White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2005, 11:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Default More Chris Young news

Chris has been nominated for the AFL's Stenson award. It is a really big honor even thought it has nothing to do with his performance. It is dedicated to a former AFL player Dernell Stenson who was killed in Chandler in 2003. I'm damn proud to have a guy with this work ethic and attitude in our org.

"The six were chosen not because of their statistics or on-field performances, but because they best demonstrate the qualities Stenson brought to the ballpark every day: a quiet, hard-nosed attitude, a player who does his job without complaint, who plays the game the way it was meant to be played."

Read the article cuz' it's worth the time.http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=.jsp&sid=l119

Last edited by KRS1; 11-07-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1
Chris has been nominated for the AFL's Stenson award. It is a really big honor even thought it has nothing to do with his performance. It is dedicated to a former AFL player Dernell Stenson who was killed in Chandler in 2003. I'm damn proud to have a guy with this work ethic and attitude in our org.

"The six were chosen not because of their statistics or on-field performances, but because they best demonstrate the qualities Stenson brought to the ballpark every day: a quiet, hard-nosed attitude, a player who does his job without complaint, who plays the game the way it was meant to be played."

Read the article cuz' it's worth the time.http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=.jsp&sid=l119
Young is a guy like Brian Anderson who always has fun, works his tail off, and you can just tell he is grateful to be playing a game for a living. Both of those guys are jokers who keep everyone loose and just love to be out there every day busting their hump trying to get better.

Interesting that Chris' friend says he's quiet. If you go to the games early he's always out there in warmups messin with someone, having a good time, joking around. He's a very articulate and self-aware young man who is honest about his abilities, areas he can improve. Very coachable.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 AM
New At WSI

Say randar, I am a lot older than Chris. I used to be his barber. when he was small. I know his mother and step father very well. I get the quiet respectful version of Chris. I still cut his step fathers hair and always get the scoop on things when Chris is away. When Chris is at the ball park ,well we know it is a different story. I am very proud of him and he really deserves it all. His collage grades are superb just a well rounded kid.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

I love the Sox prospects. The future is very bright.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngs hommie
I am very proud of him and he really deserves it all. His collage grades are superb just a well rounded kid.
Which is why it is so easy to root for him. Sox fans will just love this kid when they get to see him play regularly. I know the guys who have had the chance to see him at his various stops along the way have all felt that way.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
WSI Personality

Randar,

It seems whenever Chris Young gets promoted [I consider the AFL a promotion] he starts out slow yet finishes the season with very solid numbers. I'm no expert, but they say the best players are those who make the adjustments and continue to excell. Is that an apt description of what Chris Young is about? If so, once he makes the adjustment to MLB, the sky's the limit, no?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadetoOrta
Randar,

It seems whenever Chris Young gets promoted [I consider the AFL a promotion] he starts out slow yet finishes the season with very solid numbers. I'm no expert, but they say the best players are those who make the adjustments and continue to excell. Is that an apt description of what Chris Young is about? If so, once he makes the adjustment to MLB, the sky's the limit, no?
Well, the speed with which they make adjustments and in relation to the size of the jump in level of competition. Kanny->Birmingham is a HUGE jump, especially for someone with only 1 year at Kanny.

Sometimes players make these adjustments and then reach a level at which they just cannot adjust, it's what you always have to look out for. The AFL is tough to measure because it is an extreme hitter's league and it is also at the end of a season, making it the end of a longer season than most players have ever experienced.

I'll be watching Chris in Spring Training and the first few months of next year the most closely. The AFL is good experience, but don't read much more than that into it.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
WSI Prelate

I'll be out there every game too Randar, seeing how I live in Scottsdale I'm almost too excited to get down to Tuscon for home games. I actually live 3 blocks away from Scottsdale Stadium-home of Barry Bonds. So whenever they have games there me and my friends from Chicago grill and drink. U r more than welcome to drop me a line on this site if u or any1 else r interested.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1
I'll be out there every game too Randar, seeing how I live in Scottsdale I'm almost too excited to get down to Tuscon for home games. I actually live 3 blocks away from Scottsdale Stadium-home of Barry Bonds. So whenever they have games there me and my friends from Chicago grill and drink. U r more than welcome to drop me a line on this site if u or any1 else r interested.
Thanks for the invite, I'll shoot you a PM if the wife and I make it out for Spring Training this year. She's been bugging me to go already! (I know, I know... I'm a lucky bastard)
Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
She's been bugging me to go already! (I know, I know... I'm a lucky bastard)
LMAO! I'm in the same boat. Mrs./Dr. Maurice loves interacting with the players (especially great guys like Anderson, Young, Rowand, and Podsednik). She also loves the new hotel we stayed at this year with Deuce and Mrs. / Lt. Deuce. (Fortunately, I have enough "points" to get a comped stay this time, because the cheap intro rate I got is long gone.) She liked B'ham for the same reasons.

I just keep telling her that I'm not going to book anything until after they release the spring schedule.

Quote:
If you go to the games early [Young]'s always out there in warmups messin with someone, having a good time, joking around.
Yeah, but at the same time he sets aside time for his focused pregame work routine (kinda like Rowand and Podsednik, and unlike many guys who just goof off before games). Once he's done with his work, he's real relaxed and friendly. It seems like Young and Owens became good friends this year.

Last edited by maurice; 11-08-2005 at 03:50 PM.