White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 01:38 AM
New At WSI

To my mom, who grew up a couple of blocks from Comiskey Park in the 1920's, and passed away in March.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:51 AM
WSI Personality

I had my wife (a good Irish girl from the Southside) read this thread and she was so moved she asked if she could post something about her grandma, Jean. So here is her "guest post":

When I was 10 or 11 years old I was in my grandma Jean's bedroom (we had just moved to Glenwood from Riverdale). She was the only one with a TV in the house (a tiny little black and white - this was 1966 or 67 mind you). As I was curling her hair she was intensely watching a baseball game. I, being clueless to the game of baseball, asked her how she knew who to root for. She looked at me in disbelief and simply said, "The SOX of course." Needless to say I've been a SOX fan ever since. Know you're smiling Jean - love you!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:50 AM
WSI Regular

Post HCS Jr.

To my late grandfather, the Reverend Howard Calvin Shaffer, Jr., who passed on in the spring of '94...he was an All-American at West Virginia and a semi-pro pitcher, facing many Negro League teams in the '30's. He thought it was great when my dad started taking us to games on the Southside, where so many of the players he had faced got to showcase their skills at the old park. He also praised my dad for buying scalped playoff tickets for the sold-out Toronto series in '93, just six months before he passed away. My dad had never spent so much money for a sports event, and the Sox lost, but it was worth every penny.

I know he's watching with my late Grandmother, Elinor Best, who's pulling for the Yankees, and his second wife (my late step-grandmother), Shirley Kimball, who's pulling for the Red Sox...he probably feels pulled in several different directions...but I know that a big part of him is thinking about my dad, my brothers, and me, and how much this means to all of us, and that his heart is with the White Sox this year. Plus, he always loved watching teams with great pitching, and it really can't get much better than the 2005 White Sox!!

Everytime I watch a game I think of him, and I'll be thinking of him now more than ever these next few weeks.

Last edited by Shafe72; 10-28-2005 at 12:05 PM. Reason: grammatical error and addition
Old 10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
WSI Regular

Post Great stories everyone!

Thanks to all of you who have posted these great stories. I've read and enjoyed them all.

Here's to all those loved ones who would have enjoyed this season so much.

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default This championship is dedicated to...

One year ago a poster on the Red Sox message board Sonsofsamhorn.com started a thread during the ALCS to urge the other members of the message board, some 1,900 strong, to do the same –urging the Red Sox to win it for the special people in their lives who had loved the team through thick and thin.

From the grateful man who lost his brother in Okinawa 60 years ago to the sibling who dedicated a Sox victory to her brother who perished on September 11, 2001, there were scores of tributes from the populace of Red Sox Nation, young and old.

Needless to say it worked

So I start this thread in the hope that the same mojo will work for the White Sox.

I wrote this one year ago

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...25&postcount=1

Quote:
I just hope that my Chicagoland friends ( on the SOUTH side ) will feel like I do this morning in a not too distant season.
So White Sox, win it for Bill in Oak Park, Steve in Wilmette, Irv in Rogers Park who I have gone to so many games on 35th St with

For the 2 guys that befriended me after a Good Friday afternoon game in April of 1981 when over 30,000 White Sox fans attended church on 35th St.

For all the nameless White Sox fans I have met over the past 25 years....Go White Sox raise the gonfolon over 35th St
Old 10-16-2005, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

**** that. I say win it for one of the best hitters in the history of the game: Frank Thomas.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:35 PM
WSI Regular

I want the White Sox to win it for my Grandpa Matthew Brown who was a great fan and always cheered on the Sox. He passed away 14 years ago but I know if hew were here right now he would be watching the games with me with a big smile on his face.

I loooove Pablo Ozuna! The spark plug off the bench
Old 10-16-2005, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

You gotta do it for the Gipper...

Deuce
Old 10-16-2005, 01:02 PM
WSI Personality

Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe. Double Duty was a legendary star in the Negro Leagues and a frequent attendee at Sox games. He was always there for the games puffing on a big cigar. He passed away this August at the age of 103. I wish he could have seen this.

But for all the White Sox greats, living and deceased...Nellie and Luis, Billy Pierce and Gerry Staley and Dick Allen and Luke Appling and the South Side Hitmen, the Winning Ugly Crew and everyone who ever put on the uniform.

For Minnie Minoso. For Bill Veeck. For the Big Hurt.

And on and on and on....
Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
WSI Personality

fen, I thought about posting a thread like this if the White Sox won it all as a remembrance, but since you've got the ball rolling...

I know I'm not alone in this line of thinking. For this whole run I just can't stop thinking about my Dad and how I wish he were here right now. So for him...

Old 10-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Floridian
Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe. Double Duty was a legendary star in the Negro Leagues and a frequent attendee at Sox games. He was always there for the games puffing on a big cigar. He passed away this August at the age of 103. I wish he could have seen this.
took mine, so I'll say do it for Chico.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

For my Dad, who passed away in January
Old 10-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

For PaleHoseGeorge, FarWestChicago, Daver, Voodochile, and rest of the WSI Moderator Staff, who have given us this wonderful place to talk about our Sox. Thanks, guys!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
For PaleHoseGeorge, FarWestChicago, Daver, Voodochile, and rest of the WSI Moderator Staff, who have given us this wonderful place to talk about our Sox. Thanks, guys!
Hell yeah. Thank you and thank you again for keeping this site up. I raise frosty malted beverages in your general directions.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not sure if I'm in the minority when I say that I could care less about nostalgic lore of the past regarding the fans... I just want our guys to win it for themselves.

- Daniel Okrent, founder of Rotisserie Baseball
Closed Thread