White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
WSI Regular

What a way to start off my first post on theis forum. Looks like everyone has similar stories, and although it's sad to not have these people with us, it make this years season even more emotional, and fun... which is good. I'll never forget that 2000 season with my Dad as long as I live. We've got a neighbor who's on the Sox(can't say who) and we had great seats and parking that year.

Was anyone else at the game last Sunday? I've been to a few games after my dad died, but this one was extremly emotional for some reason. They played the "best of 2005 clips" on the scoreboard prior to the game and for some reason I just teared up. I thought it was pretty cool that Paulie, A.J, Rowand, and some other players stood out on the field and watched it as well. Something in the air that game!

Bill Aqua
Old 09-30-2005, 01:02 PM
WSI Personality

How about a hoist for George Burns, the wheelchair-bound fan who passed last summer? I know you're up there, buddy. See if you and my old man who left us on September 28, 1993 (yeah, that date is right, he waited until just after we clinched in '93), can get on a cloud and knock a few balls the White way these next two weeks!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

Uncle Jim and Grandpa Bob are very pleased I'm sure, now help em win it all.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
WSI Personality

Thanks for making me a Sox fan, Dad. I miss watching the games with you. I’m passing on our love for the Sox to your granddaughters, and this year they have really started to understand what it means to be a Sox fan.

- For “Butch” (1925-2002)

Last edited by 24thStFan; 10-01-2005 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertwangreverb
Was anyone else at the game last Sunday? I've been to a few games after my dad died, but this one was extremly emotional for some reason. They played the "best of 2005 clips" on the scoreboard prior to the game and for some reason I just teared up. I thought it was pretty cool that Paulie, A.J, Rowand, and some other players stood out on the field and watched it as well. Something in the air that game!
I was there, and agree...there was definitely some special energy in the park that day. I was wishy-washy about whether to go to the game, because I live in Iowa, and needed to be back that night, so it was going to be a whirlwind. Once at the park, I was SO glad I went because of the vibe there. Those "best of 2005" clips gave me chills.

My dad is still alive, so I can't participate in that part of this thread, although I would like to publicly acknowledge him. He's more of a Cub fan, and we took in more than a couple of games at Wrigley. But he was more than willing to oblige me when I stumbled upon the greatness that is the White Sox, and took me to many games there. And he was very excited to go when I invited him to one of the games against the Royals earlier in Spetember.

Gotta love dads who love baseball!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
WSI Regular

Default To my Dad and his Dad...

To my Dad (1920-1999) who only saw one World Series in his lifetime.

I remember him calling me into the living room (laqte '50's and early '60's) whenever an animated Hamms Bear beer commercial was on TV between innings. And I remember sitting out in the backyard with him on hot summer nights listening to Bob Elson.

After the clincher in 1959, he pop opened a Hamms, and he slipped me an ice cream bar to celebrate.

He took me to my first game – a twi-night DH with the Red Sox in 1965. We went to many more, including the final game in old Comiskey which was played 15 years ago today.

When I was a teenager and young adult, we had our differences, like all fathers and sons. But when it came to the White Sox, we stood on common ground.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

To Uncle Chester. He was a big, tough (mean when he drank, which was often) SOB who never talked much to anyone. But people used to be amazed at the long conversations he had with me as a nine year old kid during family gatherings! He talked to me and treated me like an adult because I knew his passion almost as well as him, the White Sox of course. It was the first time I remember any adult having serious conversations with me, an adult who truly cared what I thought about anything. That alone was so neat, even outside of the subject matter. My dad to this day is amazed at the relationship we had, nobody else ever got through to him. Even his wife!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Have to thank my great-grandfather for rooting for Luke Appling over 80 years ago, my grandfather, my uncle Myron and of course my Dad (1951-2005) who passed away in January. For making all of us (uncles and cousins) die-hard Sox fans. (hence the name)
I wont forget the endless discussions about the Sox. The closest Dad ever got to the feeling of what it might be to a White Sox Championship, was how giddy he and my brother and I were when the flubs blew game 6 and lost game 7 in 03'.
My brother whtesoxfan4ever, at our Fathers memorial, which on that day had bad weather with lake effect snow and wind and icey roads, and my brother opened his speech with 'Well it looks like Dad was given two options today for his memorial, One, he could have a beautiful sunny day or the White Sox could win the pennant, I think we know which one Dad picked.' That got a good laugh and cheer from a lot of us and with the way the season has gone I hope that its more than just a pennant, but a WS Title. This season is for you Dad.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

This ones for my Grandfather, who died of cancer a year and a half ago. Even though he was a CUBS fan, i can still remember the good times that we had on Saturday nights watching the sox when they were on wgn. He always gave me hell, but this is the man who taught me about the game of baseball, and he always wanted to see me happy. I think in a part he helped the sox get over their hump. Thank you grandpa. This ones for you
Old 09-30-2005, 05:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Gen. Sox Fan
Have to thank my great-grandfather for rooting for Luke Appling over 80 years ago, my grandfather, my uncle Myron and of course my Dad (1951-2005) who passed away in January. For making all of us (uncles and cousins) die-hard Sox fans. (hence the name)
I wont forget the endless discussions about the Sox. The closest Dad ever got to the feeling of what it might be to a White Sox Championship, was how giddy he and my brother and I were when the flubs blew game 6 and lost game 7 in 03'.
My brother whtesoxfan4ever, at our Fathers memorial, which on that day had bad weather with lake effect snow and wind and icey roads, and my brother opened his speech with 'Well it looks like Dad was given two options today for his memorial, One, he could have a beautiful sunny day or the White Sox could win the pennant, I think we know which one Dad picked.' That got a good laugh and cheer from a lot of us and with the way the season has gone I hope that its more than just a pennant, but a WS Title. This season is for you Dad.
I remember that memorial service very well, and think of your Dad often, since he passed away in January. I was one of his best friends during his college years. I have often referred to him and the influence he must have upstairs since the Sox have had such a great year. Thank's Greg for making this happen. I know you are enjoying this, and I also know you will be At US Cellular this Tuesday and Wednesday in spirit. I only wish your family and I could share the time with you.
Your Dad and I went to many Sox games thoughout the early seventies, usually cutting classes to get there. He was a GREAT guy.
If you still don't know who I am, I am the Father of your Cousin Terry's best friend Steve.
If you ever want to hear some great stories about your dad, feel free to write.
Rick
Old 09-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

OH YEAH. I FORGOT ONE THING.......

BEST THREAD EVER
Old 09-30-2005, 06:18 PM
WSI Personality

My grandparents -- Kate, Murph, Marge and Pat -- Sox fans all. I keep thinking how much they would love this!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Banned

My Grandfather who was born in 1918 - 1 year after our last World Series. He stayed overnight with me in 1983 to get Playoff tickets and went with me to many games as a child and I will always remember those great games played by the greatest team - The Chicago White Sox.

I'm sure he'll buy a round in heaven when they win it all!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:10 AM
WSI Regular

To my grandfather John who turned my dad into the Sox fan that he is today.

Thanks for starting one of the best threads I have ever seen.

I am making it a point to watch these playoff games with my 83 year old father. This is going to be a special year.

Some Gambles Pay Off
Old 10-01-2005, 12:16 AM
WSI Prelate

To grandfather Walter, who was born in 1906 and left us in 1988. He was a second generation Lithuanian who set the course of our family's following the White Sox. Also, of course, to my mother who left us four years ago.
Closed Thread