Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Banned

Default Are the Sox not ours' anymore?

OK, I used to be 21 and used to get this magazine called huH in the mail and it came with a CD. I heard this song called "Too Far Apart" by a band called Wilco. I liked it a lot so bought their CD called A.M. Liked it and heard he used to be in a band called Uncle Tupelo. So I bought all their stuff. I saw them play at a place called Mabels in Champaigin. It was a decent crowd but it as far from packed. I followed them and bought every CD they released. I'm 32 now and still love them, but so do a lot of other people. One day when tickets went on sale at the Assembly hall, I walked in and saw a line that stretched clear around the hallway. I could not believe it. I was still able to get tix but I was in the balcony. The have come out with 2 books, a DVD documentary and a live CD is coming out this month.

If you haven't guessed it by now, this story is an analogy for our WhiteSox. For as much as I love the attention the Sox have recieved, the lower bowl selling out for season tix etc. etc. Do we want our Sox to be this big. I liked the assurance of walking up to the box office, picking up my ticket and knowing my place to shag foul balls would always be open...IT WAS MY SPOT, IT WAS MINE...I'm afraid it won't be like that anymore.

I'll feel better when I find out it was true die hards that got those tickets and the place will be rocking all summer. I'll feel worse when I only go to one game a year and I'm in the last row of the upper deck.

Don't get me wrong guys. I still love Wilco and I am the biggest Sox fan you'll see. Simply, I'll have to share both of them with other people.

Last edited by mike squires; 11-08-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 AM
WSI High Priest

I'll be more than glad to share the park with an extra 10k fans if it means sharing the trophy too.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Banned

Location: Naperville, IL in the summer, Lamoni IA in the school year

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but I think the atmosphere at the ballpark will be more fun if the Sox can sell the place out.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:36 AM
WSI Personality

For as many people who get upset at the coverage of other teams (1908's, Yankees, Red Sox), getting a little love isn't so bad. You'll be able to spot the longtime fans from the johnny-come-lately's anyway.

It should be an electric season at the Cell in 2006!

Old Comiskey (4-4), New Comiskey/US Cellular Field (12-10), Milwaukee County Stadium (4-2), Tiger Stadium (1-0), Camden Yards (7-6), PNC Park (1-1), Citizens Bank Park (0-2), Progressive Field (1-1), Tropicana Field (0-1), Old Yankee Stadium (0-1), New Yankee Stadium (0-1), Fenway Park (1-0), Nationals Park (1-0), Kaufmann Stadium (0-1), Comerica Park (0-2), Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (1-1)
Old 11-08-2005, 06:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

The way I look at it is more $ for better players.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

The price of winning I guess.

Mike Squires, I feel your pain about the lost seats, I used to have a sweet gig at Turner field (3rd base side, under the Panasonic sign), but the prices soared out of my league, and I had to let them go. But I still will go to the games, and bring my son, when he is old enough. And I am sure you will go to your games too. The beer will still be cold, and the churros will still taste great.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm not worried at all. I'm looking forward to the Sox taking back some more of the Chicago market share. This title will hook in more kids to become Sox fans (think of all the people who say they became a Sox fan in '83) and will get people who previously never came to the Cell because they bought into the lies about dangerous neighborhood and terrible ballpark - and those people will be very impressed.

Don't worry, The Cell isn't going to turn into another Wrigley Field that is full of assclowns who are just there to be there.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Although there is something to be said for being able to go to the ballpark and get good seats and not have to wait in lines, etc., I imagine '06 will be similar in many respects to the first few years at the new park, when they were drawing well over 2 million fans/year. In those years, the park was packed, I ended up in the upper deck probably 75% of the time and the lines were pretty long. But the place rocked, there was some electricity in the air and it was a hell of a lot of fun. And hopefully the extra revenue will allow the team to become a perennial contender and make the South Side a destination again for top-tier players (remember when guys like Clemens, McGuire, Belle, etc. actually wanted to play for the Sox)? If that happens, I have a lot more faith that Williams will be able to sustain it, unlike Schuller, who (with some help from the strike) urinated it all away.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold2dibber
Although there is something to be said for being able to go to the ballpark and get good seats and not have to wait in lines, etc., I imagine '06 will be similar in many respects to the first few years at the new park, when they were drawing well over 2 million fans/year. In those years, the park was packed, I ended up in the upper deck probably 75% of the time and the lines were pretty long. But the place rocked, there was some electricity in the air and it was a hell of a lot of fun. ....
I'm hoping that the crowds will be more energetic than those early 90s crowds. In those days we had big crowds, but it seemed like too many people were there to check out the new park. I remember many times gritting my teeth as the crowd was repeatedly doing the wave. LAME! There were even instances of the wave going on while the Sox were in scoring position!

I expect the crowds to be MUCH BETTER this time around.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was an Uncle Tupelo fan from 1990. No Depression was the best damn album I'd ever heard in the early 1990s (other than GP/Grievous Angel, Exile on Main Street and Replacements' Hootenany). I saw them live in Edinburgh, Scotland on their Anodyne tour in 1993. If you like that kind of music, and you're annoyed at all the over-exposure of Wilco, then check out the bands at Bloodshot Records. Waco Brothers, Neko Case, Robbie Fulks, etc. And Bloodshot Records is located here in Chicago.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Don't get me wrong, I'm still grinning ear to ear over the fact that I'm a long time fan of the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Champions, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for those days of yesteryear when there would be 18,000 rabid fans at Sox Park that were hanging and living or dying on each pitch. We were a very special group, and I really appreciate the fact that the team as well as the entire White Sox organization seemed to go out of its way to thank us and include our very important contributors to their recent enormous accomplishment. Those days have now passed and now we all have to live with and deal with the dawning of this new era as Chicago White Sox fans.

We're probably going to be standing in long lines for the washrooms, Polish sausage, and our sacred churros. With a little luck and little Kenny Willams/Ozzie Guillen magic, these long lines will be with us for at least a decade. I don't know about you folks, but, the word "Dynasty" just rolls off my tongue. Let's cross our fingers and see what happens. If what we wish to happen snowballs with what has already gloriously happened, the bandwagon is going to continue to grow and test the old wagon wheels.

We old timers know who we are and we'll always recognize each other after just a few minute of White Sox talk. The Sox will always be our team and we can take solace in the fact that they were our team long before 2005, but the newest Sox fans should be welcomed with open arms. After all, we all jumped on the bandwagon at sometime. For me it was 1977 when I was twelve years old and the South Side Hitmen were dazzling the city.
And I could fly above beyond the forest
And join all the eagles, join my swift companions.

******* Epic Poems

Last edited by Realist; 11-08-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 AM
WSI Personality

I agree with much of the sentiment here. JR has repeatedly stated that Sox fans will come when there's a winner. I have no problem sharing the park with 40,000 others so long as it's electric. I went to a game in July against Oakland [lost to Zito, PK left about 6 guys on base], there were 39,000 and the place was loud. Defending our title, I think, will make the 39,000 that more rabid. If it means annually contending, more pennants, World Series titles, no sweat. I love what Ozzie said in Venezuela [which I though would be a thread by now] "I have 9 more fingers to fill with World Series rings." To that, I say YES!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadetoOrta
I love what Ozzie said in Venezuela [which I though would be a thread by now] "I have 9 more fingers to fill with World Series rings." To that, I say YES!
I like the cut of that keed's jib.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

I never "jumped on the bandwagon" at any time in my life unless you count birth.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike squires
OK, I used to be 21 and used to get this magazine called huH in the mail and it came with a CD. I heard this song called "Too Far Apart" by a band called Wilco. I liked it a lot so bought their CD called A.M. Liked it and heard he used to be in a band called Uncle Tupelo. So I bought all their stuff. I saw them play at a place called Mabels in Champaigin. It was a decent crowd but it as far from packed. I followed them and bought every CD they released. I'm 32 now and still love them, but so do a lot of other people. One day when tickets went on sale at the Assembly hall, I walked in and saw a line that stretched clear around the hallway. I could not believe it. I was still able to get tix but I was in the balcony. The have come out with 2 books, a DVD documentary and a live CD is coming out this month.

If you haven't guessed it by now, this story is an analogy for our WhiteSox. For as much as I love the attention the Sox have recieved, the lower bowl selling out for season tix etc. etc. Do we want our Sox to be this big. I liked the assurance of walking up to the box office, picking up my ticket and knowing my place to shag foul balls would always be open...IT WAS MY SPOT, IT WAS MINE...I'm afraid it won't be like that anymore.

I'll feel better when I find out it was true die hards that got those tickets and the place will be rocking all summer. I'll feel worse when I only go to one game a year and I'm in the last row of the upper deck.

Don't get me wrong guys. I still love Wilco and I am the biggest Sox fan you'll see. Simply, I'll have to share both of them with other people.
for bringing up Wilco, my fellow Via Chicago comrade! (and "Too Far Apart"-- a very underrated song). I remember when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out, how we lost Wilco a little to the cool indie kids. I was a fan of Wilco before they were "popular," just as I was a Sox fan before it was trendy, if indeed it is trendy now. There's nothing we can do about it except be happy for our favorite team's/band's success.
"All I wanted was to get to the World Series one time. One time. I didn't care how I got there. I'm here with these guys in body, mind and spirit. People say it's bittersweet. It's not bittersweet. It's only sweet."

-Frank Thomas, 10/15/05