White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2005, 11:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadetoOrta
To make that quick of a jump, doesn't he need to put up McCarthy-like numbers? In addition, does Broadway leapfrog Haigwood, Tracey and Gio Gonzalez? It's not like the Sox minor league system is devoid of pitching talent. Your thoughts, Randar.
Who is he leapfrogging? He's an experienced college pitcher taken in the first round... If he doesn't start in AA, you'd be scratching your head.

McCarthy-like numbers? I don't think so. The Sox prefer their pitching prospects to generally develop to AA and go straight to the majors if there is a spot or need for them.

Im not a big Tracey fan, he'll be a reliever IMO. Gio is 2 years removed from HS and has durability concerns.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 PM
WSI Personality

Randar, I get it hot and cold on Broadway. A buddy of mine coaches in the Big 12 and says Broadway is the second coming of Greg Maddux. Another buddy of mine is a scout/cross-checker for the Astros and he couldn't believe the Sox passed up Carillo and Brian Bogusevic, the DeLaSalle HS kid from Tulane. He says Carillo and Bogusevic will be in the show before Broadway. I guess only time will tell.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Randar, I get it hot and cold on Broadway. A buddy of mine coaches in the Big 12 and says Broadway is the second coming of Greg Maddux. Another buddy of mine is a scout/cross-checker for the Astros and he couldn't believe the Sox passed up Carillo and Brian Bogusevic, the DeLaSalle HS kid from Tulane. He says Carillo and Bogusevic will be in the show before Broadway. I guess only time will tell.
Both those guys are good pitchers. It's a matter of what you think their ceiling is. They will all likely pitch in the majors in the next 2 years. Carillo is coming fast, but he has health questions similar to Gio. High-effort delivery with a small frame. Bogusevich is a little more of a projection pick than Carillo or Broadway were. It really depends on when and how much certain people saw Broadway pitch.

The Sox saw him a lot down the stretch of the college season, he was the strongest pitcher of the 3 you mention during this period, showing command of 3 pitches with a legit out pitch. He also had a lower mileage arm than those other guys and less of a durability question mark.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 AM
WSI Personality

Speculating here, but I seem to recall a stretch where a number of White Sox high draft pick pitchers had arm problems before reaching the show. Is that part of the reason why a Broadway becomes more attractive than a Carillo?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Speculating here, but I seem to recall a stretch where a number of White Sox high draft pick pitchers had arm problems before reaching the show. Is that part of the reason why a Broadway becomes more attractive than a Carillo?
No.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't know what Broadway did at the JCs prior to joining TCU last year, but last year, he had 19 starts, and threw in excess of 130 pitches in four of them. Bogusevich also had 19 starts, never threw in excess of 130 pitches, but threw in excess of 120 three times.

Broadway was virtually unhittable the three times I saw him pitch.

Bogusevich did not pitch well down the stretch last year - Micah Blunt was our ace by year's end. Brian was also injured most of the year, although that kept him out of the lineup as an outfielder and hitter much of the year, not as a pitcher. Bogusevich was a workhorse for the Wave over the years. Bogusevich was a hell of a college hitter and a good right fielder, although I don't know if he projected any of that on a pro level.

The hurricane put our football team, not that it was much to begin with, in complete coma. I hope our baseball team is okay, although our stadium is destroyed - on the side of the campus that took water and it was partially demolished before the hurricane because it was going to be rebuilt this off-season.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 AM
WSI Personality

I don't believe he was in JC. I think he pitched for Dallas Baptist, which is a well-regarded program in a smaller conference. May not be Div. 1, but it is for-sure a four year school.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg
I don't know what Broadway did at the JCs prior to joining TCU last year, but last year, he had 19 starts, and threw in excess of 130 pitches in four of them. Bogusevich also had 19 starts, never threw in excess of 130 pitches, but threw in excess of 120 three times.

Broadway was virtually unhittable the three times I saw him pitch.
Thanks, I just recalled Bogusevich being a bit abused. Was that in the year prior I am thinking of or am I just confusing him with someone else?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Thanks, I just recalled Bogusevich being a bit abused. Was that in the year prior I am thinking of or am I just confusing him with someone else?
Maybe - but Jones doesn't routinely abuse pitchers; but we didn't have the pitching depth that year, so it's possible.
Here's a site that keeps stats on that thing - scroll down to pitcher abuse (although 2004 is off-line for some reason).

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
I don't believe he was in JC. I think he pitched for Dallas Baptist, which is a well-regarded program in a smaller conference. May not be Div. 1, but it is for-sure a four year school.
You may be right - I know he transferred to TCU last year and Dallas Baptist plays division 1 baseball and is well-regarded.