GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2005, 02:45 AM
WSI Regular

Location: Currently in Carbondale, IL. Grew up in Oak Park, IL
Default Effects of Minute Maid Park on WS

Running a quick team stats comparison on MLB.com, we can see that the White Sox should have a better time parking balls over that 315 foot left-field wall than the Astros, who are now 39 HRs behind the pale hose including post-season play. How much do you think this will come into play? Visions of Paulies over-the-monster ALDS HR come to mind. Your Thoughts...

Old 10-20-2005, 03:20 AM
WSI Regular

Excellent point. We are definitely a more powerful team than the stros. My only reservation would be the fact that the cell has been considered a homerun haven. My theory has been that this was due to us having way above average power and below average pitching before this year. If we are correct, our hitters like Crede and Uribe, for example, may produce like thirty homer guys as opposed to twenty homer guys in their park.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

It could backfire. it seems that some of the worst hitting funks occured when the Sox were trying to pull everything out of the park.

I hate contrived effects in the new parks
And if Aaron gets injured on that stupid hill--with its flagpole INSIDE the wall--...
Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think overall it will be a plus for the Sox. It seems that they often hit good pitching as well or better then bad. That wall is awfully inviting though but it really seems like the team has done whatever necessary to put runs on the board and I havent seen too much of them just pulling the ball.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:08 AM
WSI Regular

I'd like to see Crazy Carl Everett drive that choo choo they have
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

I could actually see Scott Podsednik getting an opposite field homer in Houston.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Assuming the WS rotation is the same as the ALCS rotation, it'll be a huge plus to have Garcia and Garland starting in Houston - they had the best GB/FB ratios on the team (Garcia's was 1.47 and Garland's was 1.38). And the 'Stros can't hit the ball into the Crawford Boxes if they're grounding out to Uribe and Crede. ;)
Old 10-20-2005, 08:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think the big X factor is the Center Field configuration. Unless we pull it, we're not going to hit 440 HR's all the time. Which means that the point about hitting funks and pulling the ball is very well taken. I hope our guys don't try to exclusively pull the ball into the left field seats.

I hope they just play their game, and I'm sure a few balls will be in the crawford impediments.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWard
It could backfire. it seems that some of the worst hitting funks occured when the Sox were trying to pull everything out of the park.

I hate contrived effects in the new parks
And if Aaron gets injured on that stupid hill--with its flagpole INSIDE the wall--...
Why the hell do they even have a hill in center? Not only that but a big steel beam inside the fences. They've got walls all over the place so you can't tell what's a homerun or not. Minute Maid has to be one of the worst-designed new parks.

Not only that but they've got their real annoying "Killer Bee's". I'm not looking forward to hearing that for half the lineup.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
WSI Personality

No doubt that LF helps us hypothetically

but...

if we get too tempted to pull the ball and push too hard for a HR, it could be a minus, not a plus.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
Why the hell do they even have a hill in center? Not only that but a big steel beam inside the fences. They've got walls all over the place so you can't tell what's a homerun or not. Minute Maid has to be one of the worst-designed new parks.

Not only that but they've got their real annoying "Killer Bee's". I'm not looking forward to hearing that for half the lineup.
The place was "unique and quirky" in its first year. Now no one gives a damn and they're stuck playing in that crap for the foreseeable future. Screwy dementions are fine, whatever. But the crap with the hill, flagpole, and weird "is a homerun/isn't a homerun" ground rules have no place in a modern ballpark.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiesox
I think the big X factor is the Center Field configuration. Unless we pull it, we're not going to hit 440 HR's all the time. Which means that the point about hitting funks and pulling the ball is very well taken. I hope our guys don't try to exclusively pull the ball into the left field seats.

I hope they just play their game, and I'm sure a few balls will be in the crawford impediments.
If they hit like they did in the first two rounds it's going to be a thing of beauty. Gap shots and balls rolling up that centerfield hill going for doubles and triples, a few "cheap" homeruns that wouldn't count in Shoota's stats and a big old party. If they get homer happy though it's going to be tough.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWard
The only thing that worries me is Aaron playing one to deep center.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
New At WSI

I think some of you are correct with your concerns about the Crawford boxes (short left field porch) in that visiting teams tend to get caught up trying to pull the ball over that 20 foot fence and turn over on a lot of pitches.

MMPUS actually plays pretty close to even as far as favoring pitching or hitting, so it's not quite the joke park that ESPN wants you to believe.

And for those concerned about the hill or the flagpole...the flagpole has been a factor on exactly one play in 6 seasons. The hill comes into play maybe twice a season.

That said, good pitching wins in Minute Maid. So there should be at least 2 good games there.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyzipp
I think some of you are correct with your concerns about the Crawford boxes (short left field porch) in that visiting teams tend to get caught up trying to pull the ball over that 20 foot fence and turn over on a lot of pitches.

MMPUS actually plays pretty close to even as far as favoring pitching or hitting, so it's not quite the joke park that ESPN wants you to believe.

And for those concerned about the hill or the flagpole...the flagpole has been a factor on exactly one play in 6 seasons. The hill comes into play maybe twice a season.

That said, good pitching wins in Minute Maid. So there should be at least 2 good games there.
Twice a season...I saw at least one in the playoffs already. You're telling me the ball is only hit to deep center field twice a season? Who puts a hill on a baseball field anyway?

And no matter how many times the flagpole (it's a flagpole?) comes into play, just the fact that it's there, on the field of play is enough. What if the second time is Aaron Rowand running into it. I want to know who designed that park because any modern ballpark should not have a pole in the field of play.