White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,879
Default Ozzie wants another lefty bat

Quote:
The White Sox manager also expressed the desire for another left-handed hitter in the lineup, which could be one in the same with a true second hitter in the order behind leadoff man Scott Podsednik. That particular player could be Jerry Owens, the rookie speedster who impressed Guillen during winter baseball in Venezuela with his overall improvement and his composure on the field. For now, Brian Anderson appears to be the frontrunner to take over the starting center fielder's position -- even with Guillen's endorsement of Owens. Guillen seems set on moving Tadahito Iguchi down in the order and gave the nod to shortstop Juan Uribe at the order's second slot if Owens doesn't win the battle in center, or if another move isn't made.
the battle for Center will be very interesting in Spring Training, I can't wait.

here's the full article if anyone wants it http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2005, 09:38 PM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 15,709
Default

Please not Uribe in the 2 hole. We need a contact hitter there to move Pods over.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2005, 09:44 PM
ilsox7 ilsox7 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Printers Row
Posts: 14,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987
Please not Uribe in the 2 hole. We need a contact hitter there to move Pods over.
Not saying I agree with Juan in the 2 spot, but he did strike out less times than Tad last year, as was discussed in the thread about Juan moving to the 2 spot.
__________________
"If you hang on to the flimsiness of anything you may as well be standing there counting crows..."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,396
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsox7
Not saying I agree with Juan in the 2 spot, but he did strike out less times than Tad last year, as was discussed in the thread about Juan moving to the 2 spot.
That's a deceiving statistic though. Juan Uribe batted 9th for a majority of the year, swinging freely as he pleased with usually nobody on base in front of him. Iguchi, on the otherhand, spent the entire year taking pitches and/or fouling off pitches and getting behind in the count trying to give Pods a chance to steal. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I'd love to see how many times Iguchi struck out after taking the first two strikes as opposed to missed swings (I'm not sure Stats Inc. even keeps those kind of numbers).

If Uribe bats second, he's going to be expected to be much more patient at the plate.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 PM
bobowhite bobowhite is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 392
Default

I don't think that Uribe will be batting in the number two hole. I don't know many shortstops who do. The defensive requirements of the position normally are too draining for the player to also bat in a key offensive position.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,396
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowhite
I don't think that Uribe will be batting in the number two hole. I don't know many shortstops who do. The defensive requirements of the position normally are too draining for the player to also bat in a key offensive position.
Renteria, Nomar, Jeter....off the top of my head. Lots of SS bat second. I don't follow your line of thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 PM
ilsox7 ilsox7 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Printers Row
Posts: 14,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
That's a deceiving statistic though. Juan Uribe batted 9th for a majority of the year, swinging freely as he pleased with usually nobody on base in front of him. Iguchi, on the otherhand, spent the entire year taking pitches and/or fouling off pitches and getting behind in the count trying to give Pods a chance to steal. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I'd love to see how many times Iguchi struck out after taking the first two strikes as opposed to missed swings (I'm not sure Stats Inc. even keeps those kind of numbers).

If Uribe bats second, he's going to be expected to be much more patient at the plate.
I agree it's deseiving but if I remember correctly, Juan's K's were significantly lower than Tad's. Mostly, I just think this is Ozzie being Ozzie. The hting Ozzie does best is talk. Have to take everything with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsox7
I agree it's deseiving but if I remember correctly, Juan's K's were significantly lower than Tad's. Mostly, I just think this is Ozzie being Ozzie. The hting Ozzie does best is talk. Have to take everything with a grain of salt.
It would be an interesting experiment, IMO. Juan Uribe is a guy who can put the ball in play on-demand. He's at his best when he's going to RF and when he's trying to make contact, not hit the ball to Mars.

The key question is this:

Can Ozzie convince Uribe to embrace and adapt to the role or will Uribe just do his own thing at the plate like he has in the past?

Uribe isn't a great bunter either, and I don't think he gives you that speed they're looking for any more than Iguchi does. I'd really like to see Tad in the 5 or 6 spot in the order, but I just don't see it unless Owens hits about .600 in S.T. and plays stellar defense in CF (doubt either will happen)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,814
Default

I posted this in a simmilar thread yesterday:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
I'm Sure this is mostly in Colorado

Batting G AB H R HR RBI AVG OBP SLG OPS
2nd 147 584 157 103 16 65 269 321 433 755
9th 95 287 69 29 8 40 240 282 376 658
8th 136 460 123 52 10 64 267 308 422 729


Iguchi
2nd 131 507 139 72 15 66 274 338 434 772


A lot closer then I would have expected. If Uribe Doesnt bat 2nd I would assume that he would move up to the 8 spot with Anderson batting 9th. Uribe's numbers were his lowest in the 9 spot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM
pdimas pdimas is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Printer's Row
Posts: 2,007
Default

This doesn't seem like that bad of an idea at all to me. Uribe granted has been known to be something of a free swinger in the past but in the second half of the season he really became a lot more patient at the plate. Maybe it was that little step he added to his swing but it definitely seemed like he was seeing the ball a lot better. First three months of the season 12 base on balls last three months 22
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 PM
mdep524 mdep524 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,820
Exclamation

The other thing about batting second is getting on base. Everyone talks about moving Scotty over, bunting, etc., but I think a good OBP is just as important. You have to maximize the chance that someone is on base when Thome and Konerko come to the plate. It can't all fall to Podsednik. Uribe's .301 OBP from last season isn't even close to getting that job done.
__________________
2005 World Series Champs
"All I wanted was to get to the World Series one time. One time. I didn't care how I got there. I'm here with these guys in body, mind and spirit. People say it's bittersweet. It's not bittersweet. It's only sweet."

-Frank Thomas, 10/15/05
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 PM
pdimas pdimas is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Printer's Row
Posts: 2,007
Default

Look at September right around when he started using that step his OBP was .379
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 PM
mdep524 mdep524 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdimas
Look at September right around when he started using that step his OBP was .379
He had a great September, no doubt. If he could hit like that all the time we'd be set. But will it carry over? He also had an amazing September in '04, where hit hit .353 and had a .371 OBP. That didn't carry over to this season when he struggled for the first several months.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdep524
He had a great September, no doubt. If he could hit like that all the time we'd be set. But will it carry over? He also had an amazing September in '04, where hit hit .353 and had a .371 OBP. That didn't carry over to this season when he struggled for the first several months.
Another poster brought up that he would see alot more fastballs hitting behind Podsednik... I remember a lot of balls in the dirt that he would swing at batting 9th... there would be a lot less of those with a guy who has Stolen 70+ bases in a season on the basepaths.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 PM
caulfield12 caulfield12 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
It would be an interesting experiment, IMO. Juan Uribe is a guy who can put the ball in play on-demand. He's at his best when he's going to RF and when he's trying to make contact, not hit the ball to Mars.

The key question is this:

Can Ozzie convince Uribe to embrace and adapt to the role or will Uribe just do his own thing at the plate like he has in the past?

Uribe isn't a great bunter either, and I don't think he gives you that speed they're looking for any more than Iguchi does. I'd really like to see Tad in the 5 or 6 spot in the order, but I just don't see it unless Owens hits about .600 in S.T. and plays stellar defense in CF (doubt either will happen)
Uribe had 10 sacrifice flies...didnīt that lead MLB or the AL at least? Juan usually seems to bear down a lot more with runners on....despite being mired in the .230īs and .240īs for much of the season, he managed to drive in well over 70 runs. I would much rather have him bunting than Willie Harris or Aaron Rowand, I know that much. Of course, thatīs not the stamp of approval for a second hitter. Omar Vizquel would be more ideal...but weīve been down that road before. Juan has his inadequacies, but heīs still a relative bargain at $4 million.

Right now, it seems that they want to go with Uribe in 2 spot, irregardless of what Owens does. I donīt imagine Owens will make the team out of ST, but stranger things have happened.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.