White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
Williams was a fighter pilot, right? For that matter, I don't think the military (or airlines for that matter) will allow people who don't have 20/20 vision or better to serve as pilots.
Well, that's not true. Pilots for civilian and non-supersonic aircraft do not fall under that requirement. There has been some debate in about the effects of laser surgery on the eye and if it would be effected by the high-G-forces incurred by maneuvers at super-sonic speeds, but there's no real "law" on it. My brother-in-law is blind as a bat without his glasses and flies an S3-Viking in the Navy.

Back to the point, I think we've seen some of the effects of contacts and laser eye surgery on baseball and other sports.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Well, that's not true. Pilots for civilian and non-supersonic aircraft do not fall under that requirement. There has been some debate in about the effects of laser surgery on the eye and if it would be effected by the high-G-forces incurred by maneuvers at super-sonic speeds, but there's no real "law" on it. My brother-in-law is blind as a bat without his glasses and flies an S3-Viking in the Navy.

Back to the point, I think we've seen some of the effects of contacts and laser eye surgery on baseball and other sports.
I can't argue with your brother's personal experience of flying Navy aircraft with corrected vision. My information in the post you quoted was based on the experiences of two of my uncles (one flew F4s for the Air Force in 'Nam; the other was a carrier-based E2C navigator in the Navy) who told me they knew military - and civilian - pilots who were removed from flight duty for having vision that became worse than 20/20. In fact, my uncle who was in the Navy specifically became a navigator because he was told he could not be a pilot because he wore glasses. Perhaps things have changed since the Vietnam era?

Anyway, I'm glad that a guy with excellent eyesight and quick wrists who can hit for power and run well and play a good CF and who is tearing up the minors is a White Sox prospect!
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If by 2010 the "middling expectations" that I've read for each of the highly-touted Sox prospects (Young in center, Owens in left and leading off, Anderson in right, Sweeney at first, Valido and Getz in the middle infield, Fields at third) pan out, the Sox are in for an extended run of dominance because they will have been able to replace departing expensive free agent position players with home-grown players who may develop into superior players that what the Sox have today, to complement their excellent core of starting pitching.
Wow. Even though we're in the middle of a thrilling playoff series that is taking all of my attention and consuming every minute of my day... it's hard not to get excited by this.
"All I wanted was to get to the World Series one time. One time. I didn't care how I got there. I'm here with these guys in body, mind and spirit. People say it's bittersweet. It's not bittersweet. It's only sweet."

-Frank Thomas, 10/15/05
Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Perhaps things have changed since the Vietnam era?

Anyway, I'm glad that a guy with excellent eyesight and quick wrists who can hit for power and run well and play a good CF and who is tearing up the minors is a White Sox prospect!
Yes, its has changed, now all you need to do to be able to fly any Air force or Navy plane is vision that is correctable to 20/20. However, you have to do it with the PRK surgery and not Lasik, mainly because of the lack of testing of the Lasik surgery in high G enviroments.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Chris Young wears his hat to the side alla Torii Hunter. You guys won't like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-06-2005, 11:56 PM
WSI Guru

How far away is he from the majors? Just on skill and readiness, 2007? Also, how would this effect contract talks with Rowand--what is his contract status? At what point are we "done" with Dye and Everett and start "experimenting" with Brian Anderson, the Chris Young, et al?

I'm NOT advocating a youth movement, just excited about the combination of veteran talent currently up 2-0 in the ALDS, as well as the long-term talent on their way up.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack
How far away is he from the majors? Just on skill and readiness, 2007? Also, how would this effect contract talks with Rowand--what is his contract status? At what point are we "done" with Dye and Everett and start "experimenting" with Brian Anderson, the Chris Young, et al?

I'm NOT advocating a youth movement, just excited about the combination of veteran talent currently up 2-0 in the ALDS, as well as the long-term talent on their way up.
I'd say earliest call up for Young is next September. Anderson is much more likely to be a fourth outfielder next year. I think Borchard is gone and the Sox will have a plenty good class of outfielders at Charlotte next year with possibly all three from AA moving up.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack
How far away is [Young] from the majors?
IMO, if he continues to be successful next year, he'll be ready before the end of the 2006 season. A crappier team might give him a shot if he has a hot spring, but the Sox are deep enough to take their time with him.

KW reportedly has expressed a willingness to trade Young in the past, but if he's moved up to KW's "untouchable" list, that would make Rowand (and maybe Anderson or Dye) extremely touchable when Young is ready.

I still expect Anderson to break camp as a starting OF next year.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
KW reportedly has expressed a willingness to trade Young in the past, but if he's moved up to KW's "untouchable" list, that would make Rowand (and maybe Anderson or Dye) extremely touchable when Young is ready.

Ditto on that...

Owens is so intriguing because he's a much better defender than Pods, so if he continues to hit for that high average and rack up at least decent walk numbers, he'll be an interesting OF option after 2006...

Heck, 16 months from now we could be talking about our 2007 starting OF or Owens-Young-Anderson...

I do think Rowand will be on the block, if not kept as a 4th OF'er for 2006 (would probably be good in that role replacing Timo, but then all OF'ers are RH'd)

Last edited by Randar68; 10-07-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

I think that most people are overrating our minor league outfielders.

Owens will probably be nothing more than a backup or Dave Roberts type.

I don't expect Anderson to be better than Rowand.

Chris Young is the one that intrigues me and I would hang onto him if I were KW - he could be great.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
To clarify, I also expect Rowand to be a starting OF next year, but not necessarily for the Sox. While there's a chance that Anderson may not win a starting job right away, there's absolutely no way in hell Rowand rides the pine out of the gate in 2006.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 AM
WSI Regular

Default Maurice

I am interested in your last response but I do not understand it. Maybe you want to restate it.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredrudy
I am interested in your last response but I do not understand it. Maybe you want to restate it.
IMO, there's like a 80% chance that Anderson will be a starting OF somewhere in MLB at the start of the 2006 season.

Barring injury, there's a 99.9% chance that Rowand will be a starting OF somewhere in MLB at the start of the 2006 season.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM
WSI Personality

I think a lot depends on whether we resign Paulie and Frank (assuming Frank is healthy). If we don't have a bat for the middle of the lineup, we'll have to pay to get one. Rowand, Garland, Marte, they all have value and could be factors in a trade for a 1b. Personally, I hope PK resigns but it has to be in the 10mil range. Much more than that and it would make zero sense.

It's possible if (please god no) Frank can't play that Anderson moves to rover between three OF spots and Pods gets a lot of time at DH.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

FYI, Chris Young was named to BA's 2005 Minor League All-Star 1st Team, along with Delmon Young and Jeremy Hermida, all 3 from the Southern League.