot remember Rich Coggins playing for the Sox. The Orioles, yes, but not the Sox.
Yep. According to baseball-reference, Rich got into 32 games in 1976, posting a wonderful .156 batting average in 96 at-bats.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
TheKittle TheKittle is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,154
Default

I enjoy look back at old magazine articles too. I always go back to the 1983 SI articles about the White Sox pitching staff. Dennis Lamp, Jim Kern, Kevin Hickey.

Whenever the White Sox play like crap, I go back and read the SI article about the White Sox moving to Florida. Nice picture of a Florida license plate in front of Comiskey Park.

Whenever I think about Comiskey Park I read the SI article about the last season at Comiskey Park. Great comparison between being a White Sox fan and a cub fan.

White Sox Fan cubs
Drink Beer Whine
Dress Jeans Pastels colors
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:33 PM
ewokpelts ewokpelts is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SouthSide Chicago
Posts: 10,008
Default

I think McDonalds sponsored that game. i belive they were promoting thier breakfast sammiches.

Gene (not over 35, but i read that nugget somewhere)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:33 PM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,903
Blog Entries: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Last night while poking around the basement, I pulled a July 1976 copy of the Sporting News out of mothballs (well, not really, but you know what I mean) with Milwaukee pitcher Bill Travers on the cover.

I turned to the middle of the paper to check out the MLB boxscores.

What caught my eye there was a box from the Rangers-Sox game at Comiskey on 7/3/76. The Sox were shut out by Nelson Briles, 3-0, but the game was referred to as a "Breakfast Special" since it began, I believe, at 10:00 am.

Does anybody here remember Bill Veeck having this kind of promotion, or better yet, did anybody here attend the game? I think the attendance was a little over 10,000. I was a Sox fan at the time, but I don't have recall of this Saturday morning game.

That was a particularly tough summer to endure, with the Sons of Paul Richards crossing the finish line with an AL-worst 64-97 record. And even though his name appeared in the boxscore of that July 3rd game, I cannot remember Rich Coggins playing for the Sox. The Orioles, yes, but not the Sox. And who could forget Sam Ewing getting his cup of coffee as a DH?

The one thing in the weekly Sox article in that issue that jumped out at me is that at one stretch of the season, the Sox went something like 15 straight games without hitting a homer. Spencer and Orta led the team that season with 14 homers apiece.

The other thing that I thought was amusing was the transmission of MLB stats 30 years ago in the Sporting News, as compared to the "instant internet access" of today. The issue I looked through was dated 7/24, and yet the team-by-team stat section of MLB batting and pitching averages were only through games of 7/6, and the standings listed were only through 7/12. Quite a different era.
I was at that game with my father and brother. It was a "Ronald McDonald
Breakfast Day" promotion. My dad took us because we wanted to see RMD.
I was 7 at the time, but do have a vague memory of the game. I can
remember watching the Rangers 3rd baseman Danny Thompson, who would
later die of leukemia.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
veeter veeter is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 4,499
Default

I remember that Coggins could fly.
__________________
Thank You 2005 Chicago White Sox
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:43 PM
MeteorsSox4367 MeteorsSox4367 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a Midway flight pattern
Posts: 4,371
Default

Didn't Sam Ewing play for Toronto's 1977 expansion team? I seem to remember him doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:50 PM
tebman's Avatar
tebman tebman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,928
Blog Entries: 12
Default

I remember that game being on TV, with Harry Caray making cracks about how early he had to get up. At least I assume it was that one, unless there was more than one "Breakfast Game."

Another bit of Bill Veeck folklore.
__________________
- tebman
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Fenway Fenway is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Home of the Stanley Cup - BOSTON
Posts: 31,348
Default

Veeck was started a game at Midnight when he owned the Browns and called it a Milkman's Matinee. I read somewhere it drew 6,000 which for the Brownies was a good crowd.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

The better one was the following year, May 14, 1977. The Sox played a game with Cleveland that started at 10:30 am. That was the game where Jim Spencer drove in eight runs in an 18-2 slaughter. I was returning home to Chicago for the summer from the University of Kentucky and as I was hitting the Indianapolis area I picked up the game. I remember thinking 'what the hell are they doing playing in the morning???'

This was also coming off of 'anti-superstition night' at Comiskey Park the evening before. Yes they played a night game with a promotion on Friday the 13th then had the players turn around for a morning game!

Eric Soderholm talks about this in his WSI Interview.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Dick Allen Dick Allen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 3,659
Default

I was at that game in '76, McDonald's breakfast game. The Sox' performance didn't exactly help keep me awake. I remember my friend had a radio with him, Harry complaining about how he had to catch this game on the way home.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2005, 03:43 PM
JoeyCora28 JoeyCora28 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
And who could forget Sam Ewing getting his cup of coffee as a DH?
I've got his autograph! I'll bet it's the only one that still exists...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Interlake Interlake is offline
New At WSI
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Old Town
Posts: 9
Default

Coggins must have made a few good defensive plays that summer. I don't remember any in particular, but I do remember as an 8-year old playing catch (long-toss) with my younger brother and whenever we made a great catch, we called it a "Coggins Catch"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Realist's Avatar
Realist Realist is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,483
Default

Holy crap! I had completely forgotten about that game.

Man did I ever destroy a whole bunch of brain cells in the 80s.
__________________
Then a gentle rain began to rain.
It fell down from the sky and washed my wings,
Washed away the blood of noble heroes,
And I could fly above beyond the forest
And join all the eagles, join my swift companions.


******* Epic Poems

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
C-Dawg C-Dawg is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Glen Ellyn, IL
Posts: 2,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman
At least I assume it was that one, unless there was more than one "Breakfast Game."
I too was wondering how many morning games there were. I was at one of them but couldn't say if it was '76 or later. I believe it was the game where we were lined up waiting for the gates to open and Harry walked up on his way to the gates, and stopped and shook hands and greeted all of us there in line. He was so nice! I'll never forget that memory.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.